Dataline on Push 3

Can’t wait to hear how that purse gets involved in the action!! :laughing:

Sounding sick as always, @Dataline! Settling in at high volume over here!

As i sit here considering an octatrack or push its cool to see one of the greats be able to get down on both

cheers, thanks for posting. great energy. loving the set so far

1 Like

Dataline, the set was excellent! My husband came in towards the end of it, paused for a moment and said, “Wow…this is really intense.”

To which I just smiled.

8 Likes

Wow! Sounds great! Seriously inspiring stuff.

Do you talk about how you’re mapping the midimix faders in the tutorial?

Do you map the knobs to anything?

I’ve been using a 16n faderbank mapped to various filters and effects on an iPad to try an emulate the octatrack crossfader.

I’m now thinking that I could use a push 3 in place of Octatrack/Digitakt, maybe even Digitone…

Thanks!
Yea, I map the faders and knobs to Live.
In the tutorial, I talk about how my approach and workflow is and which parameters I mapped to Midi controller. I don’t necessarily show how to map Ableton to midi - there are many other sources for that. :slight_smile:

Yeap, Push seems to replace lot of things for me. However the caveat is that it is attached to a computer in the way I like to work with it. But on the other hand, I find this an advantage. For example, before the gig, I was in the hotel room doing final tweaks to my set on Laptop. The gear was already set at the venue. So I go to stage, plug in the USB cable and bam, you are good to go. No messing around. I did not even shut down Live on my laptop.

11 Likes

When will you, or are you going to upload a deep dive video on your workflow with the push any time soon?

Edit: never mind you already posted that. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For those looking at Push3/Live11 for OT style fader manipulations, keep an eye on Bitwig 5. The newly introduced Project Macros are amazing. For example:

13 Likes

I feel the octatrack rage on file management, there should be a setting to autosave recorded samples.

One thought about limitations, and this I’m sure is just my taste so it’s not a critique or universal statement…

The thing I’ve always loved about work from Mr Dataline on octatrack and earlier elektron machines is a kind of sparse clarity in each line of sound. Even tho everything is very densely programmed, each sound really stands out, without ever becoming a wash of sound. I think this comes from the limitation of monophonic tracks on octatrack and similar.

The Push stuff above doesn’t have this characteristic.

To be clear, just a matter of taste, and it’s always interesting to think how tools drive particular types of output. And it might be a deliberate choice too!

I’ve been thinking about Push too, I’m sure it’s convenient as hell and that counts for a lot!

1 Like

So I guess in this good old controller mode there’s not much push 3 can do that push 2 couldn’t. Or are you finding push 3 have some advantage over push 2 on this kind of setup?

If Bigwig had its own dedicated controller I would seriously consider it. I know some are trying to make the push controllers compatible but seems to be lot a of hassle and limited.

1 Like

Oh I tried this way of working on Push2 and it did not work for me.
It was much more clumsy with an audio interface hanging around, which introduced more problems.
On Push3, I use the CV outs in the studio - and the ADAT connection which I use a lot. Plug my midi controller straight into Push USB A input… etc

I think Push 3 is far superior compared to Push 2. However, I can see that it is pretty easy to oversee that :slight_smile:

Yes, I would say it is a deliberate choice. If I want that sound, I just record that elektron sound into Push and it’s done.
In my ears, I find not having this as a breath of fresh air.

No, my ears are not breathing :smiley:

8 Likes

I see. It makes sense in a liveset to have one less audio interface connected.

I agree on so many points.

I love seeing you embracing the technology instead of ruminating the pros and cons.

That is the spirit of techno imho.

Great set and source of inspiration.

As always.

10 Likes

Excuse my ignorance, but would you mind explaining how you use the ADAT connection exactly?
Don’t you use some kind of audio interface to extend your audio inputs?

In the studio, I have ADAT device connected to Push ADAT in.
ADAT device has 8 inputs. I connect lot of different gear, sync them up, record loops from the ones I want.

I can also use the 2 inputs on Push - which equals to 10 inputs in total.
For me, it is awesome to be able to apply different fx or whatnot to each input and sample them when needed. It’s a bit like an Octatrack with 10 inputs - the way I am using and seeing it.

I find this process much simpler than using an audio interface, because ADAT works plug n play for me - rather than plug n pray.

13 Likes

this is crazy. should b implemented in Live 100%

3 Likes

:100:

1 Like

Absolutely phenomenal work. The first thing I did when I got the Push 3 was to connect it to ADAT, fully intending to rebuild my favorite crossfader effects from the Octatrack. The workflow is tough to get used to because it feels like I’m still using the computer quite a bit, something I have avoided for a number of reasons. However, the sound quality and customizability are unparalleled so far.

4 Likes

its just a pity they didnt include a proper mic pre amp and phantom power in push 3. which adat interfaces do you use? Expert Sleepers, Focusrite, behringer, rme … ?

1 Like

Check the dedicated thread Push 3 - Audio interfaces / Digital Mixers

1 Like