Cirklon 2 still worth buying now in 2021?

I’m about 18 months into the 3+ years waiting list, but thankfully, have a very generous friend who already reached the top of the queue and has lent me his Mk1 until my Mk2 is ready to ship…

Honestly, you’d have to tear it from my cold dead hands… it’s totally worth the wait.

Cirklon is front and centre and runs everything in the studio now…

8 Likes

The FAQ page says the waiting list is only 18 months so it means you’re next?? Or is the FAQ page out of date…

Your Cirklon will be available for you to buy around 18 months after you join the list.

https://www.sequentix.com/faqs

They’re currently shipping to people who ordered in around June 2017…

The delays are well documented and have been explained on the Cirklon forums a number of times:

Here’s Colin’s summary from the tail end of last year:

There seems to be some misconceptions about waiting times, and the length of this thread makes it impossible to find the relevant details, so I’ll re-cap…

The last original Cirklons were produced in 2018.

These came from our former UK PCB and assembly contractor, who had been doing a great job in the year or so before we relocated to Berlin.

However they simply “couldn’t get the staff” after the disastrous Brexit vote, and were no longer able to meet our standards.

We decided at the end of 2018 we’d take 6 months to develop an updated model while we established new local suppliers.

Development paused at the beginning of 2019, when we were unexpectedly evicted from our office in Kreuzberg.

Cirklon 2 was finally ready for production at the start of this year, just in time for widespread Covid lock-downs in Asia.

Delays to arrivals of components meant production didn’t start until June.

The initial production runs are inevitably slower than the rate we expect to achieve, as we iron out the processes with our assembly guys, and make minor changes to boards.

So… the waiting time of 3+ years for those who have been longest on the list includes at least 18 months extra wait while we went through the development/relocation/global pandemic phase.

By early next year, we expect to be producing units at a sufficiently higher rate than demand, to be able to eliminate the waiting list by the end of the year.

7 Likes

I got on the list last Feb so one year on now. I am working hard to pay down 50k in credit card debt so should have it paid off in 2 years and the Cirklon is my reward…should be about perfect timing.

August 14th 2017 is the latest order that was shipped. They are now processing one month of back orders per month.

So what did you decide? Did you pull the trigger?

It makes me wonder how things go with their waiting list. I.e., if 300 people are on it… how many of them actually go through with the purchase as to deciding against it after waiting so long. Is it 50/50… 75% of people buy… 95% of people buy…

I wish they would at least give you a confirmation mail that you sucessfully subscribed to the waiting list. I don’t even know if I ever put myself onto that list or not…

2 Likes

They absolutely send one. Mine came after a couple days

Title: RE: Form Submission - Cirklon Waiting List Signup - Cirklon waiting list request

3 Likes

I would get a Five12 Vector instead.

3 Likes

yikes.

I ordered my Cirklon in March 2017, and I received it in late July 2020. So that’s almost 7 months I’ve had mine, and they’re now 5 months further into the backlog… :grimacing:

It’s worth it if you get the modular break out, have modular and have a good amount of hardware. Someone disagreed with me when I posted this before and said it’s great with VSTis too (yes it is) but I have made tracks with the Cirklon and honestly if you are mainly ITB, then with Ableton’s new sequencer updates coming out, you pretty much can do 80% of the stuff that the Cirlon can do. Actually 100% or more if you add in the Max 4 Live sequencers available.

Personally I prefer an MPC or an Elektron sequencer, but I do think the Cirklon is one of the most well-built machines I have owned. It just is very expensive and really needs to drive your hardware studio. For $800 I chose an MPC4000, which IMO does more, especially since I can feed it MIDI from Ableton and out into my hardware.

It comes down to personal taste in music and workflow. I am more into the house side of things and I love playing the pads to get ideas. Some people are more into techno and prefer step sequencing instead, so the Cirklon could make a ton of sense.

It’s just important to understand that if you don’t have a sync box in a hybrid system with a Cirklon, all that tightness will be for naught since the DAW will jitter. Plus the DAW’s MIDI can probably do more than the Cirklon can.

That said, if you feed the MIDI from the DAW into the Cirklon to trigger your hardware, you will experience gloriously tight timing (same with a quality MPC as well though).

Really boils down to the music and production style and studio build. For me, I decided it was overkill and not needed, even with a decent amount of hardware.

5 Likes

When I requested to be added to the wait list recently, I received an e-mail message from Barbara the next day.

With that said, I was told that the wait time is about 18 months, which seems highly unlikely based on the comments in this thread.

Yeah, I received mine as well today. Who knows … seems like they are working on improving their productionspeed.

1 Like

I ordered mine in 2016 and have sent an email every 6 months for an update. Today is Sept 1, 2021 - still nothing. 5 years ++

See you all in the “Cirklon 2 still worth buying now in 2026?” thread.

12 Likes

Strange, on the list since 03.11.2017 and I am topping the list since 06.2021.

1 Like

if you signing up, you might as will sign up to buy 3, and flip the 2 to pay for yours.
you have PLENTY of time to save for that day

2 Likes

In 2005 I was and still am lucky owner of a P3 , predecessor of the Circlon. I am still using it a lot. Learning curve is steep but Colin’s sequencing philosophy (accumulators, etc) is so creative and prone to happy accidents. And + side is the P3 makes me feel making music on a cash register from the 80s and that looks awesome in the center of the studio. Many many questions popping from clients on this one :slight_smile:
Circlon is I believe like my P3 but on steroids.
Anyway Colin knows a thing or two about sequencers and even in 2021 the Circlon is still a musical instrument as much as a vintage violin still is. It’s not about the tool it’s about how far you master it.
See you in 2028 for the « Circlon is it worth it in 2028 » thread. I will still have my P3 and will still find it a great tool that I master.

3 Likes

As I posted on another thread here, I added my name to the list in May 2017. In July 2019 I was contacted and offered a V1 from their final stock, or to wait for the V2. I opted to wait. September 2020 I was offered to buy the V2. I wasn’t sure I wanted it tbh. Nine weeks later I decided to buy it. One of the best studio decisions I made.

Far exceeded expectations. Of course knowing you could get your money back/profit made the decision easier. But I can’t imagine ever selling it.

4 Likes