Companion for my Digitakt, cycles?

BTW can you sequence the 6 tracks of the M:C with Midi tracks from the DT? Or do you need to control both machines separately?

Yes, you can. But since the M:C tracks are monophonic, thereā€™s not much advantage to doing that. You can set things up so that the DT run/stop buttons work for both machines simultaneously.

iPad really, at that budget - sampling material, synths, all midi controllable. you can also record, and process your audio with fx. Class compliant usb, no power cables and such - perfect.

Been thinking about an iPad. But maybe I should ditch the idea of being away from the computer and use my MacBook with the complete NI Maschine library.

I bought the DT because I could not find my way into DAWā€™s and wanted to work without a screen. Then I found out the DT is a beast in combination with VSTā€™s and I quickly blocked this idea.

Iā€™ve never used computer, but the ipad feels like an instrument, especially if you just run one app at a time.

Iā€™m selling an M:C if youā€™re interested. Honestly, the best companion depends on what music you make. But the M:C is fun to use and it isnā€™t hard to design sounds with it.

Havenā€™t seen anybody say it yet; but you could buy a good amount of synth on craigslist for $300. Some of the vintage Casio CZ series and Yamaha DX (except the DX7 which people charge too much for imho), the Korg DS series, etc. Really depends on the sounds youā€™re after too.

PSA: Some real turds on craigslist so google the heck out of your chosen product before ya buy.

I would +1 this notion. For a starter studio theyā€™re hard to beat in value. Almost any of the Circuits line is golden but the Tracks is my fave.

1 Like

If youā€™re really limited to <$300, then +1 on either Cycles or MicroMonsta 2, depending on what you think you need.

Cycles = 6 more independent monophonic tracks, but of hands-on FM machines.

MicroMonsta2 = 1 or 2 stereo polyphonic tracks + fx (driven by your DT MIDI) of a very deep and great sounding virtual analog + FM + WT, etc. synth.

What kinds of sounds appeal to you and do you want more/alternative drums with your DT or do you want to add rich, layered synth sounds?

Bear in mind, either source can be sampled back into the DT for further mangling or to free up the devices for more stuff.

I found adding an iPad to a DT/DN combo a major headache. Tried running various iOS programs to route MIDI but it kept dropping connections. I know people do it and have a lot of success but wanted to throw my opinion in. Now Iā€™ve got a MIDI splitter that has the DN sending midi to my MS20 and Minilogue.

Thatā€™s weird and would be frustrating. Iā€™ve been using iPad with the DT and DNK since the first day they became class compliant audio interfaces and have never experienced those problems even once. Far from being a headache in my experience, itā€™s been typical plug and play smoothness.

Thanks. I like the idea that for that budget I can instantly add more tracks to my jams. So I think the M:C is hard to beat for that price.

Of course I will be looking for further expansions in the future. But I think it will suit my needs for now, until the inflation lowers a bit.

But will definitely look at the MM2 also.

Dreadbox Typhon is a really fun, very hands on playable synth. I picked mine up used for $300. Sample that thing. Sequence it too.

Ok just listened to this preset pack for the Micromonsta2 and I have to say itā€™s amazing.

Put myself on the email list for the new batch.

2 Likes

O no, falling in a hole at the moment.

Is it true that the Waldorf Blofeld is multitimbral and has 16 midichannels, so you can assign all 8 channels to the Blofeld and sequence them af the same time?

1 Like

I like this Blofeld idea! Itā€™s multitimbral and the DT has a bunch of MIDI tracks. Iā€™ve always wanted a Blofeldā€¦ This thread is making me want to get one. Lol

I think so. Iā€™ve never used one, so I donā€™t want to say yes for sure, but thatā€™s usually the cool thing about multitimbral synths

Blofeld does work good with Digitakt, minus various things like it not recording pitch bend etc. That stuff is well documented. But Blofeld is great for bass/pads/textures/noise etc, but can take a bit of effort to get the sound youā€™re after at times. Also I wouldnā€™t expect to use any more than 3 or 4 actual sounds at once as it all gets a bit muddy and the polyphony will top out. For the price tho itā€™s a great solution.

1 Like

I will advise against M:C. Both DT and M:C are designed to be rhythmical boxes with melodic stuff as a bonus. You can run M:C as a sound module but in this role itā€™s rather limited. Check my and @bibenu replies in this thread.

As a DT user myself I would suggest you to look for a poly synth with a keyboard first. This way you will not only cover melodic part but also will have useful interface for entering notes into DT: used Minilogues, Microkorgs, Mininovas. Microfreak as well even though itā€™s paraphonic.

If you are ok with DTā€™s own keyboard layout search for polyphonic modules like already mentioned Micromonsta or Blofeld.

Then monophonic synths with a keyboard. After them monophonic modules and only then a groove box like MC.

2 Likes

Thanks. Thatā€™s the only thing holding me back on a M:C. I already use a KeyStep pro with my DT to enter notes. So a desktop will be enough. Still looking at the Microfreak though.

1 Like