Digitakt FX routing to Overbridge

Go into Setting -> Audio Routing on the digitakt and disable all the tracks except fx sends (hit trigs 1 thru 8). The main out in DAW will now have just the fx sends, and you can get dry signal from the individual outs.

6 Likes

Check this topic :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks!!!

I followed these instructions, but FX tracks routed to Main and recorded separately seems not right. It’s louder and not synced. For example if you record whole mix in stereo it sounds different. Spent 2 hours, still do not understand what to do.
Again, dry tracks are fine, but FX track is weird. As hcxcy said “if I turn the routing off except for delay and reverb, they seem to overpower the dry tracks in volume and it sounds terrible”

3 Likes

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue, or know how to properly record 8 dry tracks and an accurate FX track? I’m also getting a weird, overpowering FX track coming through when using the setup @Swaitak and @BRXTN referenced.

Is there perhaps a way to just record all 8 tracks wet?

Been toying with this for hours, and it seems insane that just recording your 8 tracks with FX into Ableton can be this difficult. I thought OB was supposed to make stuff like this seamless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 Likes

As of now it seems the only way is to record 8 tracks dry and add delay/reverb VSTs (which I kinda hate as I’m mostly a hardware user and don’t have any good software plugins) OR get a really good mix within digitakt and record each wet track separately. But in order to do this you’d really have to have an almost complete mix in your hardware.

I feel like the separate FX track is completely useless at this point and serves more of an obstacle even when I’m simply laying out a rough outline of a song in my DAW.

6 Likes

Also for me the volume of the fx track is higher then it should be. I’ve found that lowering to -6db it is more similar to the original volume but would be nice to know exactly how many dbs to cut.

It is a know bug?

I’m thinking that recording one track at time could be a better option than this, when dealing with effected tracks

Certainly not a bug. A bug is an actual error within software. This has just to do with different levels and settings of those level staves and routing.

Make sure you turn off the master compressor as it most of the time it has a gain correction set where in this situation you do not want that. Also make sure that in the USB config the tracks are set to post fader level as that has an influence on volumes as well.

Then of course when recording and still think that the fx are too loud you could lower the fx volumes at the corresponding pages with a set value until satisfied for recording purposes.

8 Likes

I’m not at the Digitakt right now but I’m pretty sure that there is no compression and usb out is set to post fader. Yes I can lower the fx track but I cannot understand why it is recorded at a different volume.

I would assume that if a record post fader and simply play back the single tracks + fx track it should sound exactly the same as played from digitakt, but this is not the case

Also panning is missing from single tracks (they are recorded in center position even if they are panned in the Digitakt)

I can deal with it, it’s a beta so I’m not expecting that everything is perfect. Just to document my experience

Panning is logical because you are recording the tracks individuallly which are mono. Even though the OB vst has stereo inputs in Daw, the tracks on DT are still mono. Panning is a thing added at the master mix stage not the individual track stage.

Other than that make sure compression is off and lower the volumes on the fx a little when record. No big deal to be honest because it is easily solved.

This is just a result of what individual outputs are compared to a master output .so this really has nothing to do with it being a beta . Just how gain staged work within dt. Maybe a feature to compensate or something would be nice but that’s a feature request really.

3 Likes

Yeah, the panning thing is a real problem for me - I often set LFOs to Pan for some movement, which then obviously gets ignored when using overbridge that’ll only do mono tracks. So I end up going back to the old fashioned way of recording individual tracks in stereo! :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Just wanted to say that I love your YT content!

2 Likes

If you have an unused MIDI track could you copy the LFO settings to one of those, assign that LFO to a CC and have that control the pan in Ableton to give a similar effect?

4 Likes

I have no idea how Ableton works, but if you can control it on a midi track already, you simply choose the track you want to copy the settings from. Hold the LFO page or whichever page you want to copy. Press Func and Copy.
Choose the track you want to copy to and press Func and paste.

I have these exact settings now but I’m not able to control the track volumes from the digitakt. When I try to change the volume, it controls the fx track volume only. Any ideas?

first of all thanks a bunch for posting this screen shot. Maybe im dumb but its easier to follow than written instructions.

So I did everything you did except I picked Auto, instead on In, for each channel and armed each track. All the automations I change on the DT while recording on Ableton get recorded recorded. I turn off the DT and play back what I recorded, from DT to ableton, and the autmations I made live while recording are there. I actually didnt do the part where you go into audio routing in the DT , where you make tracks green/red (mostly bc im not sure what im doing really, im a newb). It seems to work or me though. did i get lucky ?

I keep trying to hear if the sound quality is off but there isnt much change (after adding utlity to each track to bring up volume though). I personally like messing with low pass/highpass (or delay) while recording to add some atmospheric effect for darker techno.

So How come this thread isnt more popular? seems like so many ppl want to record fx automation per track and this seems to work for me…unless, again, Im not noticing some sound quality deficit. thoughts?

What do you mean by ‘reverse the phase’?

Hi everyone,

So this is quite an interesting and beguiling one because it’s a functionality that could potentially save a ton of time ( with future projects, once you get it working), but can also cost a lot at the onset. Well, as a newcomer to all things Elektron who’s just fresh out of that struggle, I’m gonna attempt to layout the entire procedure and also explain some of the questions above on the way.

My DAW is Cubase.

So, there are four main parts of understanding and successfully recording individual tracks in your DAW.

