Control Digitakt with MIDI pad controller

dont you have access to any computer? the editing is very quick and easy, it was for my MPK mini when I had it anyway, im sure it will be the same software

I do, but admittedly was confused that the software is only for setting up the controller to be used with software, e.g., AU/VST, not additional hardware like the DT.

Huh. are you sure about that? On the MPK you set all your knobs to CCs and the controller can hold 4(?) different setups and they’ll send to whatever you plug it in to. Saying that, I think you’ll need whatever you’re plugging in to to send bus power to the pads which I don’t know if digitakt will. You may need a controller with its own power source

Hi !
Could you please explain how to do it ? I’m trying to change not per each pad, after a note 60 digitakt do not receive any midi from my mpd 26.
Thank you !

I’m not sure what you mean by note 60? Just set pad 1 to have note C0, pad 2 to have note c#0, pad 3 to have note d0, etc. I dont have an MPD but I’m assuming you can configure an mpd to do this. It works fine with my KMI boppad.

Hi There,
Could you explain how it finally worked ?
I don’t manage to do this.
Thx

Note 36 = C0
Do the math :wink:

My MPD16 got a sticker on the backside. It shows how to set the Note Number. I just pushed the “active” button and pressed “16 Levels” till it was down enough. Its been a time, so I dont know if this is actually solving your Problem.

a

1 Like

Would the MPD (or others with no midi out) work directly from USB now that it is class compliant? Or does this not change anything?

No. Neither Digitakt nor MPD are USB hosts.

1 Like

Right, thanks for the reply.

So how have others been able to use the MPD pads to control the digitakt if not by USB, given it doesn’t come with a midi out port anymore (e.g. Akai MPD 16)? By using a USB-midi converter? Or perhaps they were the older versions? Thanks.

The MPD16 has a 5-pin DIN MIDI Out port, as far as I can see:
https://www.akaipro.com/mpd16

If a MIDI controller only connects using USB, then both the controller and the DT have to be connected to a USB host device.

Pretty stoke on this.
Found a USB midi host on eBay for 65AUD, works like a charm! Now I can use that MPD218 that was gathering dust and play beats in live! Nice. Happy I am.

Next stop, update Octatrack and play breaks live. Purchase of the year!

1 Like

Does the MPD226 work with the Digitakt if you convert the midi out with the Elektron midi cable adaptor? Buying a midi set of pads will save me from buying an entire MPC.

Or maybe the older MPD26 would work better. Does velocity etc go through?

Took me a while to figure out how it works with a nord lead 4. On my midi-hub i can see that the nord lead sends notes on a range from C0-C6. This is not deep enough for my digitakt. I need to send from c-1 up to g-1 to trigger the audio tracks. The nord lead can be transposed down 6 semitones, but unfortunately this does not apply to outgoing midi-notes. So the only way is to get some external help, in my case the midi hub, to transpose notes down one octave. Just in case someone is having similar problems.

There’s an interesting project made by fenixsong:

by modifying the firmware on launchpad is possible to have melodic scales, arpeggio and alot of midi controls on Digitakt.
There is a free and a paid version of launchpad firmware