Confused about Kits/Projects/Sounds etc

Sorry for asking this but I
Am not finding the instructions easy to navigate.

I have made a few patches , I would like to save the patches to a file or area I can go back to.

How on earth do I do this??

I can re name the patch but I have got no idea how to save it and then transfer to the sound pool

Thanks .

You can either:

• save a Sound as part of the current Kit associated with the current pattern using SAVE KIT, or
  • save the Sound that is in use on the active track to the Sound Pool (or the sound banks on the +Drive) using STORE TRACK SOUND in the Sound Manager.

Thatā€™s great thanks.

It is the second option I want to do. But I have no idea how.
Can you point we where in the user instructions it tells you how to do this?
Or can you give me a brief description

Thanks

To save a patch I would use a Sound. By this I mean the term used by Elektron in the manual, and I would save it in the Drive so that I can access it from whatever project.

To do so, push Yes + Sound button, then hit the trig corresponding to the Bank you chose for your sound (e.g. trig 3 for Bank C) then hit yes, choose the right tags to make it easier to find it later, end then Save it.

ā€”

To load such patch, double hit your track button, hit trig 3 to access Bank C, or use the filter to reach your tag, hit yes: a copy of your Sound is loaded in current Kit. By copy, I mean that the sound loaded is now dissociated from your patch in Bank C, so that the later is preserved whatever the tweaks you make to the sound loaded in your Kit.

ā€”

Take the time to read the manual, you canā€™t use the A4/K to its full potential if you donā€™t.

1 Like

That should be printed on the outside aleeady :grinning:

Honest I cannot find where this is described In the Manuel. Please point me In the rite direction ?

Do you have AF MkI or AF MkII?

1 Like

Mk 2

STORE TRACK SOUND is described on page 33 (9.8.3) of the current MkII manual.

5 Likes

Hi everybody!
Maybe Iā€™m asking a silly question but I need to understand thisā€¦
Iā€™ve created a new pattern using a preset kit ; so I have my 4 tracks each one with a patch. Each patch has a name; when Iā€™m in the pool and trying to search the sound name (of one of the tracks) I canā€™t find itā€¦

Thanks in advance to whom will reply to it.

as advised in original thread - read above

Thanks

Hi friends, the good topic! Iā€™ve read a lot interesting to me.
Nowadays, I am messing around with my A4 MK2 and trying to realize, which way the most convenient and reliable to save everything in one main project, then to return to it, in a month, and that everything was in place 100% (kits, sounds, perf. settings, etc).
That is my main steps:

1. I store each my song in each bank: A,B,C, etc. so in the end, I have about 8 songs in the project. - thatā€™s the right decision?
  2. Before to close\change the project, I save each pattern to a new kit in each bank (I donā€™t know, I have around 15-20-30 Kits sort of ā€œKit_1_bankA_patt_1_verce1ā€ and of course Iā€™m always confuse in these names)))
  3. And finally, I write in a notebook which bank and pattern in A4 correspond to the bank and pattern in my Octatrack - Does anyone do exactly the same?

PS: I canā€™t believe that A4 is more difficult to understand than Octatrack for me :DDD

1 Like

I definitely feel the same way in regards to the OT vs the A4. I had a harder time getting the OT to make sounds (and make the sounds I want), whereas the A4 sound design seems to be very intuitive, but the data structure for the A4 is still a complete mystery to me, whereas the OT I more or less get the gist of, even if I donā€™t use all of the different features.

Iā€™m still not 100% sure when I should save an individual Sound vs a Kit, and I havenā€™t begun to dig into the Soundpool vs +Driveā€¦

1 Like

If I make a new sound I save it as a preset to sound managerā€¦
I think kits are just there to make it possible to switch to different sounds on different patterns within the project, if you save a kit it stays attached to the pattern you are onā€¦

The +drive is where everything is stored.
You only put sounds in the soundpool so you can do soundlocks.
Eg a different preset on each step

1 Like

So obviously saving a new sound to Sound Manager is basically like every other synthā€™s Presets system, whereas Kits are like Performances on many other synths, I get that. But what I donā€™t get is whatā€™s saved on a Pattern, is it only Kits?

So if I want different sounds on different Patterns, I have to save them all as a Kit first? Does this mean Sounds on a Pattern are irrelevant and only temporary until theyā€™re saved as a Kit?

Likewise, if I load a Kit on Pattern A1, then copy that Pattern to A2, if I want to keep the same Kit but slightly change the sound(s), say a lower filter frequency or different Amp settings, can I just change the sound parameters without them effecting the whole Kit, or do I need to save that as a new sound, or a new Kit?

1 Like

Yeah Sound manager is just the preset menu like any other synth

Saving a pattern is just a performance feature it saves the trigs.
Itā€™s so you can save the trigs alter them then reload them as far as Iā€™m aware,

the Active kit will carry across onto the next pattern or all patterns until you save a kit
Once you save it as a kit it will be locked to the pattern and saved to the pattern
Then the new kit will the active kit and carry to other patterns ā€¦

If you donā€™t save it as a kit when you change the filter it will effect the sound on other patterns
You would need to save a new kit if you want the filter and amp to be different to another patternā€¦

Just remember if you make a pattern then you go the next pattern
and you want it to have another kit.
Save the kit first
or you will still be changing the sounds on the active kit that is still going from the last pattern and you will mess up the sounds on the last pattern like I did thatā€™s how I learnt

This is my understanding so far and donā€™t seem to be having any problems,
I donā€™t save many kits I just save new projects because Iā€™m using it for producing,
Not really needing to jump to new sounds. I can just load a new project to get my saved kit and patternsā€¦

Iā€™ve just double checked everything I wrote here and itā€™s all correct

3 Likes

Always save both the kit and the pattern it is used on separately - remember they are linked.

Try to have a different kit for every pattern if that is the way you want to use the A4 - until I did this I was a bit lost on my sounds always were changing.

I save every time that I make something I like. Always.

1 Like

Isnā€™t saving pattern just saving the trigs that are saved automatically anyway?
I read else where that saving pattern was just a performance feature and gets lost once you change patternsā€¦
and saving the kit is just for the sounds?,

Yeah I just tested, saving pattern only saves the trigs so you can change them
and reload themā€¦ as soon as you change pattern that save is lost.

Good to know it saves trigs automatically - thanks. Does it save individual changes to trigs?