Creative Sequencer

Hi guys! Is there such a thing as a creative sequencer (hardware pls)?
Something, like let’s say the one on Medusa, or any other u can think of, helping with creativity and ideas?
Did any of you had greater success than with the pianoroll?
Or there isn’t such a thing as that?
Thanks!

Have a look at Kilpatrick’s Carbon…

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/future-retro-zillion-algorithmic-midi-sequencer/618631-01/

I’ve had some great results with this and many happy accidents.

2 Likes

Soft-/ or hardware? If software, do you use Ableton Live or another DAW? Have you tried VCV Rack? If hardware, what are you looking for? Are you interested in Modular gear?

squarp pyramid
octatrack midisequencer
numerology + launchpad

6 Likes

NDLR aka The noodler.

Polyend Seq
Squarp Pyramid/Hermod
Future Retro Zillion/Orb

2 Likes

I have HUGE love for my Midisizer MidiALF! Definitely the most fun I ever have playing with a sequencer, I find it more like playing an instrument.

Has a bunch of really cool algorithmic/randomizing options for the sequence, plus 2 CC sequences and 2 CC lfos. Plus a bunch of killer new features Elektronauts would probably be into just came out in the v2 firmware:

• Conditional triggers for Note, CC1/2 and re-trigger, similar to the ones found in Elektron RYTM and Digitakt. No more static sequences, spice them up periodically, randomly or manually by pressing the SHIFT key!
  • Note, velocity and CC1/2 randomization. Note value can be randomized according to a selected scale which can be different for each step of a sequence. Try mixing different scales in the same sequence, endless joy!
  • Note re-triggering, 2-16 per step, velocity and pitch modulated, chromatic or restricted to a selected scale. Also can be conditionally triggered. Now you can ratchet just like TD!
  • Song mode: up to eight steps, each specifies the sequence to play, how many times and at what transposition.
1 Like

outside of eurorack/modular sequencing, it’s pretty hard to beat the Octatrack, which is a condensed version of a lot of the same stuff

everyone always loves the Cirklon, but I really don’t know anything about it other than it’s a pain to get one

Looks very cool my friend in what it can do :wink:
Really looks as a creative sequencer. Thanks!

1 Like

U say the Octatrack sequencer is creative? I mean getting ideas working with it more than in a piano roll?
Thanks!

OT doesn’t have anything like a piano roll as it shares the DNA of all Elektron sequencers, and the OT is actually pretty bad at being a normal MIDI sequencer. It is best for those that want to get more creative/modular - you can modulate the MIDI sequencer/arp with LFOs, and the audio sequencing side is extremely creative as well.

it’s probably not a good choice if all you want is a sequencer though, as the OT offers way more than that (is primarily a ‘performance sampler’) and requires quite some time investment to learn properly and even begin to understand what’s possible. I worked with modular gear/software a lot before I ever got an OT and that mindset has been very helpful

2 Likes

I’m about to bite the bullet on zaquencer for the bcr2000… will report back if it’s any good :smiley:

4 Likes

I find myself having more fun with basic sequencers that force me to get creative myself .

Creative sequencer? I’ve found them in iPad apps, still haven’t invested heavily on the hardware side. Apps:

Senode
Sunvox
dot Melody

2 Likes

On the ipad I love to toy with Quantum.

2 Likes

Can’t mention iPad without mentioning Bram Bros rosetta. I could probably leave particles playing something for days.

5 Likes

That looks intriguing…will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning!

1 Like

I had to leave it to someone else to mention Rosetta, as I have very little experience with it myself. :slight_smile:

Might get into it more after “Photon” (name subject to change) by midiSequencer (Tony Saunders) is released - it looks like the “just record the damn MIDI” AU app that has been missing. To be able to capture one’s generative experiments in a MIDI recorder is very useful.

1 Like

Spoiler Alert: It is.

Best value sequencer out there. Great for live sequencing and “creative sequencing” using the LFO/Waveshaping tool that’s built in. The random is also really good. All in all it’s a great and very tactile experience and I would highly recommend it.

The cons:
People have problems with the encoders and it’s not an easy fix since they’re encoders that are soldered rather than knobs on a pot.

It’s much bigger than I expected.

It can only send out 4 channels of midi. The chord modes are pretty good though, and you can get unpredictable results.

1 Like