Damo Suzuki RIP

Sad news indeed. He was such an influence on so many. I was fortunate enough to see him play in Berlin (with members of the psychedelic furs and Siouxie and the Banshees) and chat a bit after the show. The show was perfect and he was very approachable, kind, and generous with his time. A few years after that, I was thrilled to have been booked to play with him here in Miami. Unfortunately, the pandemic hit and the tour was cancelled. RIP Damo…

4 Likes

I’m just starting to listen to Can’s discography, and ashamed to say that I never realized Th’ Faith Healer’s “Mother Sky” was a cover. Also, their albums were on Too Pure Records, another reference to this same song?

3 Likes

Man what a massive bummer to lose this dude. Can was soooo far ahead of their time. Yoo Doo Right forever.

Not heard that before, they remind me a little of Yo La Tengo, which is no bad thing.

Mother Sky was one of the first songs I heard by Can that blew me away and by pure luck I went to a local second hand book, vinyl and general trinkets store and there was a vinyl copy of Soundtracks for a few quid, well before all the albums got a nice new pressing. I still listen to it at least a few times a year at blistering volumes haha.

2 Likes

Th’ Healers had real savage swing when they were on, rarely managed to capture it on recordings properly IMO but one of the best live bands I’ve ever seen. I have this pet idea that Can’s Mother Sky started out as a kind of jam on Creedence’s long version of Suzie Q, listen to the off-beat kick, the backing vocals and I’m sure Karoli directly quotes bits of the guitar solos. (Oh and Jane Asher’s character in the film Deep End where the song was used is called Susan…)

4 Likes

I had never thought of that - I can ask someone who might know…

“Mother Sky” must be Can’s most-covered song I reckon (Loop and Psychick TV spring to mind immediately and there are many more) but there was also a tendency for everyone who played live with Damo to drift in that direction too – which was no bad thing.

Which made me think of more of their songs, so gliding over to the appropriate thread.

1 Like

Another legend is gone… RIP Damo

2 Likes

Here’s a BBC Outlook interview with Damo from 2022. What a charming fellow.

BBC Outlook - Damo Suzuki

2 Likes

Damo Suzuki live at the Lexington in London 16 February 2020, backed by the (excellent) Alice Hubble Band. Just a couple of weeks before the world shut down. A strange atmosphere in a small upstairs venue. Maybe 150 people there. Troubling news from across the globe. But Damo just stood there and sung. It was majestic.

9 Likes

I found this late Rascals album at a thrift store, and was weirded out today listening to it. The rhythm pattern sounded really similar to Halleluwah (one of my favorite songs of all time). According to Wikipedia, they were recorded around the same time. Of course they’re not exactly the same, but wow. Just posting on this thread because this is fresh. Tell me it’s rubbish and I’ll sod off or whatever people do.

1 Like

That’s a fave of mine. I like jazzy/prog Rascals. I never thought of a Halleluwah resemblance though.

Now this is what I’d call Halleluwah-inspired:

1 Like

Tomorrow lunchtime (UTC / GMT) and then one more Saturday night the day after at Repeater Radio.

Update: here’s the archived show

1: Can - Paperhouse
2: Can - Turtles Have Short Legs
3: Can - One More Saturday Night (live)
4: Can - Shikako Maru Ten
5: Damo Suzuki & Now - The Zero Game
6: Damo Suzuki - The Last Night Of The Sun
7: Can - Oh Yeah (Sunroof! mix)
8: Now feat. Damo Suzuki - One One Equal One
9: Cul de Sac and Damo Suzuki - Beograd 6
10: Can - Blue Bag (Inside Paper)
11: Damo Suzuki and Cuzo - Tempo Que No Tiene Ojos en Medio
12: Can - Paris 73 Drei
13: Can - Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne
14: Damo Suzuki and Cuzo - Billete Sencilio Para Dos

2 Likes

RIP Yes,
for me the song “You Do Right” from Monster Movie was the best music from CAN ever till today.

2 Likes

That was Malcolm Money on vocals for that one

2 Likes