Creative Monosynths

How has nobody said the Erica Synths DB-01? It can get super rhythmic and it’s a riff monster. That or the Norand Mono are the best bet. Or the A4.

2 Likes

I second the DB-01. You can sample the hell out of that thing, plus it’s the best acid machine I have ever had. And I use it for drones/ambient a lot.

Never tried one myself, but the 0-coast also looks pretty creative to me.

2 Likes

Buchla 208C Easel Command

4 Likes

I’m thinking to buy a Behringer MonoPoly

1 Like

Pro 2, 4 Oscs, Paraphonic, Each osc syncable to its neighbour, expo and lin FM, PWM, distortion, feedback, four delay lines, you name it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The DB-01 and Norand Mono are both enormous fun and highly playable, but I don’t know if I’d choose either for abrasive electro. The A4 offers a wider sonic palette, but is also not the easiest to work with.

2 Likes

I’d use BLEASS Monolit or the Digitone in unison mode played monophonically. I’d run it through FabFilter Volcano to sizzle out certain frequencies.

From there I would pick a percussion or hihat polyphonic track to use as a sidechain input through a gate to add a complimentary rhythm and syncopation to the synth line.

From there a ping pong style dub delay sparingly with certain elements tied to LFO’s to add movement. I would also employ an LFO to the gates threshold to further vary the emphasis on the rhythmic elements.

Any other nice sounding analog or digital synth could be substituted with my choices to your taste.

1 Like

the norand mono looks the most innovative to me regarding recent synths. Would love to try it.
Sequential Pro 2 looks super impressive

1 Like

Because nobody’s suggested it yet I’d throw in the Norand Mono

6 Likes

A second-hand Mother-32 is a great buy, especially if you’re in the UK

2 Likes

Not a cheap option by any means, but my favourite rhythmic monosynth is the Buchla 208C. Pairing mine with a looper to create full tracks has been a wonderful learning experience.

1 Like

0-Coast can do some pretty intense rhythmic stuff, especially with a little external control.

Besides that I’d say Pro 2/3, BS2, MC-101, Norand Mono.

2 Likes

or with layering 4 tracks as single voice, each with 2 unison
while using mixer page for blending between them

2 Likes

Or you could just get a Monologue.

3 Likes

Analogue Solutions Fusebox
With the Patternator & Sequencer sections

5 Likes

Novation Peak can dish out some awesome mono patches… distortion pre and pro filter and the chorus can really make a bass HUGE!

Novation Circuit Mono Station. Totally slept on–most of a Bass Station II with a p-lock sequencer, and the filter has its own sound.

5 Likes

Too affordable.

4 Likes

A mono that’s abrasive and has lots of options for rhythm? Most creative option outside of eurorack imho is the Matrixbrute.

Seconded on the Circuit Mono Station. Rhythmically and sonically it’s got the goods.

3 Likes