Classic breaks?

I’m looking for HQ samples of classic breaks (like amen etc) for chopping and messing with. Anything used in hip hop, d&b, 90s house etc. Anyone have a good source? Would prefer not YouTube since stuff from there doesn’t sounds great imo

I think in this age of lawsuits and copyright infringements you’ll have to search…alternative…sources for the real deal.

But it’s out there.

3 Likes

PM sent

3 Likes

Hi, you could “grab” them from the web, of course, but I bought this CDs and sampled them

or my recommendation

Have fun :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Please send me a PM as well =)

3 Likes

I tend to dig into my old vinyls but you could also search out old un-mixed compilation CD’s

There was a series released in the 90’s called ‘The Breaks’ with full versions of the songs that donated their beats for the greater good. Not sure how many volumes there were, I bought Vol. 1 when it came out.

Alternatively you could pick up some VDrums and bang a few out of your own! Worked for me. Sadly I no longer have my VDrums, only a classic Premier kit.

3 Likes

Tracklib is a great resource for things like these. High quality audio and very reasonable licensing fees (usually $1.99 USD)

2 Likes
7 Likes

also, while we’re here, SHITTY IS PRETTY, yo.

6 Likes

Search Blue Mar Ten jungle jungle sample pack

8 Likes

Ned Rush patreon ?

1 Like

Hi all,

Where do people get their breaks?

I tried downloading a bunch of free stuff online from multiple places and the breaks are either incomplete or sound like total crap.

Where can I get some decent breaks? I’m just after all the classics like amen etc etc etc

I don’t want to just sample stuff I hear because of copyright.

Cheers

Have you tried the Bluemarten jungle jungle free pack?

Also check out the grid section of the Dogsonacid forum

Search jungle warfare 1 also

Amen break is also avaible via the free sounds website I think too

2 Likes

YouTube should have decent sound if it’s a recent upload, I think. But to be fair Im not the pickiest when it comes to samples, in fact I’m a big fan of strange distortion and artifacts, etc.

1 Like

This thread made me curious to see a list of the top sampled breaks. I find the quality of a streaming service + blackhole (Mac audio routing) good enough for my use. https://www.whosampled.com/news/2016/12/06/top-20-most-sampled-breakbeats-2016-update/

Tons of free classic drumloops here:

https://rhythm-lab.com/breakbeats

(you’ll need to scroll down a bit)

3 Likes

If you have Logic and just want some breaks and don’t want to worry about copyright, Logic’s loop library has quite a few nice breaks. You can also use Logic’s Drummer plugin to create unique breaks to chop up.

Anyone else use different breaks other than the amen or soul pride?

One thing I’ve been enjoying is making my own breaks on digitone, mangling them up in bitwig and then sampling/chopping on the polyend tracker

5 Likes

I don’t call samples of programmed rhythms “breaks”/“breakbeats”; they’re “beats” or “patterns” to me. For me, those 60s-70s recordings have a range of tones I adore that are incredibly hard to replicate in modern technique. Partly it’s the playing style, mostly is the recording technique. The YT you posted nails it.

Can you get “dusty” sounds from a DN, or do you go for a different tone?

2 Likes

Anyone else use different breaks other than the amen or soul pride?

I’ve got volume one of that Bernard Purdie collection, and also the old Jungle Warfare sample CD from Zero G. There are tons of breaks on there that aren’t just the Amen.

1 Like