Chase Bliss Habit

I’d say it’s not an issue at all (Mono). There’s so much going on in here, I haven’t thought too much about it being in mono. Early days, though.

I really think it’s a pity. I really like Stereo delays and habit would have so many ways to utilize stereo : (

2 Likes

These kind of funky boxes tend to bring you south very quickly when they’re in stereo. I’m happy it’s not.

And I don’t even got mine yet :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah this ad is really what I think about chase bliss pedal - it like a party with really lame people… you never know what to expect, but the pedal looks nice at least… I tried the blooper and the MOOD and both of them was like mostly sounding like nice reverberative vomit… but nice vomit… whatever I used it with…

Well to make them sound nice it typically requires that you put something nice through them first :wink:

There are exceptions to this though. It’s possible to find awesome sounds haphazardly. Maybe you just need to figure out how to work with them?

1 Like

you have a way with words and I enjoy it immensely :grin:
but surely the Habit has a bright side too?

All my favourite non-electronic instruments only work in mono, so don’t see it as a shortcoming.

A stereo effect in post can easily expand it if needed.

1 Like

Yeah there is definitely a learning curve to their tools and this is completely subjective of course. It’s more of a ‘I really want to love their pedals’ and then a major WTF is that? I THINK you can end up creating a predictable result on the mood and blooper but the energy needed to learn the tool didn’t seems to balanced out with the outcome.

Searching the latest video on youtube:

at the end, you still end up with the similar smoosh swooshi swish sound… then again a video from a few more days:

Anyway, I really wanted to love their product, maybe I’m just not cut for their pedal.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t know, kind of almost? I mostly watch Hainbach video on the habit… and like wooosh, kyoosh poosh!! I know probably not the best example :smiley:

1 Like

It took me quite some time to get the Mood into places where it didn’t sound like everything else. Once you find it, though, it really spits out the most unique stuff.

Blooper is more predictable. It really is just a looper with some funky effects and an interesting workflow for building on the recordings and imprinting fx to create something with more coherence. But I never attached to it.

No idea where the Habit’s gonna take me. But I got the Prophet 12 fired up and waiting to go there with me.

1 Like

when you use fx just for the sake of the effect itself it will always become stale and useless no matter what it is, but when we start to learn the glitch fx for the sake of the song like we have for standard delays, reverbs, and distortions then they won’t seem so gimmicky

2 Likes

Just got my Habit (ordered the morning it was announced). I’m not much for manuals, though I adore the cute one this pedal came with. I recorded little bits of whistling, tambourine and melodica through it and was very pleased with the results. It seemed to respond dynamically- is that the ramp knob? No idea.

I really liked the uncolored delay sound, reminds me of the old Digitech pedals from the 90s.

I’m sick of the granular confetti sounds that every new pedal seems to make, and I had a few silent gag moments in my first hour of dumbfounded fumbling, but I think this is a pedal that rewards patience.

Also- always be recording. I’m very glad I was from the moment I clicked the pedal on.

2 Likes

That’s true, although I would argue that if one was to modulate the effects with ramping or with something external, it can go to some really wild places that are on par with the best of them. I mostly use my chase bliss pedals for creating interesting samples though, so my expectations might be different from the average user.

But to bring it back OT, the Habit looks like it was made for someone like me-someone who likes to noodle around and discover interesting sounds along the way.

Maybe i’m wrong, but it seems less useful for the average guitarist performing in a band.

Do folks with Habits know of a way to lock in a loop and stop to continuing piling on of new material? Is that possible or is the whole point for it to never stop growing if you’re playing?

I think when it’s not in Collect mode, it doesn’t actually record anything but just applies its gazillion ways of delay on the looping content.

So a guess would be to turn off Collect mode? Though I don’t know. Just got mine, still trying to figure it out :slight_smile: easy enough to learn, but to get something useful out of it beyond really nice delays (which it’s great at), not quite happening on my end yet.

Not possible I’m afraid. I would also love midi commands for input level as well as feedback level for both the buffer and the delay!

1 Like

it took me longer than i care to admit that this topic title is the name of the pedal and not a support group for folks addicted to buying pedals.

6 Likes

You can set repeats fully clockwise or hold down the right stomp switch to lock in a loop of an echo (ie loop length is set by the size control which can go up to 60seconds). When you’ve got an echo looping that will also be recorded into the buffer btw. The memory buffer is always a fixed thing which works in two different modes. The default is the buffer has the last three minutes of your playing in it, with stuff you played before that being overwrittten by newer material. With the collect dipswitch down, you have a three minute loop recording that gets overdubbed every three minutes.

I’d say that if you want something to do classic record loop/overdub stuff without being tied to the three minute length, Habit’s the wrong pedal. I’d either complement with an additional loop pedal to capture stuff, or (if you want a similar feature set to the Habit but easier looping possibilities) instead get a Blooper and use it as a delay (I posted a bit about doing this earlier in the thread but lots of info online). When you want to lock in a loop on Blooper while using it as a delay, you just turn repeats fully clockwise and your loop is locked in and you can overdub etc. When you want to go back to delay, you turn repeats back down again.

3 Likes

I want this thang even tho it’s ugly af.
Is this thing lending itself to ambient prettiness if I run some prerecorded ambient loops through it? Or is it gonna be an “experimental” hideous mess. Trying to decide btw this and the new Space Echo for my ambient lofi

1 Like

A bunch of the modifiers are hard to make sound ugly: the stepped pitch is all fifths and octaves so it always sounds harmonic with input. The ‘stability’ modifier (tape emulation with wow and flutter) will be good for lofi. A smidge of the smooth speed (smooth pitch change up to two octaves, in forward or reverse) will be nice chorus-y goodness or an interesting reverse delay. Filter is a filter, can give you nice fading echos.

If what you’re putting into it over three minutes is stable in key, the bits of the buffer coming through via auto-scan and the spread control will be harmonious with what you’re playing - if not, you can get some clashes. Things are also less or more bonkers based on the routing you select for the pedal: if you set it to In, your echo goes through the modifier, then that modified echo goes through the modifier again, etc, which can sound pretty bonkers (and possibly a “hideous mess” depending on taste). If you set it to Out you won’t get this accumulation and it’s pretty tame. If you set it to Feed, everything that the pedal is doing is getting recorded to the buffer and is then sporadically coming out of the buffer together with what you’re doing, which can get pretty bonkers too.

It’s really about what you do with it, you can go hard or tame depending on taste. If the modifiers and/or the memory buffer don’t excite you, there’s little point getting this pedal vs another delay though.

6 Likes