Curved Monitor - recommendation for DAW-usage

Hey `nauts,
do you have any recommendation for a curved monitor that fits well with my DAW (Ableton)?
Should be something from 27 to 34 inch in order to fit between my studio monitors. I´ve an PC Audio Notebook with Intel HD Graphics and HDMI port only.
What should I look for? WQHD/ UWQHD? IPS/ VA? FPS 60/144Hz?
Does it make sense or do I need a AMD/ Nvidia graphic board first?

Check what the max resolution is that your machine is capable of outputting. No point getting a 4k display and having to run it at 1080p. That will also give you an indication as to whether you need integrated graphics. For a monitor, I find 27" to be more than enough if I’m sitting relatively close to it, but especially if you want to run really high resolutions you might want a bigger one.

IPS is mainly good for accurate colour reproduction. Up to you whether that’s important to you or not, but shouldn’t make any difference for music making.

1 Like

IPS don’t worry about HZ unless you want to run your DAW at 200fps… 1080p is a good resolution for those sizes. 4k/UHD is more suited to 32" +.

1 Like

WQHD on a 27" looks sweet. I’m on a Macbook Pro though, don’t know how it will look with your setup.

1 Like

27" is the perfect size for wqhd imo

That’s a 27" Samsung LED curved, full HD 1920x1080 @60fps. Unless you want to play super fast shooters there is no need to go for 144fps IMHO.
Bought it about 1,5 years ago for around 180€, very happy with it!
The only thing that is a bit annoying is the round stand = less space for gear :joy:
Look for connectivity, this one got DVI and HDMI. The misses uses it for home office duty and need a display port adapter.

3 Likes

I’m looking to get a 34" ultra wide curved monitor to replace my ageing 27" Thunderbolt display.
Are there any good ones out there that’ll hook up nicely to my newly serviced early 2013 MBP?
I’m going to be running Ableton and Logic X.
Any recommendations/experiences welcome.

Cheers

there’s a long thread on gearslutz about the 2019 macbook pro and noise in audio that happens when using a thunderbolt display with Catalina. I think it’s a hardware issue with that model though so maybe no issue for you.

i think there’s only a handful of curved monitors right? i’ve only seen 3 or 4 when cruising through bestbuy’s site or whatever. but they seem popular. i’ve seen them in several instagram posts running off macbook pros.

2 Likes

Here is my top choice at the moment and will wait till black friday for a good deal:

• LG 34GN850
  • LC-M34-UWQHD-100-C
  • Samsung C34F791
  • Dell UltraSharp U3419/ 21
1 Like

One thing to think about is if you want more “lenght” or “height”. I went for a 34" ultrawide, but it was because that was the only thing i could get. I was shopping for a monitor in april, but it was sold out everywhere because of the Covid Lockdowns.

It is the same height as my 27" imac. But now that i have used it for a while, i would actually like to have a 32" wide in stead. It would show more tracks at the same time in Cubase. Other daws might be better on a 34 ultra wide though.

I have the Samsung, it’s great.

1 Like

Would it be best to get a monitor with thunderbolt connection or just use the hdmi ?

Depends on a few things:

HDMI is up to 2.1 (?) only 4k60 but has HDCP so you can drag a window over and watch Netflix

Thunderbolt/DisplayPort has more bandwidth and thus can have a higher refreshrate but could be problematic for streaming copyrighted material.

Not sure if I’m 100% correct.

Also interesting https://sonicstate.com/news/2018/05/21/sonic-lab-samsung-cj-89-49-inch-curved-monitor-with-isb-c/

How do display protocols relate to copyrighted material?

You are right… there is none. Important thing is to look at when you want to stream 4k from streaming providers is that the monitor itself supports HDCP 2.2 - obviously this can be implemented in all standards.

quick comparison on the named monitors above: all except the LC-M34-UWQHD-100-C have 2.2 - this one only has 1.4

1 Like

So I’m still looking for a new monitor to replace my 27" Thunderbolt… just seen this lot here at the link below:

The best ultrawide monitor in 2020

Some of these look pretty cool especially the Samsung CRG9 listed at number 4 at the link above but isn’t 49" just overkill? It looks superb BUT over the last few days Iv’e really being eyeing this one up below:

Samsung LC34J791WTUXEN 34" Curved Ultra Wide LED Monitor - UWQHD 3440 x 1440, 100Hz, Freesync, HDMI, Displayport, USB-C, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, Speakers

I’m on an early 2013 MBP and it has Thunderbolt so I’m guessing I’ll need adapters for this one? Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter and Usb 2 to Usb 3 adapter? Any advice?

Samsung LC34J791WTUXEN 34

I’d like to order a new monitor later tonight if I can get any good info thanks

Rob

1 Like

I’m just looking at the connections on my MBP early 2013 to see what connections I’d need to connect this to an Ultrawide 34" curved monitor. That Samsung I linked to has Thunderbolt 3 and seems my MBP only has Thunderbolt 1
Here’s my MBP specs/connections

Don’t see any mini display ports here unless it’s a Thunderbolt connection or something?

You should consider buying a monitor arm and get rid of the monitor stand forever. Not only does a monitor arm give you more space it can also give you the possibility to move the screen more freely.

1 Like

The thought went through me mind a couple times, only issue is the absorber behind the monitor. So I can’t mount a standard arm to the wall. But I already have a sheet metal designed that I can get fabricated if I ever feel I need the space. Can be fixed, really don’t need it to be moving, though. :v: