Circuitghost - new EP - All That We Lost

love it

me too. some Pause/Rounds era vibes

2 Likes

@olelovold thank you for saying, I kind of work with stuff along those lines, so it’s nice that it comes through.

@DonovanDwyer truly appreciate that reference and comment, thank you. I’m flattered, for sure :pray:

@Unifono glad to hear it, really appreciate you chiming in and saying so :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really needed to hear something like this today. Thanks so much for sharing. Absolutely lovely sounds on this EP.

1 Like

If the music provided some comfort to you, I’m very happy to hear that. Thanks for sharing and for listening.

1 Like

Really really like this . I’m so glad you’re releasing music. Also looking foward to the “deluxe” remix versions to follow :grinning:

1 Like

Beautiful sounds and a lovely video. I sometimes go back to video’s I made of my son when he was much younger and starting to discover how the world works, all the connections being made and put together for the first time. I try to remember how I first discovered and learned things for myself. That is increasingly difficult as I grow older. I reinvent my past (maybe we all do to some extent?) but I also kind of re-live moments through my son everyday. It’s humbling and incredibly grounding and this is what I just heard listening to your EP.

1 Like

@jasl thank you. Those are some wise and compassionate words, my friend. It is so true, the blessing of children, how they remind you of the world as it was when you were young, and to partly be able to see things that way again. There’s the awareness of knowing all the dark parts about it as well, though, which I guess is what makes the nostalgia vibe even stronger. It’s not such a wonderful place as they make it up to be, but to be able to live in that space and truly believe it is, if only for awhile - and to share that experience with a child.

@Cornish1999 thank you :slight_smile: I actually had a few club mixes going for a short while, but I didn’t quite manage to blend the funk and the melancholia. Tho maybe that’s what I should’ve called it, if I ever released it, the Funk and the Melancholia. And then again, maybe not :slight_smile:

1 Like

Funkacholia ?

1 Like

Working on a follow-up to this EP, or more a continuation actually, with a new set of tracks that will bind the previous ones together into a more coherent and longer piece. Here’s one now, with the usual field recordings, Prophet loops, Chase Bliss processing and stuff going on, all performed from the Blackbox -

7 Likes

Beautiful piece :pray:t3:

Does the compositional process provide peace/calm for you? The music suggests it would… from my own experience it’s not always the case. Always looking for tips to bring zen into what is something I ultimately do for pleasure

1 Like

You know, I appreciate you asking that. Truth be told, I’m not in a great place now. Music gives me pause and helps me go somewhere else, if only for awhile.

4 Likes

Beautiful, almost hymn-like track! The synth sounds almost like a harmonium which takes me back to early Friday mornings in primary school. Didn’t always love those moments but really like this track. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hoping whatever turmoil you’re going through won’t be of long duration!

1 Like

:pray:

It’s actually a pretty soft pad from the Prophet, but I ran it through the Blackbox granulator and this organ-like sound came out. It reminded me of ships leaving their ports of call, so I went for some ice and river as ambience.

2 Likes

Glad that music can be a solace for you. Sending your some love and wishing for the best. You’re doing a good job :heart:

Oooh! This turned out niiice

1 Like

:heart::pray:

Been working on club versions for this EP and its sequel, That Which Remained. It’s early days still, very rough and crude, but I think the idea gets across. I don’t mind your thoughts on this direction -

7 Likes

Hell yeah, dude.

1 Like

Haha, I don’t know, I have my doubts :slight_smile: I’m not great with beats. But it keeps pulling me back, to at least try. I love the process of creating your own drum loops and the Elektron workflow for that kind of stuff, is pretty neat.

Also, I think my EP’s in their original state would be a fairly dull performance, whereas club versions could have that drum thing going for them, combining the atmosphere with subtle beats. I’m not a fan of the Rytm compressor so far and route this straight into the SiX to find the right sound. It’s not working our great so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find this is a very good starting point. Subtle beats on these evolving peaceful atmospheres brings a hypnotically great feeling.
The hardest part may be to bring the good rythmic variations at the right time.
But it’s already the case for example around 1’32", when the ride/charley leaves to give space to this atmosphere that becomes more intimate (hard to explain :slight_smile: ): I love this moment.

I remember some times ago on this forum we spoke about choosing between beats and atmospheres. At some point you can try to let the track takes you where it wanna go. It may leads to good surprises :slight_smile:

Anyway, I can’t wait to hear this full rework album!

1 Like

Thank you, that’s very kind and encouraging of you to say :slight_smile:

I find the more subtle elements work better, but at the same time I do like the presence of some clear and rhythmic elements. Hats and cymbals are my thing, as are toms. I’m less of a clap and snare guy.

I still have my doubts I got it in me to actually pull this off, and I’m not saying that to seek attention or encouragment, I’m actually more than okay with that insight. It’s good to have some self perception of what you’re good at, and not.

With that said, I’m keeping at this for awhile longer, I’m learning stuff which I might use for the next project no matter what it is.

1 Like