Damo Suzuki RIP

From Can / Spoon Records’ Facebook page:

It is with great sadness that we have to announce the passing of our wonderful friend Damo Suzuki, yesterday, Friday 9th February 2024.
His boundless creative energy has touched so many over the whole world, not just with Can, but also with his all continents spanning Network Tour. Damo’s kind soul and cheeky smile will be forever missed.
He will be joining Michael, Jaki and Holger for a fantastic jam!
Lots of love to his family and children.

How sad; I had the great pleasure of meeting Damo many times, and playing a few gigs as part of his ever-transforming Network of like-minded musicians at moments on his never-ending world tour.

So passes another legend from this world.

42 Likes

oh no

3 Likes

I think I’m just going to post this too, because it’a tremendous way to remember Damo

11 Likes

Aww man. What an impact though.

2 Likes

RIP Damo. I take part in a podcast about The Fall, and we had Damo on for an episode last year and he was wildly entertaining and unpredictable. Tago Mago, Future Days and Ege Bamyasi live rent free in my head, and have done for decades.

16 Likes

CAN is without a doubt my favourite band ever.
The Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi and Future Days trio is an unrivaled musical master piece.

RIP Damo, angels will bring you coffee or tea.

11 Likes

I’m really sad about this and much more than I would have expected. I feel like I got so much profound thoughtful brain food from his never ending tour (where he showed up and improvised with a local band every night) but everything I got from it, so deeply, is so non verbal that I can’t describe it, just somehow try to incorporate it into my world view.

9 Likes

Aw man, that is sad news. I arrived VERY late at the Can party, but very quickly picked up on the ripples they spread through the decades. This is my fave…

Rest In Peace Damo you beautiful, crazy soul… :v:

6 Likes

RIP. Can’s a legendary band that has had an outsize impact on my life. Damo’s singing can conjure up a lot of emotions.

5 Likes

10 Likes

I was supposed to play with him in tallahassee on his tour before covid resulted in cancellation - one of the biggest missed opportunities of my life. All the videos of him performing with various local outfits in recent years are incredible, rest in peace to an all time great. A giant

6 Likes

whoa! just looked up the podcast. looks cool. rip damo—what a legend, pure energy.

2 Likes

I was fortunate enough to play a bunch of gigs with Damo and The Holy Soul as a guest doing live electronics between 2004 and 2011 in Australia and Germany. One Melbourne show turned into this live album. He was the loveliest guy, very down to earth and generous, and we eventually found out he was also a tremendous cook - one day in 2008 or so, he cooked a seven course degustation for the band and a bunch of our friends, including vegan alternatives for the meat dishes - so delicious, surreal, something I’ll never forget. So grateful for his music, and to have been able to come along for a small part of the ride.

10 Likes

Mirko and his father Damo 2019, the pic is from Mirkos Fb.

5 Likes

How sad. The strange, brave, ridiculous improvised end to his career as he toured relentlessly, playing with a different band every night was quite something. That he did it in the face of cancer for so long made it even more of an achievement. So pleased I was able to see a few of the shows as he passed through London. A incredible one off.

3 Likes

Legend. Thanks for the cool times!!!

I am a huge CAN fan. This band was made up of so many great different characters who were in a league of their own. Together they formed one of the greatest bands of all time with Damo Suzuki as their charismatic frontman. He will be missed on this planet.

3 Likes

'tis sad news, I got into Can in a big way when I was studying Music at university. I’m sad that I never got to see him live - he came to my (then) hometown a few years ago and for some reason I couldn’t make it. I should have moved heaven and earth to be in the same room as Damo. :frowning:

2 Likes

I got into CAN through the a sample of Vitamin C (forget which track, but think is was on Mo’ Wax)
Being a long term fan of Sonic Youth, Velvet Underground on one hand and Kraftwerk, Tangerine dream and experimental electronic music on the other (in the late ‘90s), CAN somehow managed to conceptually bridge the two for me, and led to exploring more of the German scene.

I am forever grateful for that introduction, and still pull out CAN regularly (as well as SY) to start a Sunday morning.

3 Likes

same feeling here. :frowning:

1 Like