Chicago Nauts Unite!

This one looks promising:

https://www.thebloxoffice.com/events/898

2 Likes

An old co-worker of mine just sent me this flyer for a DIY show he’s hosting at his place.

Ronin is doing a tape release, and Caro Arroba will be performing a modular set.

5 Likes

@thesimplemachine

I really appreciate you sharing these events!

I would love to go to that one, but I got tickets to Snarky Puppy!

I got tickets to the one before it though.

1 Like

No problem! I’ve always got my ear to the ground looking for live hardware shows.

That Heavensware one sounds interesting but I’m already seeing Yo La Tengo that night. Looks like it’s the fourth one in a series though so I’m guessing there will be another one eventually.

1 Like

They just expecting people to show up? This is nearby, might check it out

1 Like

nice, less than a mile from me! i’m in bucktown off fullerton and western. also looking to perform live hardware/modular sets

edit - same night as luke vibert though 🫣

1 Like

Yeah, it’s an open invitation. I asked permission to post here and he said “The more the merrier.”

2 Likes

I finally obtained a Chicago Library Card.

In addition to the usual books and stuff, a number of library branches have well equipped Maker Labs with 3D printers and laser cutters. Perfect for making synth stands!

5 Likes

this is great to know :pray:t3: might have to hit that up for my diy serge case

2 Likes

Nobody tell NASCAR that they can place tents at locations near the course with no view of the track and sell tickets to an all-day drone concert.

3 Likes

Definitely good to know! My daughter has gotten really into 3D printing in her classroom so it’s cool that she can have access in the summer.

2 Likes

Empty Bottle and Żłob Modular are hosting a Modular Synth Meet on April 15th at noon.

These are the only details I could find: Chicago Modular Synth Meet in Chicago at Empty Bottle

I don’t have enough money or time to get into modular, but looks like it could be a fun event.

Edit: almost forgot to post a reminder. Hot on the Heels is coming up again the first Tuesday of April at California Clipper. Two live sets from Rottweiler (aka Club Music, Death Valley) and Concrete Hitter. They both make crazy, heavy acid/techno. I’m definitely not missing this one.

4 Likes

Do you have a link to this? I’m free and would love to hear some acid. I couldn’t find the show.

I found the one from March. I take it it’s at 9pm?

The only official announcement was this instagram story, posted last Tuesday.

I’m assuming it will be 9pm to 1am again, but I’ll keep an eye out and post an update here if something more official pops up before then.

1 Like

Cool. I went back to school later in life, and it’s Spring Break at City Colleges.

I’m doing nothing but making music this week. Going to the show will give me some great inspiration!

Plus, NI just dropped a new vst called Utopia. It’s got a great acid preset that I can’t wait to use.

Thank you by the way!

2 Likes

Of course! Doing my best to keep some activity on this thread.

Did you end up going to that Heavensware show? I’ve been curious to hear how it was.

1 Like

I had midterms. I bought a ticket, but had to skip to finish coding a website.

I was on the fence, but after I skipped it and got the project done, I knew I made the right call.

2 Likes

Ah, bummer, but good on you for being responsible. One of the benefits of pursuing a degree as an adult (I also took a long break before I ended up going to college/grad school starting toward the end of my 20s).

But it looks like the label who hosts those, NFC Records, is very active. They’ve put on four of these all-hardware, live shows in the last 12 months, so I’m sure there will be another one soon enough.

2 Likes

I’m curious. Do any of you Chicago peeps know Rob Ellis, aka Robot Man Machine?

At least I supported the event by buying a ticket!

I’m actually dropping out of this degree program. The Professional is giving me a real hard time, and it’s causing me unnecessary anxiety. That’s not good for a disabled veteran with PTSD. I’m only staying in this semester so I can finish what I started, and also because I have the GI Bill as funding and would have to pay that back.

It’s sucks because I’m 70% done with the degree. But I realized that I have to leave if I’m being treated like shit even though I already earned a Fine Arts Associate’s AND I’m high honors. I tried talking to her about it and she argued with me.

Oh well. Time to move on.

It’s actually good though. I’m changing my degree path to a Professional Certificate in Music Technology through CCC.

So next semester I’m taking a bunch of theory classes, and a group piano class, plus a class on arranging.

2 Likes