Cuckoo's Octatrack Tutorial #2 - sampling

Hello, I made a new Octatrack tutorial #2 yesterday, focusing on easy sampling. It’s mean for total beginners with very little, or no prior experience of Elektron devices. I just want people to switch it on and be able to get going, and get a quick understanding of some very basic things from day one.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this, Cuckoo. I’ll be watching as soon as I get home tonight.
For my sins I have mostly been sequencing external Midi with my Octatrack and so far have never really got stuck in to sampling. But this will change that.
Love your vids, keep it up!

1 Like

Hey Cuckoo, thank you dear for this tutorial ! :+1:
There is always something to grab in this even for a long-time user… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Plus you really take your time.

One thing though (and I left the same comment on YT) : p. 57 of the manual states that “The DIR parameters don’t affect the volume of incoming audio when sampling. Even if they are set to 0 sampling is therefore possible. AB/CD DIR are however affected by AB/CD GAIN settings.”
So what you say on 4:24 is wrong ! (http://youtu.be/WJT_JoWO2tU?t=4m24s)
=> DIR is for direct volume, and can be used for monitoring your external sources.
But you can sample quiet sources, DIR parameter has no effect on recording volume AFAIK.
I usually set DIR to zero, so I can confirm it works like this, but I don’t do manual sampling a lot…

It might be a good thing to add a caption that correct it :wink:

… Or to correct me if I’m saying something wrong :zonked:

1 Like

Thanks for posting this! I don’t consider myself an Octatrack noob but I picked up a couple shortcuts from watching your workflow that I either never learned or forgot :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is more or less exactly what I was trying to say man. I completely agree. Perhaps I made it confusing, he he.
Turning DIR to 127 is a good way to HEAR what is going to be recorded. If it’s too loud or quiet, adjust it with GAIN.

1 Like

Nice one dude, always warm vibes on your vids. I feel like I have OT pretty down now but constantly rediscovering things I’ve forgotten after using other routes. The track+rec shortcut for example, thanks for reminding me :slight_smile:

Edit - and the ‘right wing’ thing made me smile, haha :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. Yes I’ve just tested the Arranger. It’s the boss. You can arrange a lot of things. I wish the Analog Keys and Rytm Arranger had all of this.

1 Like

“That’s the level it’s recorded whether the direct is off or on
OK, I concede I was wrong, sorry man !
Keep on posting your knowledge + good vibes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Awesome stuff! Can’t wait for mine to come in the mail. I think without the internet and people like Cuckoo it would take years instead of weeks or months to get my head around these kinds of devices.

1 Like

“That’s the level it’s recorded whether the direct is off or on
OK, I concede I was wrong, sorry man !
Keep on posting your knowledge + good vibes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]
He he, no no no. I was being really fuzzy at that point, waving my fingers and not finding the right words. But the intention was there :slight_smile:

1 Like

nice demo , simple enough for even me to understand.

1 Like

Thanks Cuckoo!! I wish I had some bread to send you!!

1 Like

Thanks for this Cuckoo!
Having owned an OT since they were released, the thought of basic sampling on it still fills me with DREAD and rather embarrassingly I don’t think I’ve ever used chromatic mode :zonked: this is actually making me want to dust it off again…

1 Like

Thanks Cuckoo,

Needed this to just get a basic understanding and workflow of getting sampling going on my Octatrack… This helps a lot … much appreciated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes It really is, just saw a dear friend of mine performing a nice techno set almost without touching the octa… just performing on the mixer and a synth connected to octa via MIDI… So a nice tut. would be about the arranger, audio and MIDI tracks -)

Thanks Cuckoo, you can never have enough OT tutorials :wink:

1 Like

Inspiring stuff as always homie!

1 Like

Enjoyed watching this tonight, Cuckoo. Thanks for breaking it down. :smiley:

1 Like

Very nice tutorial, thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh Cuckoo,
It is always a pleasure to watch your lengthy tutorials.
You know how to entertain and edjucate at the same
time, respect!
And there is always something I didn’t knew or noticed…
Thanks a lot!
Please next tutorial about the OTaranger. I only see people
jammin’ and hardly no one uses the aranger to its full
extend. I used to make full tracks with my MPC 4000 and
some outboard gear back in the days but can’t get my head
around the OTaranger. Looking at the description in the
manual makes me dizzy…