Creative Sequencer

Yeah, my plan is to mainly (or exclusively?) use it with my Nords (1st gen Lead and Modular) so I think four channels will be plenty for what I want to do (ie. Autechre ripoffs). The LFO for pitch looks like it could get pretty crazy!

2 Likes

The myriad available in max4live

1 Like

very powerful app

1. would highly recommend my favorite software sequencer Monoplugs B-Step.
    missing some of its features in DAWless rig.

2. should mention Axoloti. despite it’s not really convenient for building sequencers —there are many very interesting sequencing objects available.

1 Like

Nodal is also interesting.
http://nodalmusic.com/

2 Likes

Indeed — Axoloti is my best friend! (I have 3) :grin:

3 Likes

Hardware please

1 Like

I think its time for a new sequencer, one which would allow to shift the sequences, on a push of a button, while having independent tracks, and ideally would allow time bending (play faster /slower) on touch of a strip.

Can you elaborate on this? I’m working on a sequencer and am interested in less common features people are looking for.

can be considered as semi-common feature, but anyway: step probability.
and of course, polyrhythm support. should allow to loop every used phrase of whatever length independently.
also: mute groups (and mute groups memory).

I think a sequencer which has a keyboard like interface, instead that a key plays a single tone, it plays a single sequence. Maybe a mod key allows to shift the octave, or the “key the sequence is played in”.

Ideally the the interval in which the sequence is played is configurable from now to next 1/4 bar, 1/2 bar, full bar.

Randomness via trig probability’s, maybe also random sequence starting would be cool, this could also allow for cool drum sequencing.

With bending i would mean the speed of replay could be set with a slider (like nudging). (This could be active untill the bending is released, and locked back into the global time signature, or the global time signature is adjusted to the nudged value.)

Ideally the keyboard is split, so one could play complementary sequences, on different midi channels.

Maybe several mod key allows to play the sequence with different recorded CC modulations.

Thanks for explaining, some interesting ideas there.

UI wise, keyboard interface is out for me. I actually have very little control over the interface, but even if I did, I don’t think I’d go for a keyboard interface. Most people have at least one keyboard knocking about and don’t need another one that only does sequencing. Allowing control via midi notes (using another keyboard), now that’s something that I would consider implementing.

1 Like

Can confirm: zaquencer is awesome

4 Likes

Oh do tell!

Tip of the hat to whoever indirectly bumped this thread by referencing it in another one started by the same person

The idea is a little dongle type thing that will turn a push MK1 into a midi sequencer. I figured there must be shit loads of them lying around unused and it relly does have huge potential as an interface for step sequencing.

I got some sequencing basics down but have had to return to some fundamental stuff to improve the timing.

I’m working on it when I can be bothered, in my spare time, which isn’t that plentiful, so it won’t be ready anytime soon.

1 Like

The squid sequencer is actually not far off in functionality from what I envisioned actually… But with at least 4 midi outs

1 Like

I guess the following infos fits here well … :slight_smile:

There is one device which is actually pretty genius to make your own sequencer, namely the
Novation Launchpad Pro. They have released a basic firmware for it which provides an empty main event loop and an API to get access to features like sending MIDI, modify the colors of the pads and stuff like this. There is even a small storage space for setting variables (or short sequences I guess).

When you are developer its pretty easy to get your own customized firmware going in a lazy afternoon (depending how much you are already familiar with VM based workflows).

The base firmware for the Novation Launchpad Pro can be found here:

An example of a custom firmware based on it can be found here:

https://fenixsong.com/openlaunch/

Another example - a kind of Controlling Surface for the Digitakt - from fenixsong (but not open source):

https://fenixsong.com/digipad/

Update - see also:

4 Likes

Now imagine that with a screen, 11 encoders, a load of other buttons, more memory for extra tracks/longer sequences and and memory card storage :slight_smile:

The nice thing about push is the LEDs and screen are controlled by midi so it was pretty quick to get the basic display parts of the code working, especially as I’m working with a teensy so have midi library ready to use.

If actually considered making a sequencer with a kind of driver interface for different controllers, with the launchpads in mind really

I’ve done my fair share of coding using a Push 2 as control surface for a kind of raspberry like setup 1-2 years ago … :wink:

Of course its much more versatile. But when a grid controller is enough for a project I really prefer the launchpad, because it is self-contained. No need for anything else then the device and your customized firmware.