Cirklon's a coming!

Per Part, yep that makes sense.
Running the Sequencers indepentantly is what I mostly do these days but there are times, especially when revisiting archived material, that you want everything to recall in sync.
Thanks man

1 Like

Iā€™m not married to elektron sequencing or anythingā€¦right now I generally have all the sequencers running independent with just clock and program start/stop midi to everythingā€¦that being said I wouldnā€™t mind being able to get a little more centralized in terms of sequencing like I did on the OT for a while. My OT is just a sampler/mangler at this point as it doesnā€™t really have enough tracks/inputs/outputs to do what I want. The sequencer on my sub37 is getting a major update so I wonā€™t need the OT to sequence that anymore either. Basically, current setup is that all sequencers run independent except my sub37 and minitaur. My beloved metropolis sequencer doesnā€™t have the ability to save a bunch of different sequences. :slight_smile:

I havenā€™t pulled the trigger on the cirklon yet because build time is a good ways out and shipping to US. I suppose one other question would beā€¦do you have an AR and are you using your cirklon to sequence that?

It seems at the very least if I can get cirklon talking to everything I can have a central spot to have a lot of sequences saved.

^ I do have the AR but donā€™t normally sequence it from the Cirklon bā€™cos its own sequencer is light years beyond the Silver generation & covers most bases for me.
Mosly I was missing individual Pattern lengths, repeats, micro timing & note masking which the AR covers.

I did find it made a huge difference to sequencing the MD probably bā€™cos it lacks those features.

One thing I found with the Elektrons is that as soon as you remove the internal sequencers from the equation something very special is lost. Theres a wonderful ergonomic workflow & theyā€™re so fast to program. Itā€™s almost a shame to reduce an Elektron machine to just being a sound module!

I know what youā€™re saying about having a central point & that appeals greatly. Backing up one machine to save everything for all your machines sounds wonderful but the reality isnā€™t quite so simple. Elektrons for example need a trig on the internal sequencer to recall a kit.

Maybe itā€™s just my mental approach but I find it irritating that in order to gain random gate masks, inter track relationships, different pattern directions, un-impeded swing etc I have to lose p.locks & trig tracks on the MM for eg!

Guess you canā€™t have it all or if you can Iā€™ve not figured it out yet, lol

One area Iā€™m looking to explore is where the Elektrons hold their own data but are being recorded by Cirklon. This would allow note grab which in turn could be manipulated by Aux events then sent out to the modular or whatever else! Allow you to back up the Elektron data too, well except the AR.

Bottom line with the Cirklon is that you can read & research as much as you want but until youā€™ve set it up & played with it youā€™ll not know if itā€™s for you.
With resale prices being as high as they are Iā€™d just get on the waiting list, pick one up then flog it if it doesnā€™t work out.

1 Like

Is it possible to use a Cirklon or other midi device to sequence or trigger samples from flex or static machines in the Octatrack?

The bar length features of the Cirklon make counting out different time signatures more intuitive for me personally.

Under Midi Control the OT Audio note & CC in is enabled. The Cirklon is sending midi on the same channel as OT trig channel 1. This doesnā€™t seem to do anything.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just now how this thing works?

Yes, it is possible. Read page C-1 of the OT manual to see which notes the OTā€™s sample playback machines respond to (only a 2-octave range).

Yes it works. Iā€™ve this setup tooā€¦ when i make the pattern on cirklon i have to take a very hight c note ( like c6 or 7). Right now iā€™m not near my gear so i donā€™t know exactly witch octave it is.

To follow up as well - I use my Cirklon to trigger the OT a lot. One tip - in the Cirklon user settings, change it to display MIDI numbers instead of notes. Then you can more easily map the note numbers to the functions you want to trigger.

Unfortunately you canā€™t set this per-track, so once you have the OT mapping sussed out, flip it back if necessary.

Also as others have posted, make sure the OT settings for all things MIDI are correct. It does work and itā€™s fantastic to be able to either trigger the sample or the track from an external sequencer. You do need to carefully read through the various OT settings for things like ā€˜track plays freeā€™, but it definitely does work.

1 Like

YES YES YES

Where can I find the list of controls that the OT takes to change patterns?

In the phrase ā€œMIDI Program Change messagesā€.

The OTā€™s manual somehow omits to mention this.

Iā€™ve been digging in both the cirklon and OTā€™s manuals/forums as well as some general MIDI web research and canā€™t find a straightforward explanation here. Could someone help spell this out for me?

