Creative Sequencer

Nice. It was great of novation to open it up like that… they really seem like a great company

2 Likes

Yeah, - really great.

But I have also sorrily noted that even with such an easy-to-adapt open source base firmware for a great device there never formed a kind of movement around it.

There is often so much “crying” about that companies should open up their closed software. And what happens in the real world when one of them does it finally? They even went the extra mile to provide you with everything nicely packaged up …

Just 64 forks (and I guess many of them are from repo “collectors”).

Orca - an esoteric programming language set on a grid. You program small blocks of code that become sequencers for MIDI / OSC / UDP. Super fun.

6 Likes

yes! It makes me chuckle when people suggest companies should be open sourcing their firmware… I’ve seen it on here before. In reality the crossover between people who can understand the code, are interested in working on it and have the time to do so is ridiculously small.

2 Likes

This whole thing is so cryptic! Gives me a headache every time I start reading about it

Orca is such a nice playground when you dive really into it. I like such unusual and unique tools. Man, - so nice stuff and so little time to toy around. Life’s not fair … :wink:

BTW: It’s UI reminds me heavily on how you use the Empress Zoia.

2 Likes

Thats a really cool video. So baffled by it tho :slight_smile:

krYlon? :wink:

Midi-wise, the OT is nowhere near what the Cirklon can achieve.

1 Like

I was the same way. You can do a lot with just a few operators though. That’s how I got going, just working with a couple at a time. Start with ‘D’ and maybe follow it with ‘C’ & ‘T’. Cheers!

1 Like

Interesting… I’d always assumed the Push and Novation Launchpad were both computer-dependent and could not run standalone. Cool stuff!

Definitely inspired to resume my Octatrack studies, focusing on the Arranger. It may not be a Cirklon but the OTs are a heck of a lot easier to find and buy - meaning in stock and at a particular level of affordability. There’s one on Reverb right now for $3500 or so. Out of stock just about everywhere else.

1 Like

Push can’t run standalone - i’m programming a little arduino compatible processor to do all the processing; push is just the interface.

Launchpad Pro can run standalone tho

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve updated my old BCR2000 to Zaquencer, have a Keystep 37, what’d be anyone’s next simple-fun sequencer out there for live jams?

I have other things that can do sequencing like Digitakt, but I want something I can create variations with live.

OTOH …I should just wait for my OXI ONE to ship.

Not helpful yet, but I’m working on a sequencer (initially for Norns, but I may do an open hardware thing for teensy/arduino next year), inspired by the updated sequencer in the TB03, but with nice things like scales, deeper randomise/mutate features, etc. I’ve found that the TB03’s sequencer is really fun for live pattern manipulation, so I’m attempting to extend it.

edit: my real suggestion would be Nanoloop 2, but that’s obviously a bit of an edge case, because you can’t control external gear with it

2 Likes