Custom Controller for Digitone - 4x Modwheel, is it possible? [Update: did it + mini tutorial]

Hello Elektronauts,

long time lurker, first time poster. I have this idea stuck in my head for quite some time now and I’m gonna have some free time next month to try it, so I was wondering if you guys could confirm if it should work and give me some feedback.

The idea is to build a small custom MIDI-Controller with an Arduino to control the modwheel value for the 4 Digitone tracks with four wheels or potis simultaneously. Each of the potis/wheels would correspond to each modwheel for Track 1-4. It would be great to have hands on control of multiple parameters of all 4 Tracks while playing live without having to menu dive.

I am slaving the DN to my OT, so I have two ideas:

1. MIDI-Controller -> OT MIDI in
    I would have the Octatrack pass the MIDI through to the Digitone. I think this should work if I map four of the OT MIDI channels to the corresponding DN channels right?

2. MIDI-Controller -> DN USB in
    Theoretically the DN should be able to handle MIDI from USB, although this might be harder to implement…

Right now I’m leaning towards option 1 as I think it’s gonna be easier to just build an MIDI controller which outputs MIDI, while with option 2 I would have to use an raspberry or something similar as an MIDI->USB bridge.

I know that option 2. works though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFj71V9Qo60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpSvdhNntcI

He controls multiple DN Modwheels with a single knob, so I guess it should be possible to have multiple knobs control different Modwheels - but as I said I would have to implement a MIDI bridge.

Have any of you guys tried something similar? What are your thoughts on this? Would love to hear your opinions or tips!

Best regards!

3 Likes

with this one you could control few parameters at once, maybe more than you need but could be worth having a look at :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Hello!
Yes, is it possible!
I made a test with a cardboard, and material with cost about 10$

arduine, din socket, cables, soldering.
but as i sold my digitone i buried the plan to do it proper with 4 knobs.

Anyway, look at EC4 from faderfox. It looks like the purrfect dn compagnion.

Looks neat, thanks for the input! With the MIDI merge functionality it should be able to sit between the OT and DN right?

I’ll definitely keep this in mind!

Great to know, thanks! Did you connect your controller to the DN MIDI in or USB in? The one thing I’m worried about is that I won’t be able to send the MIDI through the OT to the DN.

I’ve looked into the EC4 but it’s kind of an overkill for my needs to be honest… :smiley:

it would merge incoming MIDI messages from the OT to those from the device

1 Like

i made my dn the master.

that means:
midi modwheel arduine cardbord one knob -> digitone in -> digitone out -> ot
but if you use through, midi would be forwarded.
you could do:
midi cardboard -> ot in -> ot through -> digitone, if you want to sequence on the dn.

this helps:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/tutorial/midi

and this helps

and this comes in handy!:
https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-3-control-change-messages-data-bytes-2
you need to code cc1 for mod wheel.

2 Likes

Look, I had the same idea!

Thanks, that actually looks quite doable! Would be even cooler to use faders instead of rotary potentiometers, I’ll see if I can find some on eBay…

I mean it would be really neat to have 4 performance faders for the Digitone right?! :smiley:

that is true, faders would be cool, but actually good modwheels would be best - at least for me.

i found knobs for experimentation easier to use.
i just wanted to know if it could work.

1 Like

if you get yourself a breadboard and an arduino with those tiny feet ptototyping gets easier!

1 Like

I agree, proper modwheels would be perfect - sadly I can’t seem to find any for a reasonable price.

Thanks for your help, I think this is going to work! :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,

since I’ve finally found some time to build it, I thought I’d share the process and the final result in case someone wants to try something similar.

What you’ll need:

• 4x Potentiometer (linear, 10K)
  • 2x Resistors (220 Ohm)
  • Arduino nano or a clone
  • Midi Jack
  • some kind of soldering board
  • Wires
  • some enclosure for your build - I used 6mm plywood

For the wiring and programming I used this video, which was really helpful and easy to follow:

And here is the final result:

I’ve used a Midi-Merger to connect both the OT and the controller to the Digitone. Everything works nicely and its really fun to have hands on control on the four tracks.

If you have questions or comments let me know!

17 Likes

Looks neat. How are you powering the arduino?

Its powered from the usb-port in the back :ok_hand:

1 Like

Oh, I see the usb jack below the midi jack on it now. And what do you plug that into?

Any usb charger will do, it doesn’t draw much power at all. I’ve used an old camera usb power supply, but really any usb port should do the trick.

1 Like

Interesting. So, you’re looking at either a rechargeable battery pack for just that or maybe a phone-charger style usb wall plug. Those seem like ok options.

I ask because I’m working on a portable performance setup and there’s an accumulation of ‘just-one-more’ usb-ish power concerns. Was just wondering if you had done anything more clever to draw power for the sweet simple device.

Anyway. It’s rad - the Elektron machines really open up when one starts customizing the user interface through MIDI; no matter how many buttons, knobs, tiny-screens and 11-finger key combos they put in, each user will have some path that would be better served by a handful of dedicated controls.

Cheers, the inspiration is appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks, glad you like it! There might be another way to power the controller since MIDI has a power connection as well and I’m pretty sure it is 5V, which is the same voltage the arduino needs. However I don’t know how much current an arduino draws and how much a standard MIDI port provides. I was to lazy to figure it out since I wanted the USB-Port either way to reconfigure the arduino if needed.

Maybe someone with a better understanding of the electronics involved could chime in? Would certainly be nice to draw power from the MIDI port!

1 Like

I’ve seen @Eaves using something remarkably similar in his videos.

Crazy there isn’t a little device out there with just knobs or sliders for Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel, Breath Control etc.