Deals -- Perennial List of Things on Sale - GAS Warning!

No, it won’t let me. It’s not a big deal. I am probably more likely to use it on iOS anyway, and even more likely to use one of the separate boxes this forum keeps tempting me into acquiring, rather than my iPad.

1 Like

The already inexpensive Danelectro Spring King is even cheaper for the next week from Sweetwater. Looks like at least one other retailer is offering it for the same price. $94.39 for a real spring ‘verb. Bonus: an unadvertised PT delay chip that can be modified to bring delay time and feedback control out front. I’ve got one and I like it a lot. For this price I am tempted to add a second one:

8 Likes

Golly, that might be the price I paid for the Spring King twenty years ago.

2 Likes

eventide is having a supadupa sale

1 Like

most are very processed (a bit like drum decap) so don’t processed too much on top. there’s few review online that way but still musical sounding because special attention on the processing with hardware equipment.

also 5gb because of the multi-program available :

All kits come with ready-to-go presets & patterns for Maschine 2, Studio and Jam, Kontakt 5+, Battery 3+, Geist, Geist Lite and Ableton Drumrack with pre-defined macros. Add the open SFZ format, and you can drop the drums into any sampler as well. The MPC Expansion version includes kits with colored pads, mute groups, audio previews and sequences. Supported models are: Force, One, Live, Studio, Touch, X and MPC Software, as well as the legacy models 1000, 2500 and 5000.

1 Like

Just a quick heads up. Although the Dano Spring King does have a spring in it, it doesn’t do anything other than when you use the kick board option and get it to rumble. It doesn’t pass audio through it at all. If you like how it sounds that’s great but none of your actual audio is being affected by the spring.

Your best option for actual spring reverb is simply buying a reverb tank and using the Gabe Roth method from Shitty Is Pretty (Google it and grab both PDFs from my friend Simon’s site, Funkydown)

2 Likes

No shit? I have that pedal (it was my dad’s, didn’t buy it) and it does not please me. I didn’t realize the spring was just for the kick pad, I’ll have to go listen to it better lol.

I need to look into this. I have an old spring tank around somewhere I took out of a broken fender back in the day.

1 Like

Yeah, man. I was disappointed with the sound of it when I got it so I took it apart. Not impressed! Since then I’ve got a dual tank bespoke unit (“Spring Kong”), a vintage Roland PA120 desk with Space Echo tank in it, the Vermona Retroverb with its own spring and a spring with the Koma Elektronik Field Kit FX. I’m kind of spring obsessed, I’m not going to lie to you…

2 Likes

This does not appear to be true. I’ve got it apart in front of me and a signal running through it. If I dampen the springs with my finger, the reverb is dampened. If the spring was only providing the sound effect for the kick pad, this would not very likely be the case. If the onboard PT delay were solely responsible for providing the reverb, the Reverb would still be heard. I suspect the PT circuit is there to provide a pre-delay as it seems to be preset to a slap back echo, but I haven’t dug deep enough into the circuit to know for sure. Plus, there is clearly an input connection to the spring from the circuit. Why on earth would they solder an input to the spring tank, then back out to the board if only the physical affect of the tanks were needed for the kick pad? That makes no sense. The tank output alone would do that.

5 Likes

Bypass it and see what difference it makes.

Edit: that wasn’t intended to sound argumentative, by the way. I’m simply saying: by all means, test it out for yourself rather than taking the word of a stranger on a forum.

1 Like

I didn’t take it that way. As for bypassing it, that’s essentially what I did by dampening the springs mechanically. The reverb went away when I put my finger across the springs. The dry signal did not. Let loose the springs and the wet signal returned. Mine appears to be working as advertised.

(and it may not be the best sounding reverb to be sure… and I’ve certainly got better - but it’s worth the current price to my mind. In fact I ordered a second one this morning)

1 Like

Perhaps I had a defective unit - it never occurred to me that this might be the case - but the only ones I’ve heard that worked as advertised are those with the external tank mod

1 Like

My son and I just probed the input and output of the reverb spring tank with an oscilloscope, ran a signal into the unit and confirmed that yes, the signal is routed through the springs.

10 Likes

I’ve worked on many spring verbs and have made a fair few too. I’ve found that the drive and recovery sides of the circuits often develop problems independently of each other. Whether or not the unit as a whole still passes dry signal just depends on the design. It sounds like there’s an issue in your driver side but your recovery side is good.

1 Like

I don’t have my unit any more - I moved it on a couple of years ago - but that’s very interesting to know.

@Scot_Solida I’m glad to hear that yours is fully functional. My sincere apologies for condemning the range on the basis of my apparently atypical experience. On a side note: oscilloscopes are fantastic and I absolutely love that you did that with your son. I only have virtual ones but they’re absolutely invaluable and my own kids find them fascinating too.

7 Likes

Free Roland Jupiter-x and xm Editor

2 Likes

This is amazing. I only bought Jupiter X a couple of weeks ago.

1 Like

Meris has some B-Stock deals

6 Likes

better than used prices nice

Grabbed this. It’s ace! Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

2 Likes