Cubase Pro 9 w/Analog Four & Overbridge Setup / Eliminating Bitcrush Sound

If you do not set up the output busses manually sometimes “stereo output” is the only routing option in Cubase Pro 9, whereas in Logic Pro X there are audio busses there automatically.

Setup for Analog Four in Cubase Pro 9 using an Instrument Rack -
Presetup:
1.Go to Devices>VST Connections and make 4 new stereo audio outputs labeled a1, a2, a3 & a4 (this ensures you have audio busses to route your instrument rack in to).

Individual outputs routing of Analog Four:
1.Click Rack down arrow on VST Instruments window (right-hand side) to open a Rack Instrument and select “Analog Four”.
2.Click down arrow next to “Analog Four” in the instrument rack, choose “activate outputs”, and click all the outputs you want to activate.
3.Go to each separate track from the rack instrument and change the output from “stereo” to “a1, a2, a3, a4” respectively.
4.Make 4 new audio tracks and set the inputs to “a1, a2, a3, a4” respectively.

Now you can record the 4 sounds as separate audio files on the audio tracks.

If you would set it up differently or you have other ideas, please share for everyone.

A note on eliminating the occasional bitcrush sound:
As a side note how do you all set your buffer settings between your DAW and inside the Overbridge plug in as to avoid the metallic bitcrush sound that can come in sometimes? I had this happen with a sound craft mixer onetime and found out the reason it was happening was do to the USB cable not sending the information fast enough, so if you upgrade the usb cable it actually eliminated the problem completely (on my soundcraft mixer USB interface). Using Elektron Overhub I have heard can help eliminate that problem for some people because it increases the quality of maximizes transfer speeds. Supposedly the Audioquest Cinammon usb also helps with this sort of problem, in some cases, not sure if it would on Elektron gear as I have not tried it. And lastly as mentioned above setting the buffer correctly will be a big help as well.

So what is everyone’s take on all this?

3 Likes

I’m not sure what’s the question.
But…It is true that in C Pro you need to create dummy busses. That’s normal.
Metaliic sound is usually a latency issue.
All my machines / system is set up for 64 buffer.

This won’t apply to any discussion on OG devices running OB (just clarifying before people hit eBay needlessly)

This makes no sense either - nothing is increased, it just preserves the (relatively) very low requirements placed on it (as would happen with any MTT hub)

:zonked: does the digital info care about the cost of the cable (presuming it’s not broken or something)

this is a serious review of that USB cable … " The experience is organised, with instruments maintaining a sense of space. The presentation is neat, which affords some precision to the music.
The Cinnamon is a subtle cable, conveying details with a lightness of touch.
The sound is a little restrained, but not enough to be considered downbeat. Far from it: there’s an assertiveness to the proceedings that allows a little panache to come through.
Nonetheless, this is a like a fine paintbrush: controlled and delicate, but lacking the fun, broad strokes of a roller "

wut ??:wink:

my thoughts for the MKi only, things may change for MKii as those devices will place higher (but still likely modest) demands on the USB connection

EasternNoise:
The question is -
what is your take on setting up Overbridge in Cubase to get multiple audio tracks, and also how you set it up to eliminate the bitcrush sound. Thanks for the confirmation of setting up the busses (I was using the output tab in VST Connections to create new output busses, is this what you do?), I think that can be confusing to those who are used to logic and switch to Cubase.

Do you match the buffer of your DAW with Overbridge? So your DAW is 64 and OB is 64?

Yes. Always same buffer across all devices.

Cool, yeah thought I heard that somewhere.

Hi Analog 7,

Hoping you’re still here! I’d like to ask your advice explicitly on how you achieved step 4 above, in cubase, cos i cant seem to be able to use output busses as input busses in cubase. I’m on 10.5 Much appreciated!

HI sorry for delayed response, this is really old post…did you ever figure it out? Unfortunately I haven’t used cubase with overbridge for awhile. But I believe once your inputs are created, you can create audio tracks with those inputs and then record whats coming in to cubase from the machines. I am a bit rusty on this right now tbh so I might ask someone else who is using cubase 10.5 or 11 w/elektron or try to find a step by step on youtube if this post didn’t help you. I was rereading my instructions from 2017 and trying to remember it all…
I think its fairly straight forward though, just a few steps to go through - you just want to get it so your audio inputs are to be coming in from your connected overbridge instrument whether it be analog four or rytm or whatever. I think thats what I was explaining, if I remember correctly (scratching head…). And it should still work in the newer cubase versions, nothing should be different - I don’t believe… so I am pretty sure you should be good if you follow similar steps.

Hi Analog, yes, I did! At the time that I sent you this message, I was using Cubase Artist - the functionality is only available to Cubase pro users, so I upgraded and it worked. I also posted my findings for others to use ( Cos I really appreciate what goes into these forums).

You can take a look here: Digitakt FX routing to Overbridge - #23 by AfroLektronik

Thanks for your response,
Afro