Coming soon

The only point that matters…:blush:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m a bit perplexed by the way this topic is discussed. It’s like it’s taken for granted that feature requests should be implemented, and that there’s this sinful component to one machine having a feature another one doesn’t.

When I bought the DT I never expected that anything other than OB and bug fixes was on the horizon. The additional functionalities that have been added was a cool bonus.

I also think you make a good point about OB development not needing added layers of complexity right now.

3 Likes

I here what you’re saying.

The real quandary of it is: if the MS is supposed to be the ultimate budget box of Elektron(the midi not even designed to send CC values) why input the R&D and development investment for the individual track scaling? Out of all the units to do it, why that one? If not implementing it can lead you to to charging $25 less per unit and thus make it even more inviting for the demographic you’re seeking to reach out to, why include it?

Like I’ve said before, I wasn’t previously irritated by the lack of inclusion of Ind Track Scaling on my other devices- I just figured, for the idea of the unit, it didn’t fit what they were aiming for.

But since the MS is like a bare bones direct Digitakt without sampling and extended midi capabilities, why include this exclusive feature within it?

I’m not jealous of them, if I had it I’d probably rarely use it. It just doesn’t make sense to me

I had quite a bit of fun using a stereo widening plugin on the single mono channels coming to Ableton from the DT via OB last night. Somewhat unrelated, but Overbridge really does offer any machine using it an infinite amount and of possibilities and extension of the machine. Granted it might not be OTB, but you can get your 10 LFO’s if you really want them.

3 Likes

I guess the M:S is simply a test bed of the re-implementation. As I wrote: you need to start somewhere …

Only the future (when OB2 development has settled) can show if it is really an exclusive feature or not (not counting OT, of course). I sincerely believe it’s just a starting point.

To me it’s normal new gear will include new features that older gear may not have, even lower priced gear. That’s 101 development in software, hardware, anything really. Whether it can be retrofitted back depends on the flexibility and capability of the older gear and willingness if the vendor to do it. Often it is not financially feasible to do do. Newer gear will have newer more advanced features.

2 Likes

Obviously, but why the old neglected feature on the new budget machine?

It’s that absence arch that raises conflict

2 Likes

Maybe it’s needed to ensure this particular instrument functions as intended? People look at what this device has that others lack. Pretty sure the other devices have a tonne of other features this one lacks. Elektron are under no obligation to make all devices absolute concurrent in feature set, although they seem to try their best at doing so. I don’t think people realise how complex managing concurrent features are forward and back in time, across various products, is.

1 Like

Didn’t even consider this, that’s an excellent point about the time based fx

1 Like

Yes. I get that, of course. But holding off on including that feature for THIS particular device. I mean, surely, you can understand the negative response to it? I believe the branding of this machine is meant to be “the affordable option”- that’s the branding, is it not?

It just comes across as if they’re selectively limiting their machines in order to sway people to either buy this new machine,(that may otherwise not have a use for what this hardware offers) or buy an OT.

Which they’re totally allowed to do, no doubt- but it introduces a similar apprehension with Elektron similar to a sleazy used car dealership.

3 Likes

I find it best to accept it and move on. I agree wholeheartedly but they’re a company and will do things like deliberately leave features out and deny it. And fans will back them up on it. Love elektron but they very obviously lead out features to avoid overlap and deny it, im cool with it tho, better than no elektron

1 Like

I guess having worked in software design I have a sympathetic view on this. Each box has literally thousands of features under the hood. I can just understand the level of documentation, review, testing it would take to not let something like this slip through with certainty. I doubt Elektron sit around a table and review absolutely every single feature to ensure it doesn’t slip through the net for fear of upsetting someone. They just don’t have the person power to review and make decisions on thousands of options. I would expect it’s a case of ‘this specific feature would be really cool and work well in this device so let’s include it’, and often it is just a developer with some autonomy doing so during coding - build phase.

5 Likes

That’s what i was thinking too, with their previous catalog. However, there is no significant case for why this feature is more welcome in this machine than, say the Digitakt.

5 Likes

Yeah, you’re right.

It’s just a bizarre shift in the perception of a brand. Like, removing overlap between products before felt so casual and natural. This one seems so arbitrary, it’s annoying.

4 Likes

There doesn’t have to be a ‘case’, just someone deciding it will fit well. It could be a situation of different developers working on different device projects or a gap in quality management, versus a concerted effort to bean count a single feature in to sway sales one way or another. But that’s just how I see it. I’m not really a big one for conspiracy theories especially when discussing 1 feature amongst thousands.

3 Likes

It’s probably a little of column A and a little of column B realistically. You’re both right. No conspiracy theory but I doubt elektron is completely oblivious to what they’re doing either

1 Like

Firmware updates don’t earn instant cash. F*ck it though, stick a load of features that people actually want in the DT & DN and I’d pay for it.

I wasn’t really referring to anyone specific as this has been mentioned many times on here, and by many people assuming lines of code will fix it right up.

1 Like

But maybe it isnt technically Not so easy to implement in older Machines due to Hardware issues?

Plus they have to Finish OB First…