Ive set the OT program change receive channel to the same channel that an instrument in the cirklon is outputting messages from. Ive tried every octave and canā€™t get the OT to respond. How do I properly set this up?

Program Change messages do not have an ā€œoctaveā€.

What are you actually trying to do?

Ok I guess I totally donā€™t understand a program change message. Iā€™m trying to get the Cirklon to send program change messages to the OT to correspond to scene changes on the Cirklon, that way all of my sequencing is controlled on one machine

A Program Change just sends a number (0 - 127), which on the OT corresponds to an Octatrack pattern. Because the OT has 256 patterns (A01 ā€¦ P16) you will likely also need to send a Bank Change before the Program Change to select from the full range of OT patterns. smokyfrog posted more details earlier in the thread that you posted on in the Sequentix forum. You will need to set that up in the Cirklon instrument definition for the OT.

You will need to send the Program Change from the Cirklon on the MIDI channel number that you have assigned in the PROG CH RECEIVE and CHANNEL settings in the OTā€™s PROJECT > MIDI > SYNC menu.

Fellow Cirklon users that are also familiar with Elektron devices, I need your love your input! :slight_smile:

Really enjoyed my first few days with the Cirklon! Slowly working back through the manual with the machine now in front of me. So please excuse me if lots of this are covered in there, just taking me a while to soak it all in after so long using the Elektron machines.

Just wondering if there are Cirklon equivalents for some of the functions I use regularly on the Elektron machines.

Firstly - I often save tracks, patterns and kits within the Elektron boxes - I am then free to change various parameters, raise decays, close filters, add extra trigs, change pitch of sounds etc before then resetting the pattern/kit/track back to its saved state. Grown really reliant on this in a live context, especially because you can press ā€˜no+kitā€™ as a shortcut to quickly reload/reset the kit - is this possible within the Cirklon? Iā€™d like to be able to change track values knowing that I can reload to the saved state.

Second: is it possible to p-lock track values? Or is it only possible to p-lock parameters assigned in the aux rows?

Third: i often copy tracks/track sounds on the elektrons across tracks. Is it possible to copy and paste a Cirklon track + all note/aux values + instrument data from one track to another?
Thank you :slight_smile:

@PeterHanes could you shed any light on this?

1 Like

Iā€™m still waiting to receive mine later this year, canā€™t wait!

I was going to send you to the cirklon forum: forum.sequentix.com

But i logged in and saw you have already posted thereā€¦ (and received a few responses too!)

Am reading - very useful stuff to know, you should share your experience with the community here :+1::v:ļø

2 Likes

Apologies for not responding to your questions earlier; itā€™s a busy time. More than anything, your questions highlight that Cirklon and Elektron gear are very different things; like translating between two languages, there may be no exact equivalence between the two.

Because the Cirklon is a standalone sequencer, it cannot give the same integration between sequence data and sound engine parameters. The most the Cirklon knows about the instruments it controls is stored as Track Values in its Instrument Definitions. You can save individual (or sets of) Track Values using SAVE on the Track Values page (see page 9-7 of the manual), but the only quick way to get back to a set of stored values is to jump to a new Scene (kind of like changing Pattern on Elektron gear).

[quote=ā€œdave_angel, post:1, topic:40033ā€]is it possible to p-lock track values? Or is it only possible to p-lock parameters assigned in the aux rows?
[/quote]

Aux rows are the only means for storing Track Values on individual steps in P3 patterns.

You can assign any pattern to more than one track, but if you edit the pattern it will be altered in all instances. You can copy steps from one pattern and paste them in another. You can save an existing pattern as another.

You can assign the same instrument to more than one track. See above for saving Track Values by Scene.

The bottom line is that you really need to learn the way of working for each unit: Cirklon and an Elektron sequencer do many of the same things but the underlying designs are very different.

3 Likes

Thank you so much @PeterHanes for taking the time to respond in such detail! Really is appreciated.

I often see you responding to peopleā€™s questions, and would like to thank you, on behalf of everyone for doing so, and helping make this community so great.

Hope youā€™ve had a good weekend!

And sorry for my delay - not had a chance to get back on here after a very busy week.

3 Likes

So, are people using the Cirklon sequencer and not the Elektron sequencer(s), or are we running a kind of hybrid system, with Elektron sequences on some parts (with P-locks) and Cirklon on others?