Critter & Guitari - EYESY Video Synthesizer

Supported too! Roll on June. In the FAQs it says this is a replacement for the discontinued ETC, so it looks like upgraded hardware running similar software. Hopefully it’ll be backwards compatible with everything created for ETC

Can you tell me more? How would I go about learning this stuff? What resources are there? If I wanted to control these visuals I program via my octatrack would I need to use a laptop and an interface?

I’ve never done anything at all with coding but the idea that this is as steep a learning curve as an elektron vox has me interested…

1 Like

I might get it myself :smiley:

1 Like

I hope so too! Interesting to see that Eyesy has a stereo audio input, whereas ETC’s was mono, which may open up some cool possibilities.

Also good to read on their Facebook that they’re looking into 1080p, but upon release it’ll still be 720p, so not certain yet…

2 Likes

it’s 395,- after the campaign and based on a raspberry pi 3.

that’s a lot of money for a raspbi running python scripts. at this point I would consider to get a beginners bundle with a pi4, trying to recreate this video synth and lol in June when this is rolling

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hehe. It’s also the nicely made hardware, the ready to go out of the box nature of it and the great community driven projects that can be downloaded and installed easily for longevity too :wink:

I wish I had rasberry pi’s in the 90’s! I had time and motivation to dick around with code in those days :smiley:

4 Likes

backwards compatibility now confirmed on their forum + some other good stuff!

2 Likes

Yeah, if you have time, why not.
But honestly, it isn’t only a raspberry pi from scratch, it comes with hardware interface, and software interface ready to go. For me it’s too much time (I haven’t got) and effort to achieve the similar results… I prefer spend that time to develop visuals on it when it arrive.
And anyway, yesterday I spend a bit time to search prices for raspberry pi compute module + mainboard + case + wifi module + ac adaptor… around 200€ . Finally 360€ ready to go with shipment, not seems too expensive.

5 Likes

Yes you would use either a class compliant midi interface with your computer directly or go via your audio interface. There may be a few 3rd party things to set up depending on how you do it and that can involve some tinkering and head scratching at times. For example you want to be able to monitor incoming midi in something like midi-ox on Windows or MidiMonitor by Snoize on Mac - go here to check that out >
https://www.noterepeat.com/articles/pc-troubleshooting/794-using-a-midi-monitor-to-test-a-midi-device

As a start you should first visit processing.org / download and install processing and try out a few basic examples of how to draw to the screen - this is done in ‘sketches’ which you save to your own sketchbook. I learned fairly quickly by hacking other peoples sketches and there is a great forum and various online galleries for sketches. Once you get used to the syntax - which in my opinion is quite intuitive - you will be able to put together you’re own sketches fairly quickly. Start simple with blocks and different colours for example.

Then comes the trickier bit… You’d need to install a working midi library for Processing so that incoming midi can be interpreted and then adapt the code to your device but here is a great example >

It may seem daunting if you don’t have coding experience but trust in yourself … be patient, spend a few hours on it and you’ll get results. Of course it is different learning to use an Elektron machine but in that respect imagine the first time you had to learn to use an A4 or Octatrack … they are both pretty deep machines with a steep learning curve :slight_smile:

I hope this helps and or encourages a little!

2 Likes

There’s not a major difference from the ETC. Looks like more i/o, I’m particularly interested in the s video out. That stream lines connection with modular video synths. Not a big fan of the mini midi jack but the stereo input is promising. Do I need one if I already own a ETC? Probably not.

I would like one of course… but when I ask myself what I would do with it after honeymoon … I have no idea really. If I would play with some of my gear live it would be for experimental dance/theatre so … no need for this machine. On the other hand, the kiddo’s would love this thingy including daddy’s inner child!

Guess I will stick to the plan and safe up for that Ciat Lombarde unit.

I don’t know. Is this just not for me, or am I missing something? The video shows some basic lines, circles, dots moving around, reacting to the music. So I get it’s customised to what you’re playing. Is it supposed to be a nice accessory to your live performance? Is it just me who would prefer a projector showing edited footage? I guess the visual style (in the video) just doesn’t say anything to me more than a kid with MS Paint would (that would be cooler actually). But, am I missing some potential, please enlighten me! I love the idea of a video synthesizer, but if all it can do is put some coloured blobs bouncing around, I’m more keen on grainy pictures of oil drills lol. :slight_smile:

I thought the same thing, so I went on YouTube to see the ETC. videos for examples and I wasn’t any more impressed.

Edit: Although, as a drummer, I find this very cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB-C2JRoTSo

Edit 2: Oh wait, that’s a Rythm Scope in the video above. Still cool though.

3 Likes

No, you don’t miss nothing, is just that.
But you could develop new video features on python.
But, yes I think you could make a visual in video, but if you improvise, maybe the visuals won’t be synced with the music. I don’t know if I keep it after honeymoon, but I’d like to test. I am seduced by the idea of send midi message with digitakt, maybe it could make cool things.

so some info…

like the previous ETC, this uses python with pygame to generate visuals.
(this makes it very easy to create new visuals :slight_smile: )

you could run processing, or open frameworks if you want, basically just follow instructions as you would for running on a rPI.

compared to ETC?
its quite a bit more powerful, like the Organelle-M vs Organelle-1, its got a lot more memory and its quad core (compared to single with ETC) , and has stereo input :slight_smile:

what does this mean for video production?
well… the extra processing power means you can use FFT , so visual based on frequency rather than simple amplitude - also stereo input means more spacial information for graphics.
example…
whilst it only has one stereo input, you could potentially run this thru filters to pick out bass frequencies (e…g kick) for one part of the visuals, then look at higher frequencies and where they are placed on stereo field.

so its not just ‘better tech’ it brings lots of new creative possibilities …

(of course lots of possibilities shared with the older ETC e.g. sequencing graphics via midi)

8 Likes

Resolume provides much nicer looking and complexly modulated VJ mixes from HD and 4k video packs and also footage from any videos you have lying around. The debate for me is whether the Eyesy is worth it for going DAW-less, videowise. A robust little standalone box that provides something upgradable and visually passable without a laptop has a certain appeal. They don’t post the weight, but if it’s as much as an Organelle, then (considering total volume) the Eyesy is about 50% of the bulk of a good laptop, which isn’t as big a boost to convenience as it first appears.

I’ll probably get sucked in by the cool gadget factor, as usual.

EDIT (2 minutes later): I backed the little mf…coronavirus stimulus, etc., etc…

OP-Z and Unity 3D.

This video I did with the ETC using the the audio input and a lot of live performance tweaking! I love this type of visuals.
12 Likes

Beautiful music. Really trippy visuals, not recommended to epileptique folks :slight_smile:.

1 Like