CT-S1000V, singing synth from Casio

Absolute Anti-GAS:
You want to get rid of it without even buying it… :rofl:

3 Likes

you forgot „Wedding gig enabler“

1 Like

Wow, I’m strangely blown away by this! The vocal synth stuff is whacky (though I appreciate Japan has spent a lot of time and money researching vocal synthesis techniques) but the rompler sounds are surprisingly nice and for £429 street it’s really rather tempting.

It looks so old-fashioned! An anachronistic oddity for sure.

1 Like

This exactly. I’d like to mess with one because it looks weird and fun but I can wait years if that’s what it takes to get one on the cheap.

1 Like

Let’s get back to the subject, shall we?
Youtubers have been discussed somewhere else, no need to develop this subject again here I guess.

7 Likes

On a practical level, beyond any one dimensional GAS / No GAS decision, this thing could get real imaginative project use.

The list from obscurerobot was done with a wink, but really it hints at real uses too.

Add to the diverse uses of the vocal synth the auto arranger features as a way to quickly jot down an idea, or using it to generate single parts in a mix. It could fill in various parts, and get utility use, in a collection. And who knows what falls out abusing, combining, and misusing all the separate parts of it together.

Not thrilled with the manual, but i think the user interface may make driving this thing without living in the manual possible.

2 Likes

This name, though.
I don’t get this random paste of letters and numbers.
As soon as I close this page, it disappears from my mind.

Why not “カシオトーン” or something alike?
That would be a real pain!
Why only go half way?

1 Like

Yeah. Casio seems to have a problem with that in general. But we can call it anything we want …

What about the Syntalk ? :crazy_face: ( It’s a joke everybody. )

2 Likes

I still own and use a vsynth xt for this exact reason. The odd warble and artifacts are immensely pleasing (most of the time). Nothing else I own sounds like it.

1 Like

Damn, this thing is right up my alley, lol. I’ve got a huge soft spot for vocoders, cheesy robot voices and vocal synthesis. In fact, I did a whole album using only vocoder/robot singing with the Roland vt-4 for vocals, but found it really exhausting to “sing” and play the midi notes simultaneously. I’m not surprised that this thing was already thrashed here, but I think it offers the potential to deliver a lot of milage when used creatively, as also some have pointed out here.
Unfortunately, it’s huge and ugly and I don’t have the space for it. If they would release a desktop version without the speakers and keyboard at some point (which they never will, I guess), I would buy it in an instant.

3 Likes

I know when’s the last time anyone in this forum looked at a keyboard with speakers. But since the S1000V ( Syntalk ) uses batteries, the speakers completes the cordless feature. But then it’s so big – 61 full sized keys. I think of the Hydrasynth Explorer, batteries, nice smaller polyaftertouch keyboard, but speakers, that would have completed that picture.

1 Like

About half a minute into the video: Did they really use “let them know you are gay” as a demonstration phrase?
LOL, I listened to it several times now and that’s all I can hear. No offense to homosexuals, btw, but that’s such a weird choice for a demonstration phrase. If you can’t built up the courage to let your parents know you’re gay, just let the cts1000v speak for you!

Edit: OK, it’s “let them know you are here”, thanks for pointing that out, @DoS.

1 Like

The existence of Plogue Chipspeech makes this product look kind of ridiculous in my eyes, but I am biased against keyboard synths

Synths I own with built in speakers:

• Syntrx
  • Jupiter Xm
  • SE-02
  • Reface DX
  • Volca Modular
  • Volca FM
1 Like

:grin:
Was thinking the same, … straight from the dealer to Reverb + 2,5% pain tax!

1 Like

Speakers that I have on synths and actually use.

Zero.

I just saw confirmation from Mike Martin of Casio that it has the same piano sound(s) as the CT-S1, except with customizable effects and many more variations.

I like my CT-S1’s piano sounds so to me this is a good sign.

3 Likes

Speaking of, well, speakers, I was advised that the onboard amp is only 2.5W per side, and therefore if I truly have my heart set on playing the coffee shop open mic night, I might consider an arranger with minimum10W per side amps and speakers instead. Then again, this shop does have a PA speaker. Hmm…

1 Like

Pretty cool video, explaining the difference between Play and Phrase Modes.

Tell me you’ve never listened to House Music without saying you’ve never listened to House Music :joy:

1 Like