Dataline on Push 3

Very nice and the use of a real analog instrument like the Trumpet is good.
But why the hell, Dataline is controlling Push 3 by another Midi device (SH-01).

Also, I don’t like on Push 3 Standalone that it has no OS (MAC, Windows) on it so that I cannot use 3rd party plug-in anymore.

Because I assigned the parameters I need from multiple tracks & their FX units to an easy to use & quick unit with sliders.

2 Likes

How dare you. 🥸

5 Likes

Hi @Dataline Did you try to map 2 midi controllers connected through a USB Hub to Push 3? I mapped 2 Midi Fighter Twister in Live and works perfectly. But when I transfer the project to Push and connect them to it, Push see both but just 1 is working (I configured them both with different midi channels each, of couse).
Any idea? Another bug of Push 3?
Thanks a lot!!

Push 3 + Perkons LiveSet!

After 20 years of gigging mainly with Octatrack & Elektrons - i find it so fitting to change my workflow to Push - which acts like a bridge between Software & Hardware instruments. I can use my favorite plugins such as Fors Opal & Roland 303 - along side the great Perkons drum machine. With the help of a midi controller, I have all the controls I need in front me.

Dare I say, this workflow almost feels like an ‘Octatrack 2 dream’ of mine… don’t let others stop your dreams.

If you would like to know more about the setup and the workflow - you can download the Track & Teach tutorial video & 4-Track EP at Bandcamp or Gumroad.

The tutorial video goes through how Ableton Push 3 was integrated into my Liveset along with Erica Synths Perkons and a Midi controller.

Liveset Video was recorded at Minimal Mondays in Lithuania, Vilnius. June 2023.

51 Likes

the set (and wow that roland 303) sounds great!

is there a reason why your midimix is turned sideways? is that how you normally use it (and if so, why?) or was it about lack of booth / table space?

So he can pretend they are octatrack crossfaders.

8 Likes

yes roland 303 plugin is no bullshit - almost unbelievable to my ears.

The midi controller is sideways on purpose, its basically like having 8 crossfaders from OT :smiley:

18 Likes

Maybe one day it will be possible to use third-party plugins (built for Linux) on the standalone Push 3 :crossed_fingers:

Really looking forward to check it out !

theoretically CLAP plugins already supported on linux, so maybe the vendors will start embracing the format and it should work on the push3, but in practice it’s probably lots of work so they will probably wait couple of years to see if the push3 grows to a substantial enough market

1 Like

bought the EP. Love the live set so far.

1 Like

So you’re using the Push 3 in controller mode now?

Fantastic performance.

To the points about Push 3 versus Octatrack on crossfader scenes. I am still not convinced that the Push 3 will replace OT on that front, but I would be happy to have that challenged. It’s a native feature and clearly defined part of the OT, whereas on the Push the scope of setting up something to mimic that is what I largely view as left to the users imagination. I think at the end of the day most end users opt for the “on the rails” experience over the DIY experience.

Agree, from what I see the OT is still unparalleled for realtime mangling/performance fluidity, though obviously Push3, Force, Maschine+ etc kick its butt in many areas, where OT wins is in efficiency of nuts and bolt level sequencing, realtime loop capture and scene manipulation.

I think the points about file management and idiosyncratic operation on OT are valid though.

which 303 plugin is it? I’ve lost track with Roland’s weird purchasing/subscription/whatever models. :slight_smile:

I am really enjoying this, so thank you for posting. Perfect for focusing on work today (and not posting on elektronauts…?! :sweat_smile:)

He uses what he wants, when he wants, however he wants, because he wants to. He is Dataline.

7 Likes

Oh man, thank you so much…
Makes me feel at unease knowing your amazing tutorial video content!!! Superb stuff!

Yes! I am using Push as controller and audio & midi interface for hardware gear. By doing this, I can use Roland 303 plugin, Fors goodies, run along with hardware and also record my set as Live arrangement, with midi CCs. It is simply crazy to be able to record in such fidelity and audio inputs… Instead of just Stereo out which I used to get.

Also working in the studio in Controller mode is so good for me. I have the hands on approach with Push and many gear attached to ADAT ins (Blast Beats, Machinedrum etc) So I can play around and instantly capture loops.
When I need to edit them, turn to computer,
Then I turn to Push, play around with the Scenes and arrange them with Perkons,
Turn to Live, assign Midi controller of FX, Sends etc…
Best of both worlds, for real.

Oh yea, using Fors stuff - especially Opal, just wow. It gives me lot of that Elektron vibe very easily, integrated with plugins and hardware.

I dont know, its hard to explain but all this is very exciting and liberating to me.

Thinking about it, this workflow was very similar to what I was trying to do around 2003 when I got the Machinedrum by selling most of the gear in this room. Using Live and Machinedrum + other hardware for livesets

But did not work out at the time due to my computer, controllers were lacking, sound card issues etc etc. Then things became hardware for me.
Now its full-circle.

Absolutely, nothing comes close to it in mangling/performance fluidity. I have been using OT more like a mixer, main brain for long time. And it worked for me with its own charming difficulties. With all that experimentation and desires - I can now make my own workflow on Push. Maybe I can enjoy OT much more by just messing around with it - hell, it could even be a good addition next to Perkons but, probably too much in this setup.

Heyyy! Thanks for listening!
Yea - its the Roland Cloud 303.

The sequencer, sound, bah… it sounds and plays so good to me.

Haha!!! Big He-Man fan here - got all the episodes. Sure they did not age so well but still, awesome vibe!

13 Likes

You my friend are the living proof of it, with your OT speed and instinctive performance chops :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Nice to know you’re out there performing wild tracks!