CV/GATE synths/drum modules for additional voice A4

Get a Kilpatrick Phenol

DRUMS:

Roland:
TM-2

Yamaha:
All DTX series

I’ve been looking at these and discovered the TM-2 and DTX502 both allow for user .wav samples. Perhaps we should add an S in the Legend for sample playback capabilities.

The Roland TM-2 ($200) allows for playback of 16bit, 44.1khz, mono or stereo .wav from SDHC card up to 32GB.
Battery powered if you wish, master limiter, internal kit fx, 4 channels, and uses the 2ch over TRS configuration that the A4 uses. So two TRS cables into its 2 trig inputs will carry all 4 channels of CV trigs. (Sample 1, Sample 2 = Head 1, Rim 1. Sample 3, Sample 4 = Head 2, Rim 2).
From the documentation, it appears to have trigger to midi capabilities as well, allowing the chaining of other midi only drum modules to be sequenced by A4.

It also accepts Midi notes, so it makes a low cost solution for adding sample playback to Monomachine as well. Responds to midi program change too. Make your own 4 sample user BBOX kits.

The Yamaha DTX502 ($269) allows for playback of .wav (16/44.1/mono) from flash memory, limited to 12 seconds, and you have to use an iOS app to import the samples.

Either of these modules could be a good solution for folks wanting to spice up their A4 sequencer with some single shot samples (even very long samples w/ TM-2), routed back into A4’s inputs for A4 p-locked FX treatment. The Roland looks more feature packed, and costs less.

I just stumbled across this video due to some serious lusting over a Nord Modular (probably a Micro to start with due to space and funds) and was wondering if anyone has applied this idea? It seems to work in this video but I know next to nothing about CV! Looks like he plugs the CV outs of the Beatstep in to the Audio Ins of the Modular and then uses some clever patching in the Modular to make it work…

Jump to 2:10 to see a clear view of the patch.

If it works a Micro Modular could be a really powerful fifth voice for the A4 and highly portable. A full G1 (and I’m assuming G2) would also be good of course but I don’t know how you could sequence multiple parts in this way.

I’m trying to find a Micro at the moment to test this theory out!

Dan

By my knowing the XENOPHONE has only 1 CV-in ? Can anyone explain me how this could work ? I’ve never ben working with cv -out :confused: :zonked: ???

Yes. The patch is basically:
[ul]
[li]one audio input receives a gate signal and triggers the amp envelope[/li]
[li]second audio input receives CV (V/oct) signal, quantizes to a scale, and controls the pitch of an oscillator[/li]
[/ul]

Analog Four/Keys has 4 outputs, so I guess that it can drive two pairs of CV + gate signals for two independent parts. I believe that the Nord Modular G1 and MicroModular only have 2 audio inputs while the G2 has 4 audio inputs.

Yes. The patch is basically:
[ul]
[li]one audio input receives a gate signal and triggers the amp envelope[/li]
[li]second audio input receives CV (V/oct) signal, quantizes to a scale, and controls the pitch of an oscillator[/li]
[/ul]

Analog Four/Keys has 4 outputs, so I guess that it can drive two pairs of CV + gate signals for two independent parts. I believe that the Nord Modular G1 and MicroModular only have 2 audio inputs while the G2 has 4 audio inputs.

[/quote]
It’s no problem pushing +/- 3.5V out of the G1 headphone output as it is, but not sure i’d be throwing high DC voltages into the inputs without some sorta knowledge it was safe - so if anyone knows, pitch in (pun intended) -i’ve asked on a G1 forum too

Such an excellent resource. Needs to be seen!

(Added Therapsid Mk2)

1 Like

How was your experience with the Therapsid and A4? A keeper?
I like the Slim Phatty but tuning it before every use has been a drag.

Avalon Bassline