Daft Punk - Epilogue

I was saddened by the passing of Romanthony, the featured vocalist in “One More Time” and “Too Long”. I really liked his vocals

4 Likes

Yeah, I was too. He was such a great producer and a few of his tracks never failed to get the dance floor hopping. Much too young.

3 Likes

That a cappella rendition at the end was pretty amazing with the one left walking on to continue he’s journey alone. Loved it!

1 Like

Discovery has the most memories for me and my favorite album…
This is sad why would the break up now?? i dont get it

3 Likes

mmmm. This is sad to think that there will be no more work from them together, i even (unlike many here to my complete surprise) like thier later work…

The video was pure wank though…a simple press release would have sufficed…

5 Likes

Could this be some sort of trick? I just can’t believe it.

4 Likes

It’s weird.

Like getting a letter from a friend you haven’t seen/heard from in like 10 years saying they don’t want to be friends with you anymore.

Like, “yeah, it’s been so long…I kinda figured. Still tho, rude”

7 Likes

Yeh who on earth makes a break up video…? Looks a bit publicity stunt now i think about it…

3 Likes

Everything has to come to an end. To me their choice to end Daft Punk is graceful and probably related to their change of interest. People change. Who knows it could be even the covid crisis that (as to many other people I know of) changed their perspective.

They were fantastic music makers and i will keep not only random access memories of them, but good memories, from youth till now.

And yes, their first albums were better in many aspects, raw and powerful, but nonetheless they always delivered something to look forward to.

RIP DP

2 Likes

…but let’s face one more thing…

these french dudes had all the options…

it’s so rare to own a global brand without faces…
this robot thing would have give them the chance to go on forever…
good thing to show integrity…
but they could have give a shit for any further success and experiment in any direction with that faceless, timeless image…
imagine u can do anything, still always be sure to be heard and recognized without all the downsides of a global celebrity status…remain unknown while famous anyways…
this is priceless…for an artist…

so maybe this is not the end…
this epilogue was the first time they really acted out…
many ways to realize this later and many ways to turn the page again…

and air?..well, good french musicians…but that’s the only common ground here…
beyond that, daft punk was/is truu pop art beyond all sonic approach…

3 Likes

Revolution 909; I still remember how I was so astonished while listening them at 10 yo when my parents brought me for the first times at discos… It was the legendary year 1997.

4 Likes

Around the world… the phrase occurs 144 times in the album version.
Can’t think of a Air song like that :+1:

2 Likes

https://www.nova.fr/news/nova-club-daft-punk-1-heure-dinterview-et-leur-selection-vinyles-129999-23-02-2021/
one hour interview of the punk

1 Like

Will listen again to this 1000 tracks Spotify playlist https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.factmag.com/2017/01/21/you-need-this-1000-track-playlist-of-songs-that-inspired-daft-punk/amp/

Homework is a desert island pick for me. There are few albums I’ve more fully absorbed. It’s perfect from start to finish. It’s amazing that it had so much commercial success but also managed to feel so authentically underground. I wonder how many people heard Dafunk on the radio and then next thing they know, they’re in a dark warehouse rocking out to Jeff Mills at 4am.

2 Likes

Homework was great but that’s where their albums kinda dropped off for me. Bangalter had some great solo tracks and Roulé was a great label… although there was that one summer when everyone would mix Gym Tonic and Stardust and it just got miserable :laughing:

Got to see Daft Punk at one of my first parties (DJ set, really) in Chicago and then Thomas Bangalter a couple years later at a $5 Dust Traxx party

And honestly if you haven’t taken the time to go through and listen to everyone they listed in “Teachers”, you’ve done yourself a disservice.

2 Likes

8 Likes

:joy:

Imagine the scenes if those two really did turn out to be Daft Punk

2 Likes

An illustrious career of serving up bangers. The mash wasn’t half bad too.

3 Likes