Chase Bliss Habit

hmmm I did not know this of this experimental delay mode, don’t know if I entirley understand your explanation haha, but it sounds good!

The problem is this Chase Bliss habit means were getting a lot of folk sounding the same. That knobs guy from youtube sound i mean.

2 Likes

perhaps. but doesnt that apply to all gear?

Let’s create a Genre called Habit Ambient then.

Hambient?

10 Likes

Haha, this might help a bit Using Chase Bliss Blooper Dry Kill Switch to Get Real Time Effects - YouTube

To use it as a delay instead of a live effect, do the exact same thing but without dry kill on, and at the start when you hit record twice do it with a bit of a gap between hits to ‘set’ the delay time. Voila, your Blooper is now (half of) a budget Habit as well :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

thanks! will try it out

Man, I’m very ignorant regarding those crazy(ish) loop pedals, but I’m really enjoying what I hear from CB Habit.

Are there other pedals like it in terms of functionality? Is there any real “competitor”?

I know Mood and Blooper, but they don’t seem to be much similar. Are they?

Biggest competitor is Microcosm by Hologram. Really amazing pedal and in stereo :heart_eyes:

In the creative early production process I really like mono.

Stereo can be ear candy but it’s challenging unless you are designing the end mix.

Apart from Def Leppard and Backstreet Boys, excessive reliance on stereo can hinder good composition.

7 Likes

Oh, you’re right. I forgot Microcosm.

But it seems to be a less focused pedal, with a lot of different modes, while Habit is more dedicated to some few things.

Edit: But it would be nice if someone could make a detailed comparison of those two.

1 Like

maybe this is OT… maybe not…?

yesterday I randomly ran into Vladislav Delay’s (aka Sasu Ripatti) Twitter, including a pic of the live setup he used for some Ripatti shows last year. given his propensity for noise and sampling, I’m not too surprised at it. he seems to love pedals of this ilk. maybe something to think about for those that say “all these people buying Chase Bliss just means they all sound alike.” because likely none of you sound like that dude.

(and a sixteen channel mixer between these two)

7 Likes

I love that recent Ripatti record! so surprised to see the make-up of the live-set though - something about it felt very in-the-box - no sass, incredible (and very fun) piece of work.

Not to stray further off track: I’d add that I own CBA Mood & Microcosm: while potentially similar on paper, in bullet-point specifications (and on Internet forums), they are incredibly different in use, application and in end-result.

2 Likes

it may be more in-the-box than his older stuff. he apparently sold a bunch of his (insane) gear a few years back, while taking some time off of music. he still had quite a few pedals around though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the above were incorporated on that Ripatti record. or maybe they’re just for live…

3 Likes

Well I’m not sure this is worth sharing… Been a hell of a week and not the best of head spaces to do much, but I’ve managed to make 7 mins of, ah, ambiance? Its a little hard to work out how to get any structure going, but that could be my own mind right now in fairness… Its fun to play the pedal after recording a bunch into it.

17 Likes

Sounds lovely Bruce! The joy of a new toy :grinning:

1 Like

Sounds great! Can you describe how you made the piece - are you manipulating any knobs in real time or just recording the build up? Sounds like flippertronics :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very jelly! I ordered mine from CB directly and it still hasn’t even shipped :grimacing:

Great track, btw!

1 Like

I don’t really find Microcosm to be at all like any of these CBA pedals personally. It’s more like a series of loosely-rhythmic spatial effects, decorating your sound with lots of twinkly, granular, reverb-y goodness. You can record loops into it, but the looping is a bit of an afterthought, and the interaction between loops and the effects is fairly clunky/minimal: you can record a loop, then switch the signal routing with a button combo so the loop gets processed by the effects, almost all of which don’t mangle the audio that much. It’s not quite as simple or as impactful of imprinting the Blooper’s effects on a loop. Mood just has a very different character completely, and is more about capturing a tiny snippet of audio and tearing it inside out. And Microcosm doesn’t really work well as a delay, so quite different to the Habit.

I think the closest competition, though very difficult to get hold of due to the limited number of units, is the Glou Glou Loupe https://glou-glou.org/loupe/. It does a bunch of things Blooper does, eg. recording loops, imprinting high quality effects on them, usable for frippertronics or as an experimental delay. BUT: it’s also stereo, has an undo button that reaches ridiculously far back and has a bunch of controls to freely contract and expand the length of loops, similar to an Echoplex EDP. It also does something very similar to Habit: you have a “scroll” knob that you can use to go back through the memory to revisit stuff that got recorded into the pedal before your current loop You can freely roam around in that buffer and even record yourself scrolling around the memory into a new loop.

As for the Mood, I’ve yet to find anything really comparable, I think it’s totally unique. Every single one of these pedals is great in its own way though, even if the Blooper’s slipped down the league tables for me since I got the Loupe, which genuinely feels like a strict upgrade.

4 Likes

Thank you Robin! :black_heart: that’s very kind of you

Thank you!

I’ll try….

Short Loop that continues the whole way through was made by playing a synth into the Habit and then scanning the memory and adding bit into the delay by setting the repeats to max. Seems like one of the things it’s really nice for - you sort of get something new from lots of little bits of old. Sampled that into Ableton and looped it in the background

Prophet into Habit is one track, I think I played into it for 3-4 mins and then played the pedal and adjusted its modifiers etc.

Piano track was much the same - sent the audio out to the pedals in real-time so could adjust things here and there as I played, then played the pedal for 3 mins I guess.

Guitar track through pedals again. Same as above but only two hands limits interaction with the Habit whilst playing

In fairness, there’s lots of other pedals in the chain that have been tuned on for little bits and off again, so not the best representation of the Habit I guess

It feels like something you can get lost in and let it go where it goes, but like the Soma Cosmos I guess.

If you go as a straight delay, not using the scan and spread, it’s got some really nice options and sounds good to my ears.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes