Companion for my Digitakt, cycles?

So I am not a hardcore Digitakt user but more of a regular hobbyist. After having the DT for a while (and still have so much to learn) I am looking for a companion to have some more sounds and options.

I am pretty tight on budget (around 300) so a Digitone will not be an option. I am looking at synths like the Microfreak for a while, but suddenly thought about a Model Cycles.

Will the Cycles be a good expension for my DT? Or will it be more of the same with the 4 standard drum machines in it.

I started with a Model:Cycles, then added a Microfreak, then a Digitakt. I found those first two quite limited in different ways. I’m still trying to appreciate the M:C, but have given up on the MF (mine is for sale). M:C does not sound like the Digitakt, but its strength is in FM-synthesized percussion. Listen to a lot of demos and you will get a sense of its core sound.

You might consider getting on the list for the next batch of Micromonsta 2. That is quite different, and will soak up DT MIDI tracks.

4 Likes

Thought of another possibility in your limited price range: the new Volca FM mk2.

3 Likes

Thanks. Did not know the Mikromonsta. I will have a look.

That’s what’s holding me back from the Cycles. I know it’s different from samples, but I use my Digitakt mostly for drums and looking to expand it with more other sounds.

Maybe I should consider to just integrate my MacBook again. Although I bought my DT to finally leave the screen

I’m also using hardware to get away from my laptop (though now I spend too much time reading forums). One thing I plan to do more of is use my iPad for music. Apps are amazingly cheap for what they deliver, and the touchscreen interface is, for me, a sufficient change.

1 Like

Circuits could be a good choice in this price range.

2 Likes

Which one?

I always see someone with a circuit on the Elektron Reddit page and it looks very good.

1 Like

Id say since the digitakt is more than capable of handling drums. Id go with the Circuit Tracks or just the OG Circuit if youre on a budget. 2 synth engines with a very capable sequencer and 4 sample based drum tracks to add to your DT. The synth engine is either something you like or something you will have to find sweet spots with from my experience.

2 Likes

Both Cycles and Microfreak are fantastic options depending on how you want to work.

I think there’s a world of value in having a nice monotimbral synth and sample it and compose exclusively on the DT(Maybe live perform a single voice from the MF)

If you’re wanting an accompanying performance instrument to partner with the digitakt, then the cycles would be good for that

3 Likes

Tho, honestly- working with the digitakt. The most relaxing and wonderful workflow I’ve worked with is just a decent iPhone running korg gadget or Spotify and working with sounds that inspired me from there

3 Likes

The Model:Cycles is a perfect partner to the Digitakt especially if you’re a hobbyist. The workflow is very easy to get into and those 2 instruments understand each others just fine, they’re both Elektron products and the sequencer is the exact same thing. It is a perfect choice my friend. Go for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d add the standard IPad with USB adapter. Then each paycheck or coffee shop you skip you could add a new synth, sampler, midi app, or FX.

You will quickly have a very versatile and powerful setup able to do whatever you want it to do.

2 Likes

I initially added a Blofeld to the DT and enjoyed the combination but further down the line I added a Digitone and it made a huge difference. I realise your budget is 300 but Digitones can be had for under 500. I got mine for 400 used. Seriously see if you can expand your budget slightly, the Digitone and Digitakt are an incredible combo.

1 Like

Someone on the forum is selling a monotribe with midi kit. :slight_smile:

I think I’ve finally decided I don’t like my circuit, as useful as it is, because editing sounds with the computer has become such a deal-breaker for me. It’s great for kids though.

Cycles is amazing alongside a sampler. It has a much broader range than is at first apparent, especially when processed with the digitakt.

3 Likes

Really? Cheapest I have EVER seen is $600

Here’s one for £430 right now

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/341119271278904/

1 Like

430 Pounds equals US$540 then you gotta pay for shipping and customs so that’s another 100 bucks easy… Get yourself a brand new Model:Cycles with warranty for 300 bucks, you’ll love it…

Cycles is a great pair-up with the DT! Put Cycles on drum duties and free up the DT for melody & texture, sample in the Cycles’ chord machine with some overdrive and then slow it down for some very nice results, take the Cycles to new heights of complexity with the DT’s MIDI channels… any Elektron pairing is a winner, but this combo of a synth and something that can sample a synth is particularly fertile.

4 Likes

Thanks all for your suggestions. Cycles sounds fun for my needs and budget.

Still in doubt wether to buy a synth or a extra ‘groove box’ that let me expand the workflow in more ways than just one midi track. On the other hand I have not yet mastered the potential of the DT even close.

I wil watch some videos and will check if I can test a Cycles anywhere.