Creative Sequencer

Thanks for explaining, some interesting ideas there.

UI wise, keyboard interface is out for me. I actually have very little control over the interface, but even if I did, I don’t think I’d go for a keyboard interface. Most people have at least one keyboard knocking about and don’t need another one that only does sequencing. Allowing control via midi notes (using another keyboard), now that’s something that I would consider implementing.

1 Like

Can confirm: zaquencer is awesome

4 Likes

Oh do tell!

Tip of the hat to whoever indirectly bumped this thread by referencing it in another one started by the same person

The idea is a little dongle type thing that will turn a push MK1 into a midi sequencer. I figured there must be shit loads of them lying around unused and it relly does have huge potential as an interface for step sequencing.

I got some sequencing basics down but have had to return to some fundamental stuff to improve the timing.

I’m working on it when I can be bothered, in my spare time, which isn’t that plentiful, so it won’t be ready anytime soon.

1 Like

The squid sequencer is actually not far off in functionality from what I envisioned actually… But with at least 4 midi outs

1 Like

I guess the following infos fits here well … :slight_smile:

There is one device which is actually pretty genius to make your own sequencer, namely the
Novation Launchpad Pro. They have released a basic firmware for it which provides an empty main event loop and an API to get access to features like sending MIDI, modify the colors of the pads and stuff like this. There is even a small storage space for setting variables (or short sequences I guess).

When you are developer its pretty easy to get your own customized firmware going in a lazy afternoon (depending how much you are already familiar with VM based workflows).

The base firmware for the Novation Launchpad Pro can be found here:

An example of a custom firmware based on it can be found here:

https://fenixsong.com/openlaunch/

Another example - a kind of Controlling Surface for the Digitakt - from fenixsong (but not open source):

https://fenixsong.com/digipad/

Update - see also:

4 Likes

Now imagine that with a screen, 11 encoders, a load of other buttons, more memory for extra tracks/longer sequences and and memory card storage :slight_smile:

The nice thing about push is the LEDs and screen are controlled by midi so it was pretty quick to get the basic display parts of the code working, especially as I’m working with a teensy so have midi library ready to use.

If actually considered making a sequencer with a kind of driver interface for different controllers, with the launchpads in mind really

I’ve done my fair share of coding using a Push 2 as control surface for a kind of raspberry like setup 1-2 years ago … :wink:

Of course its much more versatile. But when a grid controller is enough for a project I really prefer the launchpad, because it is self-contained. No need for anything else then the device and your customized firmware.

Nice. It was great of novation to open it up like that… they really seem like a great company

2 Likes

Yeah, - really great.

But I have also sorrily noted that even with such an easy-to-adapt open source base firmware for a great device there never formed a kind of movement around it.

There is often so much “crying” about that companies should open up their closed software. And what happens in the real world when one of them does it finally? They even went the extra mile to provide you with everything nicely packaged up …

Just 64 forks (and I guess many of them are from repo “collectors”).

Orca - an esoteric programming language set on a grid. You program small blocks of code that become sequencers for MIDI / OSC / UDP. Super fun.

6 Likes

yes! It makes me chuckle when people suggest companies should be open sourcing their firmware… I’ve seen it on here before. In reality the crossover between people who can understand the code, are interested in working on it and have the time to do so is ridiculously small.

2 Likes

This whole thing is so cryptic! Gives me a headache every time I start reading about it

Orca is such a nice playground when you dive really into it. I like such unusual and unique tools. Man, - so nice stuff and so little time to toy around. Life’s not fair … :wink:

BTW: It’s UI reminds me heavily on how you use the Empress Zoia.

2 Likes

Thats a really cool video. So baffled by it tho :slight_smile:

krYlon? :wink:

Midi-wise, the OT is nowhere near what the Cirklon can achieve.

1 Like

I was the same way. You can do a lot with just a few operators though. That’s how I got going, just working with a couple at a time. Start with ‘D’ and maybe follow it with ‘C’ & ‘T’. Cheers!

1 Like

Interesting… I’d always assumed the Push and Novation Launchpad were both computer-dependent and could not run standalone. Cool stuff!

Definitely inspired to resume my Octatrack studies, focusing on the Arranger. It may not be a Cirklon but the OTs are a heck of a lot easier to find and buy - meaning in stock and at a particular level of affordability. There’s one on Reverb right now for $3500 or so. Out of stock just about everywhere else.

1 Like