Crunch/elk-herd

v2 beta works great here, thanks a lot @mzero – beer token sent :wink:

1 Like

kind of doubt it since there is probably a huge amount of back end code. If it was some simple JavaScript you could just save the page locally. Maybe we’ll get to a point where it can become an app or executable but That’s in @mzero ‘s hands and schedule.

Oh yeah, I’m about 99% sure that’s the job of the DT once it makes it past the code portion and gets passed off to the DT proper. Let me know if I’m wron on that Mark! @mzero

…although we did have a pretty good discussion about whether to let hardware do it, or do it first with software. I think the majority were for control BEFORE the hardware for ease of backup and… well for more user control. I had the theory that there might be some Elektron Mojo going on during conversion but I don’t have too much time or enough interest to start analyzing things (although now that we can pull samples off, maybe someone wants to get in with a wav editor and compare pre and post and do some slice / spectrum peeping)

1 Like

@x0x & @Synj00 : crunch operates the same way Transfer does: If needed, it’ll: decompress, resample to 48kHz, take only the left channel, and convert to 16bit - all before handing the sample to the DT, which only accepts 48kHz mono 16bit PCM.

The conversion is done using Web Audio API as implemented in Chrome. I haven’t tested the quality of the resampling - but I’d assume it’s reasonable.

1 Like

Stellar work as always!
Will it produce the same hash value as Transfer?
I’m assuming you’ve had input from Jimmy, so probably yes? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Elektron have just released v1.1 of the Transfer app with Sample backup. Coincidence?

I will still use Crunch though, as (1) it lets you organise and delete samples, and (2) it’s awesome!

Cool thanks

@x0x - You can… but here, I saved you trouble of scraping it:

Updated: Just download this .zip archive, expand it, and open elk-herd.html in your browser: https://electric.kitchen/crunch/solo-elk.zip

@Synj00 - No back end code at all! It runs entirely in “simple” JavaScript. :grin:

6 Likes

Cool thanks :slight_smile:

@Buska - Save a whole directory, or tree is a bit tricky: The Web APIs don’t support this. The normal solution is to build a zip file in JavaScript (!), which the user then must expand after downloading. The downside here is that these files are big, and would all have to be held in memory until the zip is built. So, you’re not going to want to download a giant sample library this way.

You did, I hope, discover that you can select multiple samples in the file list, and then hit [Get Sample File] to download them all in one go. (And remember, shift-select works in the file list.)

I tried to support the use case of transferring things you’ve sampled on the DT back to your computer. I’ve been assuming that if you transferred a bit sample library from your computer to the DT, there’s no need to transfer it back - you’ve already got it. And I guessed that people didn’t have deep file trees of the things they sampled on the box… but that may be wrong.

2 Likes

@Ess - excellent question:

The DT computes the hash on upload, so the software doesn’t “need to get it right”… but that’s all true if and only if the samples are identical.

For samples that are already 48kHz, 16bit PCM, I’ve tested this and crunch uploads exactly those samples, so the hash is identical to what you get via Transfer.

For samples that need rate conversion or decompression, I don’t know, and somewhat doubt, it’ll produce the same hash as Transfer - as those operations have “tunings” that might be different between the two apps, producing slightly different samples, and thus different hashes.

3 Likes

No conspiracy here :grin:: I’ve been working on upload since Dec, and download since 1.05 came out. I have been in contact with Elektron and did know a new Transfer was due… which might have spurred me a bit - but mostly I got this out now because next weekend is crazy: Passover, Easter, and family birthday all at once… so no coding for a while!

6 Likes

Holding shift is fine, I can work with that!
I did try holding shift straight away when first using the app but must of messed it up? It selected whichever file I clicked and did not keep the previous selection (same directory).
I will try again after work tomorrow, may have been the view I was using :thinking:

About Transfer 1.1: I’m excited that this is out, too! It has a somewhat different approach to organization than crunch - and that’s great. Use what fits your mood or situation.

If you are going upload a huge sample library, Transfer 1.1 will probably be faster than crunch - there is only so much computing power you can get out of JavaScript. Tested with a 30MB Elektron sample pack: basically no difference.

7 Likes

Thanks @mzero for the clarification. I know its not “simple” :grin: I was referring to a single page with some javascript. It would be harder for example to make gmail run offline / local even though thats mostly javascript AFAIK.

1 Like

mzero, you are the Best !
awesome work, MUCH appreciated !

beers will be sent next week…

2 Likes

App works well, especially the move function.

1 Like

Thank-you for this, It works amazingly!!

1 Like

Hi Mark,
I can’t open your link on Windows 10 PC.
(https://electric.kitchen/crunch/elk-herd/crunch-elk-herd-2.0.0-beta.zip)
The last version worked (works) fine just copy/paste the link.
Now I get 404error or something. Can’t download it either…what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

remove the “elk-herd” path

2 Likes