Dc11 - modular synth & deep techno

@ARVE Thank you :slight_smile: Yep modular as well as elektron boxes seem to be particularly well adapted to the genre. Make sure to share once you have something !

@scoobydoozler the difference is quite noticeable since my mixes were far from perfect. I think
koschitzky mastering did a great job. He does all the Pole Group stuff (Oscaro Mulero etcā€¦) if youā€™re familiar with them. There is much more low end and detail. My mixes were done before I had some nice elysia plug ins, which led me to buy a X-Filter 500 which has been a tremendous help since. I feel like my mixing skills have improved since recording these tracks.

And yeah since I just got an Overstayer, this is going to be my favorite piece I believe. I have run every stem of a good loop/beginning of a track into it yesterday and oooomphā€¦ itā€™s absolutely mind blowing. Iā€™ll record some demos one of these days.

4 Likes

Sounds goodā€¦ really though, iā€™d love to hear the before and after.

I dunno what you do for a day job but sheesh isnā€™t the modular channel like 3k? haha.

Iā€™d love to get my hands on one, elysia gear looks cool too.
Iā€™m just really getting into outboard for processingā€¦ I think itā€™s really cool how much a tiny little outboard pre, eq or comp can change thingsā€¦ Send me loops of the overstayer/elysia if you fancy, iā€™d love too hear them also.

cheers!

Yeah outboard gear is expensive. There are two versions of the modular Channel, the DS and the DM. The DS that I have is a bit cheaper and doesnā€™t have Mic inputs (but it does have the pre). I know itā€™s sounds strange but the Modular Channel is quite a good deal when you think about how feature packed it is; compared to 500 series usual prices. Itā€™s a big chunk of money at once though, for sure. Iā€™ve built my studio and had some money aside for that kind of stuff, so I decided to buy a few choice items to be future proof. Namely this and new monitors.

But really just one of the Elysia 500 modules like Karacter or X-Filter makes a massive difference. Itā€™s a good way to start without spending too much (relatively).

Iā€™ll send you some loops next week or so, remind me ! Same for the premasters

3 Likes

Oh man, that would be great if you share some loops running through that gear!! I personally was also thinking alot about a nice eq and compressor. Not sure how much the outboard would add compared to a good plugin. I got an apollo x4 for christmas :partying_face: and I just tested the pre amps with the unison with some recordings. Blew my mind! Must be simillar with some nice 500 or 19ā€œ eqs and preamps.

1 Like

@insect I will try to do a little video running loops though it !

Also I recorded a 20min ā€œlivesetā€ for new york modular society where everything runs though it. It should be up soonish.

Itā€™s now up on the Hate Lab channel, hereā€™s the link :

Thereā€™s a new ep on the way, and another of those urbex live stream in a semi-near future. Both of those Iā€™m quite excited about, more info soon.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s brilliant mate, nice one :+1:
Nearly 1600 plays already

Not gonna repost every podcast here but I was super happy to see that Decka opened his recent Reclaim you City for Rinse France with my track Naka Coffee :

1 Like

I have a mini improvised live set coming up on the 11th of March for New York Modular Society :

Hereā€™s the link : Twitch

2 Likes

Best of luck with the performance!

Can you share which sequencers you are most fond of for creating deep techno?

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: Two days to go

As far as sequencers go Iā€™ve tried a few of the ā€œcomplicated onesā€ and realised after some time that for me nothing beats the simplicity of an old school, open ended 8 step sequencer. The ones I have currently and that I love are the Verbos Voltage Multistage, Random*Source Seq8XL and a little Tirana II which is also amazing. 8 steps with clever features like different ways to reset, gates outputs per step, 2 rows of cv etcā€¦ will get you quite far for deep, loopy techno.

3 Likes

Just found this thread, loving the tracks, my kind of deep hypnotic techno, nicely done :+1:

1 Like

Thanks you ! Glad you enjoyed those

1 Like

Hereā€™s the live-set for new york modular society that aired yesterday :

4 Likes

My friend and I recorded a little live set back in February that is now out in the world as Unknown Movement podcast 10 :

Ableton for the drums & modular synth for most of the synths as usual

4 Likes

Hi !