1. Configure Digitakt
  2. Configure DAW
  3. Mix tracks ( Yes, including the FX track)
    4.Record

Key Assumptions:

1. You own a Digitakt
  2. You have downloaded and successfully installed Overbridge
  3. Overbridge is showing as a VST Plugin in your DAW
    4.Both the Overbridge engine and the Overbridge control panel are active
  4. Digitakt is active in your control panel.
  5. This example is for recording 4 individual source tracks and 1 effects track
  6. You have patterns saved in the tracks you want to record.
  7. You have setup cubase so that it can control the transport of Digitakt

1. CONFIGURE DIGITAKT
i. Go into Settings-> System->USB Config and select Overbridge. (This lets your overbridge engine in your computer recognise the unit).
ii. Go into Settings->Audio Routing->Route to Main
Deselect all the (4) tracks you would NOT like to route to the main output bus - i.e., you would like to record them as individual tracks (they will turn red). Note that only the Delay (Filter button) and Reverb (Amp button) tracks stay green. This means our main output bus is now dedicated to effects.
iii. Go into Settings-> System->Audio Routing->Send to FX
There are only 9 tracks here, (presumably because you have no choice -Amp and Reverb HAVE to be sent to effects, or a) you’ll hear nothing, and b) well, reverb IS an effect ).
Deselect those tracks whose effects you do NOT want to record in the effects track, including the filter track ( and they will turn red). This is something to consider if, for example, you decide you’d rather send one of your tracks into a DAW’s effects track instead.
iv.Go into Settings-> System->Audio Routing->Pre/Post Fader
I won’t say what to do here, but explain what Pre/Post Fader means in the context of Digitakt.

A pre-fader signal is a signal that is captured and sent to the recording console BEFORE the effect of the controls that send a signal to the Main Out Bus
A post-fader signal is a signal that is captured and sent to the recording console AFTER the effect of the controls that send a signal to the Main Out Bus

So, in Digitakt, if you pick PRE, then you will have no control over the sound and effects from the Digitakt during recording (You can still mix in your DAW).
If you pick POST, then you will be able to mix the sound during recording, because the signal you’re sending to the DAW is AFTER the effects of Digitakt’s control signals.
This should respond to questions above about the need to mix (effects) levels.

2. CONFIGURE DAW
Quick preamble - the individual track signals we’re sending out of Digitakt are actually going to go into an instrument track in our DAW, and that instrument only has a single output bus to the Main Stereo output - i.e. , a single audio channel. We want to split those tracks into individual audio tracks. Please note that in Cubase, the following is only possible after upgrade to Cubase Pro.
So, we’re gonna use a trick to:
i - Give them their own bus ( which is separate from the main output bus)
ii - To each of their own busses, we allocate an audio channel

At this point, I’ll link you to a great video by BoBeats which talks you through how to do it -its pretty digestible: CHECKING OUT OVERBRIDGE + CUBASE TUTORIAL | In this video I check out Overbridge, showcase the standalone recorder + how to use it with Cubase. I also discuss if it was worth the wait. If you... | By BobeatsFacebook

Pretty good, huh? But remember we want to create that extra audio track for our effects, right? And thanks to all that work we did in section 1, we can now route our main output track (which has nothing but effects in it) into an audio bus, and that bus will record our effects for us.

NOTE: in Cubase, it is much better to perform all your routings in the console view (F3 will get you there)

So, your setup should enable the following signal flow:

Overbridge VST (Routing 1) Busses (Routing 2) Audio Tracks
Digitakt Main Stereo Output—> Output Bus 5— > Digitakt Audio Effects Track
Digitakt VST Track 1—> Output Bus 1—> Digitakt Audio Track 1
Digitakt VST Track 2—> Output Bus 2—> Digitakt Audio Track 2
Digitakt VST Track 3—> Output Bus 3—> Digitakt Audio Track 3
Digitakt VST Track 4—> Output Bus 4—> Digitakt Audio Track 4

Now, test - select all the tracks you want to record - in the above example, there should be 11. (incl. VST track). You should get audio waveforms being recorded in the audio tracks.

OK now, stop recording, mix and compress your tracks as desired. Make sure it sounds great (i.e, your levels are as you would like to hear them in the DAW) in Digitakt before you record.

Now do another test, and this time, listen to the recording in just the DAW. if its not as you’d like;

• In Digitakt, go to your master page.

• In your DAW, delete the old files, and start a new recording session ( listen on monitors, not headphones)

• now mix the tracks to your preferred levels using the data entry knobs ( You can, because you selected Post-fader, right?).

• NOTE: because only effects are going to Main, the KNOB that affects the EFECTS SIGNAL is the MASTER VOLUME KNOB

• when you have all levels set, stop recording, delete the test tracks, and ;

• HAVE A CUPPA, SING A SONG, COME BACK, AND

• NAIL IT!!!
    :wink:

Yours,
AfroLektronik

12 Likes

I’ve been trying to record individual tracks through Overbridge without DAW, but I’m not able to get the tracks wet and separated. The only way to get them wet is just recording all of them together through main out.

The other way I tried is to record all main out but turning off the tracks manually from the DT, but the problem is I get lost in my recording process if I’m just listening to one track at the time.

Is there anyway to record them separated with FX while listening all the tracks together?

1 Like

Thank you! I was looking for this everywhere