Confused about Kits/Projects/Sounds etc

Do you mean sound locks and parameter locks?.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I was thinking exactly.

1 Like

Thank you for your answers, I’ll try to do some experiments with Kits and patterns…

1 Like

Sorry if this have been asked before. Not sure if we have another thread for this kind of questions :roll_eyes:

After the first weeks using A4 mk1 I have 2 questions

Is there some way to mute / unmute a track without using the Function button? Some way to do that with just one hand?

When working different patterns in a project, when I change some value of a parameter in a track I have noticed (sometimes) that change will apply too to that track in other project patterns, even if I save every pattern before changing from one to another :thinking:

Yes, when you are on the performance macro page, the first six trig buttons mute the four synth tracks, fx track and cv track.

Are those patterns using the same kit?

1 Like

OH great :ok_hand:t3:

It’s very probable :+1:t3:
So, if using the same kit changes in a track will apply to all patterns in a project? Even if I select a different sound for that track in a different pattern?

In Elektron vocabulary,

• a Kit gathers the sound settings for every track, including FX.
  • a Pattern is the sequencer settings for every track (trigs, locks, track lengths, etc)

Both are independent.

You can have to Patterns sharing the same Kit: in such setting, every modification like e.g. adjusting track levels will be made for all the Patterns sharing the same Kit.

If you want different sounds between two Patterns, you have to use different Kits (e.g. by saving as a new one).

3 Likes

Thank you very much
This is my first Elektron machine using kits, so I didn’t know about that…

One more question then :blush:
I have seen I can just assign a single sound to a track, so I assume I don’t need to assign a kit, is it? What’s the benefit of using kits, apart from loading a bunch of sounds at one time?

Kits have macro’s for example (perf)

Or when jumping from one pattern to another, both in same kit, I know what I can expect

I moved this discussion in a more appropriate place because we were derailing a very interesting thread…

1 Like

The different parameters of the sound (oscillators settings, filter cutoff, envelopes, lfos, etc) for each track are stored in the Kit !
So you can’t do anything but using Kits ^^
Now the question is “what is the benefit of using the same Kit across several patterns?”: this makes it possible to have the same sound settings for every track in a progression of patterns.
But usually, I tend to use one Kit for one Pattern.

2 Likes