Push 3 Users Thread

I’ve been having the same thought. There is a handful of devices Push completely replaces for me, microfreak being one of them. I’m also running out of reasons to keep my SH-4d and a few of my FX pedals.

1 Like

Anyone experiencing an issue, possibly a bug, where when you drop a sample into an audio clip, a sample containing a tail (it is a perfect loop before the tail), and click edit and set the mark to 1.1 and warp if that when you return to the audio editor it has the beginning of the file at -1.4.1 cutting off the first quarter note?

Do you mean that with the Controller version, using a different interface than Push 3’s built in interface, you can still use the CV outputs?

You would need to either create an aggregate device for using multiple audio interfaces at once, or use Push’s interface to use the pedal outs for CV.

1 Like

Can I just check? multiple note copy and paste? I can see how to select multiple notes, is there a copy/paste function yet? Seems pretty important in a standalone instrument.

Cheers

I am really loving the new workflow with Push 3 and other hardware stuff!

10 Likes

Awesome ! Combining Perkons and push was one of the reasons I got push. What a combo !

1 Like

Copy/Paste is there, but not with multiple notes.

Unfortunately it’s not part of the clip edit view. You have to switch the layout to a step layout, then select your note to paste into another step.

Duplicate + Note to copy, then press an empty step to paste it.

Hopefully we’ll see more functionality that utilizes the jog wheel for this, in clip view.

2 Likes

Turns out Ableton has contacted me too soon and the replacement cables are only just being received at their warehouse. I should get mine next week. The wait continues! :cry::joy:

3 Likes

I ran a few tests on my sequencers using MLA
http://www.users.on.net/~mcdds001/mmmmq … itter.html

And P3 doesn’t look to be very stable as a midi clock generator in comparison:

Device under test…Clock Tempo…Clock RMS Jitter (Average mS)…Clock Peak Jitter (Max mS)
AbletonViaRolandMX-1@100BPM…100…0.169…1.553
Deluge@100BPM…99.998…0.006…0.016
ERMMidiClock+@120BPM…120.091…0.004…0.013
MC-101@100BPM…100…0.006…0.032
ModelCycles@120BPM…119.999…0.181…0.269
P3S@120BPM…119.991…0.892…2.472
P3S@100BPM…99.992…0.888…3.228
P3Control@100BPM…100…0.071…0.526
P3Control@120BPM…120…0.084…0.498

Edit: sorry about the formatting

7 Likes

More Max for Live shenanigans…

11 Likes

Sounds delicious!

1 Like

Gosh, reading PIES there reminds me of the Steak n Ale Pies in UK…
I’ll have 55 of them pls

5 Likes

Psh. You know the pie dial goes up to 127? :smiley:

Hoping you amazing M4L smiths share you creations, when the time is right!

3 Likes

@handed so what is it that you are experimenting with?

1 Like

Mac or pc? My MacBook feeding the p3 into a drum machine really didn’t jitter much at all.

Great setup.
Have you looked into the EVO 16 or SP8 , instead of the 18i20?
I’m researching which one fits best the push 3 for adat

The SP8 and OctoPre both seemed like too many mic preamps to invest in, given that my setup is mostly line level. I also found a user on the Ableton forum that was having difficulty setting the device to receive clock via ADAT. I’m not sure that’s actually an issue—if anyone here has one of these devices set up with Push over ADAT, please chime in.

I looked at the EVO and the 18i20 together and had difficulty discerning which unit had the superior feature set. I’m sure someone there’s a Gear Slut poster who’s been active since 2006 willing to disagree with me on this point, but in my opinion, at this tier of interface products, sound quality is no longer a selling point. They have all become indiscernibly transparent and clear with huge amounts of headroom. I’m not a signal snob (at least when it comes to input transparency) so I was mostly looking for which device had a better i/o setup, physical interface, or software support for configuration.

• On the i/o front, they’re identical.
  • I prefer the dedicated physical knobs on the front of the 18i20
  • As for software configuration, I was already familiar with Focusrite Control, having previously owned a Scarlett Duo. I wouldn’t actually say that I’m a fan, but it works.

And this has turned out to be a major consideration. I spent a solid two days messing around with the virtual i/o configuration so that it will work properly in standalone without being connected to Ableton. As of now, it’s in “set and forget” mode.

I didn’t get a good sense of how the EVO 16 configuration app compares. If someone convinced me that it’s easier to use it might have affected my purchase decision. As of right now, I’ve got it rack mounted under my desk and I’m super happy with it.

2 Likes

I was watching video today, promo stuff from Audient, but at least the software looks easier there.
The issue I encountered on the 18i20 is that, a while back when setting up different outs, I think one pair of physical outs is normaled to the headphone out and I couldn’t find a way to change that. It’s been a while since attempting it and mine is racked in my desk, so I’m not looking to try that for fun again. I do need to connect the ADAT cables, but I don’t want to play around with that.

In that promo video from Audient… it looks like that might not be an issue on the EVO 16.

I’m definitely curious about the Audient line. As far as quality is concerned, at the time, I came to the conclusion (my own opinion, before the GS posters chime in) that the 18i20 was the best quality and had the best features at its price range before jumping over the 1k+ threshold.

I picked up my 3rd gen as it was released, and now it seems there’s competition, which is a good thing.

The only faults I have with it happened over time, and they are scratchy pots on the headphone volume and a jumpy pot on input no. 7. I’ve tried air compressors as I hear that’s usually dust, but no luck so far.

I would love to give the EVO16 a try, but I’m more interested in picking up something like the ES-8 now for Eurorack use. I can only sacrifice 8-10hp, so I’m also holding out for what boredbrain releases. They were suggesting a version 2 release in the summer.

And I don’t want a DC coupled interface that can handle CV ins/outs. I like the in-rack solutions better for CV/Eurorack stuff and adding additional line level ins/outs would be for outboard effects and instruments.

Do you think it’s possible to tighten up the clock with firmware update or it’s totally hardware issue and nothing can be done about it?