Circuitghost - new EP - All That We Lost

Hey all,

I just released a new EP, a sort of closure for myself on many things, musical and others. While it’s brief, it means something to me and I hope it moves you in some way.

Take care, everyone, and stay safe -

55 Likes

I really enjoyed that, Andreas. It went by so quickly, though. I wanted more! :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Thank you for saying and listening, I truly appreciate it :heartpulse: :pray:

It’s ironic, isn’t it? I got hours of music recorded all over the place. And yet, these are the only pieces I felt were good enough to make it into something.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to listen after work!!

1 Like

Gorgeous atmospheres! Love your use of field recordings, i’m a sucker for rain sounds. Really nice soft mixes, is it all recorded to tape?

1 Like

No rush :slight_smile: I always appreciate your opinion, take your time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had the chance to listen to some stuff of your here on Elektronauts, I think it was on the Blackbox thread, but this is better than that, very very good tracks.
Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you so much for saying :slight_smile: no tape, but it is an all hardware production. Mix and master was done through an SSL SiX and recorded to a Zoom H1n. Much of the processing was done by resampling through a few Chase Bliss pedals, and all the tracks were put together in a 1010 Blackbox. The Blackbox filter adds a lot of character to the final mixing for sure.

7 Likes

Thank you, that means a lot to me, for taking the time to listen and saying.

1 Like

Really, beautiful work. Gonna go ahead and let this whole project play on loop for a while.

1 Like

Whoa, lots of music dropping today on the forum. I’m looking forward to this. Cheers and thanks for sharing!

Edit: well, that was every bit as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Very nice production quality too. I often struggle with getting the final level correct for streaming. I should hit you up for tips.

2 Likes

Thank you. I consider that a great compliment to be on your loop, even if it’s just for a while :pray:

1 Like

Really beautiful, lovely stuff!
Listened to it first just through my phone but just listened via headphones and love it even more.

1 Like

Purchased. Would’ve purchased simply to pay back for all that you contribute to this forum. The music being great certainly helps! Title track is my favourite. Is it yours as well?

1 Like

Thank you, that is very nice of you to say. I’m surprised myself how well it translates to just phone speakers, actually, but headphones is the better experience, as always. I appreciate you listening to it both ways. Thank you so much.

1 Like

You truly are a generous and compassionate person for saying so. I do enjoy my stay here, so I guess it shows. Interesting question, it’s the one that moves me the most, for sure, but the loop in the Rain has a certain push and pull between melancholia and almost naive, uplifting spirits which I tried to develop more with a bass, pads and stuff. But the simplicity of it got lost every time I tried, so I just stopped and let it be.

1 Like

Yay! Nice one @circuitghost. Looking forward to listening to this.

It always nice to finish a project. Sounds like a lot of emotion went into this project and judging by the comments it sounds like that has transpired in this EP.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: yes, not to be overly sentimental, but there is this growing feeling of just being kind of lonely, which has been with me since I lost my parents. It’s that last bond to a place in time where someone knew you in a way no one else ever will, and when it’s cut, you become aware that you’re on your own, in a kind of existential way. Letting go is essential, though, or else you’ll get stuck with a longing which can never be met. It comes down to acceptance. But even with acceptance, the feelings remain. You just have to be okay with that, I guess.

9 Likes

Absolutely lovely! Worn and the title track were my favourites. Love the production as well. There’s a gorgeous warmth and clarity there.

Are the synth sounds coming from your P12 or is it a mishmash of patterns and loops from different synths you’ve gone through in the recent years?

1 Like

Thank you, it makes me happy you took the time to listen and to say something. It is much appreciated.

All synth sounds are from the Prophet 12 only, though some of them have gone through a lot after recording :slight_smile: if I’d break it down, it’d be something like this -
the Long Walk’s pad is actually a sequence from the Prophet 12, which I recorded, pitched down and then ran through the Blackbox granulator. And the drone bass kind of thing, is a string from the Prophet 12 which I ran through a Chase Bliss Mood, and then play as a one shot sample from the Blackbox.

the Lullaby recurring sequence is a bi-timbral patch I made in the Prophet 12. It’s as is, not processed at all except for some Blackbox filtering, and pitched down half an octave after recording. The pad is the same sequence reversed and resampled through a Chase Bliss Tonal Recall RKE.

Worn is just a simple electric piano patch from the Prophet 12, which I played live a few times until I felt I had enough material to use. I processed the result real time through a Chase Bliss generation loss. The reverse pad you hear is the same sequence but played in major instead of minor, and processed the same way. The odd blips and blops that arrive in the end, are captured Prophet 12 sequences from a Chase Bliss Mood.

the Rain is the same electric piano sound, but sequenced with lots of chance and probability from the Deluge and then processed through the Chase Bliss Generation Loss and Tonal Recall RKE. I might’ve overdone it there a little. The second layer of odd sequence in the end is captured from the same Chase Bliss Mood session as the previous track.

All That We Lost, the lead is a home-brewed Prophet 12 patch which I recorded and then pitched down one octave to play back at half speed. No processing on that one, except for slight Blackbox filtering. The pad is the same as the one from the opening track, but with slightly different granular settings for variaton.

Whew, long answer, but I just had coffee so there you go. Thanks for listening :pray:

7 Likes