Creative Monosynths

what is (in your opinion) the best monosynth to get creative/interesting rhythmic sounds?
I’m in the market for something new to make some abrasive electro type tracks.

2 Likes

Norand Mono?

6 Likes

Dfam!

7 Likes

I’m really not even trying to be an Elemtron fan boy but the A4 without question. You get four voices at once as well.

14 Likes

Dreadbox Typhon

5 Likes

Any good sounding monsynth through a rhythmically sidechained gate with a dub style delay, grain processors, and varying amounts of saturation/distortion.

‘Best’ is purely subjective and there is no single answer that can be called correct.

2 Likes

Moog Dfam as @Aksdnt mentioned.

Norand Mono as @highstandards mentioned, which also seems like a very fun machine for all sorts of sounds.

Bastl Kastle Drum.

Novation Bass Station II, especially with AFX mode.
Here’s Perplex On jamming on it:

3 Likes

Lyra + sampler

3 Likes

The Arturia Minibrute 2S is great for creative rhythmic patterns with its built in sequencer and 2 user-assigned modulation lanes. It has a reputation for being abrasive, though I manage to get plenty of smudgy moog goodness out of it. It also has the patch bay for extra creative possibilities. Great value for the $$.

6 Likes

Pro3 would get you there

2 Likes

Im so happy with my norand!

Thought about a nifty case und build my own, but nah…. I resist spaghetti synth :clown_face:

1 Like

Obligatory Matriarch post. To me its the most fun I have had with a mono synth (yes its got paraphony but so do other mono synths like the Subsequent 37).

2 Likes

I vote as well for the Bass Station II :boom:

2:17ff.
(no external effects in my vid)

6 Likes

Seconded.

2 Likes

I dont own a BS but whenever I play one at my local synth store I have a fun time. Sounds big and I like the layout.

1 Like

I guess a good question for the OP would be if a $2000+ Investment to cover their monosynth needs is feasible or warranted. There are many options for much less that sound great. If money is no hurdle then there are a few synths I could recommend with very good reputations for quality sound and brand recognition.

This says Norand Mono to me.

2 Likes

Norand Mono.

2 Likes

2 lfos 2 looping envelopes, per step sequencer automation = Sub 37.

3 Likes

My instant thought would be the Sub37 for the same reasons @Microtribe said.

The Arturia Microfreak covers a lot of ground and fits with what the OP is after too.

2 Likes