Control Digitakt with MIDI pad controller

Is anyone out there using a MIDI pad controller (like AKAI MPD) to control the Digitakt, for finger drumming, MPC style, where hitting a pad triggers that sound?

Yup. Using mpd32, and it works fine. Nice velocity.

6 Likes

Hey there,
I got a MPD 16 and try to control the different 8 Tracks from the DT. But actually I only control the pitch of the selected one track. Can I also set it to trigger the different Tracks of the DT.
Sorry, I’m totaly new in Midicontrolling.
Thanks for help!

No you don’t need to do separate MIDI channels per pad. Set the notes the pads are playing to the lowest octave. iirc C0 should be audio track one, C#0 track 2, D0 pad 3 etc etc

4 Likes

I use my electribe 2 as a pad controller for the DT. Works well.

2 Likes

Okay but that would also just effect the pitch of one Sound. I would like to trigger the different Tracks of the DT. For example Pad 1 triggers Track 1 (Kick Drum), Pad 2 triggers Track 2 (Snare) and so on. How can I set it with the MPD16?
May be its too easy, but I dont get it.
Thanks for helping!

Check out what spikysimon wrote above.

Yes electribe does this

Maybe I dont understand spikysimons Post, but I guess we mix up the words Pad and Track. I thought the MPD16 can trigger the different 8 samples with the pads directly. How do you set up the DT Midi settings for your electribe. Only if I set Auto Channel to 1 I can control the selected track on the DT. I was thinking the MPD Pad can immidiatly trigger the different samples without selecting the desired Track on the DT first.

Keep on grooving Bros and Sis

On electribe, Pads 1-8 will trigger DT tracks 1-8, and if you choose keyboard mode on the electribe you can play each DT track across the chosen scale.

Edit: And if you choose Track 10 on the electribe it will control the active track on the DT (Auto Channel)

1 Like

It can do this :slight_smile: But I think I may have confused a bit because the note settings I said abovemay not work with the MPD. Just set the MIDI channel the MPD is transmitting on to autochannel (14 by default). If you set pad 1 to transmit note C-2, that will automatically play audio track 1 (“Kick”) on the Digitakt, regardless of which track is currently active. setting pad 2 to C#-2 will play track 2, D-2, track 3 and so on… Check the manual under “MIDI NOTES”:

“Of the 128 notes in the standard MIDI range, Note numbers 0–8 correspond to notes C0 through to G0, the
leftmost octave (which is sometimes called C-2–G-2 in certain applications). These notes will trigger the
sound of track 1 through track 8, respectively (provided they are set to their default channels 1-8). These
notes values map to each of the eight tracks, regardless of which track is active.”

On both my Novation Impulse and my Boppad, I have to send notes C-2 to G-2, not C-0 to G-0

4 Likes

Auto channel is now 10 by default for new projects.

Good to know!

1 Like

It looks as though the Akai MPD16 (and related) series with DIN MIDI out are discontinued, and the recent offerings, e.g., http://www.akaipro.com/products/pad-controllers/lpd-8, only have USB out. Can anyone recommend a simple pad controller (with ideally 8 pads) to be used with Digitakt?

Instead, could I simply connect a MIDI controller with USB out to the USB in on the Digitakt?

The mpd226 still has regular midi but it requires one of this adapters that items like the beatstep and sq1 need.
The Mpx8 and mpx16 also do regular midi connections with one of those adapters.

Thank you so much. Finaly it works!

2 Likes

Nice! Enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

This!:slight_smile: Korg PadKontrol is the only i’ve found that’s still available. Never tried it myself but looks good. Most pad-controllers with Din Midi might be easier to get used than new stuff.

Has anyone had any luck using a drumpad such as a Roland SPD-SX or Yamaha DTX-Multi? If one of those were plugged into Digitakt’s MIDI port, would you be able to drum on the pads and the Digitakt would receive velocity-sensitive data?

Quick follow-up reply:

I now understand that I can send MIDI to the DT via the USB port. However, some of the USB MIDI pad controllers like the Akai LPD [details] only allow editing via software, i.e., not directly on the controller itself. Does anyone have experience with this working to control DT?