Connecting OT to OSX via MIDI

I’m trying to get my OT to connect to my (new) Macbook, in the hope of clocking a softsynth called Sunvox via MIDI -

I’m not sure if OSX should auto configure this stuff or not, but right now Sunvox isn’t registering the OT as a MIDI device.

I see there’s an OSX app called Audio MIDI setup -

but when I open it, again I can’t see the OT registered as a device.

The only post I can find on this stuff is this one -

which hints that OSX should be auto- configuring anyway.

So now I am a bit confused. I feel like this is something that I should be able to do, but am not clear how.

It’s possible the problem is at the OT level, the OSX level or the Sunvox level - but I feel that OSX is the most likely culprit right now.

(I have set the OT Proj -> MIDI -> Sync -> Transport and Clock Send to On)

Could someone possibly suggest which route I should be taking, and what the steps are ?

TIA.

How are you connecting the OT to the Mac? What type of cable and through what interface?

I’m guessing you have connected the OT to the Mac via USB. Is that right?

The OT is not a USB-MIDI interface. It only has a USB->Compact Flash reader.

If you wish to connect your OT to your Mac via MIDI, you’ll need another device in between. The most common option is an Audio+MIDI interface. The second most common option would be a pure USB->MIDI interface. There’s hundreds of each type across a range of prices.

3 Likes

If you already have some sort of MIDI interface (or Audio+MIDI interface), then OSX will be able to list that, and might be able to auto-configure some aspects of the connection, depending on the interface and its drivers… OSX wont be able to “see” the OT as an OT, because MIDI doesn’t provide that kind of discovery/labelling.

You can also use these wireless bluetooth midi adapters to connect your OT with a Macbook :

Cheap and works perfect to midi control your Macbook from the OT

1 Like

Ah. Okay. This is all very interesting. @Octagonist yes I connected OT to OSX direct via USB. My bad. However! All is not lost. I have a Squarp Hermod. I know that has MIDI in, am pretty sure it has USB out (not sitting in studio right now). Connect OT to Hermod MIDI in, Hermod USB out to OS X ? Sounds like that might work ? :crossed_fingers:

A4/AR have MIDI Ins and USB outs, but they don’t connect DIN to USB - it really depends on the device in question, not the presence of the required ports. It’s possible, but not guaranteed

btw USB to Squarp that is also appearing at its DIN does not make it a USB Midi Interface - you just need the Hermod to mirror the DIN Midi In to the USB out which would be quicker to try than await a response

@avantronica thank you but

you just need the Hermod to mirror the DIN Midi In to the USB out which would be quicker to try than await a response

I have precisely zero idea what that means :slight_smile:

Some progress - can now see Hermod as a MIDI source in Sunvox. But still can’t get it to clock :frowning:

Ah I see. DIN is just an acronym for the MIDI pin connector. So sounds like I need to configure Hermod to forward incoming MIDI info to USB Device out

Fixed! I had to set Hermod Clock Source to MIDI Port. Then works like a charm. I normally have this set by default but somehow missed it this time. Thank you for all the suggestions :slight_smile:

Thank God for the Hermod. I had been thinking it was over complicated for a MIDI <-> CV box - and was thinking of swapping it for a Mutable Brain - but this has really saved the day :slight_smile:

2 Likes