Cirklon's a coming!

I just preordered regular edition. Can’t wait for it to sequence my drum modules and my prophet 6 with it

2 Likes

Has anything happened on the software side of things of the Cirklon these past five years? I got a Cirklon in the summer of 2013, and while it was built as a tank and all that, I quite frankly found it to be pretty underwhelming. It can do a lot of the basic sequencing tasks, of course, as you would expect, but it seemed to me to be in a pretty rudimentary state back then. I actually sold it after a few months, as I found the Octatrack to be a far more capable midi sequencer overall. Song mode in particular was just useless, as far as I remember.

I’m not sure at any point Octatrack’s sequencer has beaten Cirklon’s, although it was cool when the OT finally got conditional trigs (Cirklon could always do conditional type processing for any of its events, even its own sequencer parameters). And while I’ve battled the OT’s Arranger and lost (so I may have missed some feature that is extraordinary), Cirklon’s Song Mode is a perfectly straight forward means of stringing scenes together. Yes, Cirklon could be slicker in places, but I can’t think what specifically the OT’s sequencer has that appeals so much? Perhaps the limit of 8 MIDI channels squeezed through a single MIDI port appeals to you (?), but I’d love to know of other examples, some actual details. Then I could answer your question as to whether Cirklon has caught up and maybe take some feature requests away.

4 Likes

Each to their own. I just found the Cirklon, at the time when I had it (2013) to be quite underwhelming for my intended use. I found a lot of the features of it quite hard to grasp and get into any of kind of reasonable workflow I was comfortable with, so I probably didn’t utilise it fully.

Your question is pretty hard to answer then as it seems to have shifted from one of sequencer features to workflow. I’ve used the OT since it came out but your comments about it being a more capable MIDI sequencer overall are pretty baffling, at least without some examples. Oh well.

2 Likes

Yeah, I take that back, the Octatrack is clearly not an objectively more capable midi sequencer, it just worked better for me as one.

Fair enough. :slight_smile:
And as for Cirklon’s Song mode, I’m afraid I must take some responsibility for that as the idea came from me, or rather I pinched it from an old favourite sequencer Dr T’s KCS. It was always intended to be upgraded later to full LSD mode (Linear Song Director) but not there yet. There are many reasons for this, not least being democracy. (Lots of users now, each with their own ‘must have’ features).
All the best

4 Likes

Ah, cool. Interesting with a bit of insight, thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

They are different beasts and shouldnt be compared. Ones a bad ass swiss army knife sampler with the added bonus of 8 midi sequencing tracks allowing a max of 4 notes per step.

The other is arguably the best digital hardware midi sequencer ever created with a FAR more advanced sequencer - i mean thats what its designed to do!

5 midi ports soldered to the PCB/chip for zero (real zero) jitter, USB port and if you have the CVIO board, access to 8 gate outputs (14 clock sends if thats what you want and thats before you include the 16 CV outs)

I own both and sequence my OT from the Cirklon, not the other way around. :wink:

New updates to the beta software allow you to create digital envelope generators (meaning you dont need to waste money/hp on buying EGs for your modular), LFOs etc…

I dont personally use all this stuff as i prefer to just jam out but if you get on the sequentix forum and have a read through, its a great resource. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

personally I haven’t really found the OT only having one port to be an issue. I’ve got enough synths to max out the midi port, but when am I ever using even all eight tracks at once, let alone needing more? and I haven’t really had any issues with timing (though the midi does hit a 4-way thru box after the OT). maybe people are more hyper about that than me, I dunno… (I’d just adjust it in my daw anyway, if it were off.)

that said, I’m on the list for a Cirklon. the OT is handling my sequencing needs great but I’d love to check the Cirklon out, simply because it does have some interesting stuff and, well, it’s supposed to be the best. and I have enough midi to cv converters going, selling them will fund the CVIO and half the Cirklon! :rofl:

Just to say I’m 15 months in on waiting list with no word from Cirklon if you wandered about times.

1 Like

Some people are on 22 months. But hopefully things will pick up in April

What happens in April?

Not hugely surprised about that, but I was told the wait time was approximately twelve months when I put my name down eight months ago. Seems like that was quite a big misestimation.

I put my name down a few months back, however having since bought an Octatrack, I may not not bother. Looks like I’ve about two more years to make my mind up!

1 Like

I’ve no need for it now so I guess if it’s cool I can let you guys know on here and I guess offer my place to first person who hits me up? or is that not cool?

1 Like

They’re moving premises having put up with a year of disruption of various sorts. Colin posted on the Sequentix forum all about it. Fingers crossed production will start ramping up again. I’m on 15 months too.

4 Likes

In my personal opinion, it would be better just to drop your place and allow all the others who have been waiting a long time to advance one place in the line.

4 Likes

I’m on 14 months. I sent two messages last month, but got no responses. I don’t mind it taking a long time as much as I mind poor communication, and a lack of an ETA so I can budget my spending though.

1 Like

That’s my feeling regarding the poor comms