I have a new ep soon to be out on Sigma5 and the previews just went up :

All of those five tracks were done during the quarantine, three of them in march 2020 during the first ever lockdown and those are stereo recordings done with my previous system with modular drums. The other two were among the first I produced in my new flat, early 2021, still under -less strict- lockdown, with the modular still but with the drums taken care of by the Alphabase; and this time with proper multi-tracking. Itā€™s nice to have a mix of both and this ep feels a bit like a transition to me.

(BTW the next one is almost ready too, and I have other cool stuff coming as well).

4 Likes

Couple of news :

I have a track out on this great modular-centric compilation packed with amazing artists. I was lucky to be asked to be part of the project over a year ago and itā€™s nice to see it come to fruition :

Global Modular Traffic (IDOW special edition)ā€. We love modular synthesizers and ā€œI Dream of Wiresā€ movie as well. Recently, we discussed with Jason Solvent (one of the creators of the IDOW) a possibility of a charity event for the benefit of creators of this movie and/or to support future ā€œWaveshaperā€ project. Jason was on board with this idea. All profits raised by the ā€œGlobal Modular Traffic (IDOW special edition)ā€ will be donated to the founders of IDOW

Hereā€™s the tracklist and the blurb :

Tracklist:

Friedensreich - Last Time I Said Last Time
Vaxoid - Schezarium
Stanislav Tolkachev - Not Long For This World
Sofus Forsberg - Helix Tesseract
Louwave - Walls
Porteix - G.A.B.I
dc11 - Jazzy Jazz
EMIT - Noism
Albert Chiovenda - The Keys Struck Twice
Friedensreich - Several Stolen Things
Danilenko - You dont have reasons to distrust
Vaxoid - ā€¦ssng
Vela Uniform - Thorax Pulsation
ASEC - Cast All Your Anxieties On Him
Splinter (UA) - Triet
Yanamaste - Drone
Keikari - Frozen Soul
Hakan Ƈepni - Marchosias
OTHK - Livewire
Exsiderurgica - Alveare
Vlaysin - Rage
Ƙperat - The face of pain
D. Carbone - Preacher
Hakan Ƈepni - Seal Of Astaroth
Danilenko - Cycle of Dissapointment

Pre-order on Bandcamp: corridoraudio.bandcamp.com/album/global-modular-traffic-idow-edition

SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/corridor-audio/cordex-01-global-modular-traffic-idow-edition

Facebook: facebook.com/corridoraudioua

Manifest:

What if we donā€™t know all the details? We most definitely donā€™t. There might be no limit to the precision, and even minor changes to our perception could be concept-shattering on a larger scale. There is a connection, a wire, that joins both ends of the spectrum; at least we think there is. Wiring up the system, we discover the tiniest particles at the high energies; thus, we explore the world in its entirety. This dream journey might never end. We hope it will never end.

Also here are a couple of recent podcasts with different tracks of mine mixed in :

first off vbk with three (!) tracks from my immersion ep that came out on Cosmic Wave Records

And this one by BONGVR with an unreleased track that will see the light of day soon-ish.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s some good producers on this, Keikari, ASEC, Stanislav Tolkachev, brilliant , will have a listen later :+1:

1 Like

So many inspiring tracks in this thread. Itā€™s obvious a lot of care is taken to capture these sounds and give them a very tangible, 3-D quality. Love the arrangements also, allowing for elements to evolve/mutate over many minutes. Superb.

1 Like

Thank you very much !

1 Like

My new ep ā€œviewfinderā€ has been out for a couple of days now, itā€™s available everywhere to stream, and you can get it on bandcamp as well of course :

This is a bit of a transition ep, with a mix of tracks done entirely on the modular, live recorded in stereo and a couple more recent ones with the Alphabase and multitracking. Old apartment/old setup; new apartment/new setup but always live recorded and with the modular at the heart of things.

To keep the ball rolling I already have a new one coming and I also re-launched a little label we have with my friend from Roam with a cassette release to come out soon. Really proud of this one, the tracks are banging , itā€™s going to be sick. More news soon. Iā€™ve also finished a remix which I quite like but I have no idea when it will come out. A long pushed back video project will finally see the light of day during the summer, and I should also play my first shows (in front of people) by then too. Very excited about that.

Cheers and thanks for listening :slight_smile:

2 Likes