Chase Bliss Habit

Totally agree with some posts here that this seems to put the blooper in the shadow for me.
I didnt really like the fact that you have to record a loop to use the modifiers on the blooper. I prefer the happy accident vibe the mood has, and this has it too, but then with the modifiers from blooper! and is has temposync over midi right? (this I miss in MOOD)

1 Like

I know right? Lovin’ it too :slightly_smiling_face:

Great Collection.

1 Like

The manual and MIDI manual indicate that it receives clock!

Going to be a fuuuuuun toy.

Could we replicate the pedal with OT?

3 Likes

I’d say that the OT could probably cover a lot of what this pedal can do. In fact, I had that thought during my “cold feet” period. That is “I already have an OT, so I don’t need this pedal.” But, my birthday is coming up, so I’ll give it a go.

1 Like

I think there is something to say about UI as Well. Even If OT can do it, its way more Cumbersome ( some of the functions atleast) so just having that workflow streamlined is a high gain

2 Likes

This pedal looks incredible for ambient noodlings.

Be interesting to see if you guys can coax anything musical out of it.

I imagine similar to Mood, you’ll want to “always record” on the end of your chain so you can grab those happy accidents for later use.

2 Likes

Yes, too bad it’s mono though : (

1 Like

watching these videos made me feel old for some reason

4 Likes

I’ve been meaning to try to do the trippy delay-pitch-shiftery-mangly-LFO thing with my Octatrack lately. Must be possible with 8 channels to resample each other etc…

1 Like

The 3 minute loop + all the manipulation on this feels like the actual focused idea of the teenage engineering ob4s recorder thing. I love the idea of plucking and manipulating sounds out of an endless recording.

but is it a locked time of 3 min, or is the amount of loop time user definable?

This was one of my first questions, and as far as I can tell there is no user-triggerable loop end event. You can trim the loop in with one of the modifiers, but it doesn’t seem really useful as a way to trigger the end of the a loop like you would on a conventional looper. I really racked my brain to think of why they wouldn’t want to make it possible to end a loop arbitrarily, and I think it comes back to the idea of having it set to some knob positions, starting to play something and then just letting each full loop influence what you start to play, repeating ad-nauseum. Which makes sense re: @metalfalcon’s suggestion that it’s a practical application of OB4’s endless recording buffer thing.

The memory buffer is always 3 minutes, but that doesn’t mean you need to access the full buffer. If you ignore the scan control, the size control lets you set the delay from ms to 1 minute—so that’s your loop size. The scan control lets you decide on how far to reach back into the buffer—so it could be 2 minutes, and everything older gets ignored. Setting the position of first playback head via scan and the 2nd via spread, plus the delay size defines the loop size. It looks like the only setting that’s always dependent on the full 3 min buffer size is collect, where the buffer starts overdubbing when it’s full.

5 Likes

I see, interesting design…

1 Like

Yeah, it looks brilliant. I’ve been studying the manual and the signal flow diagram is super helpful.

3 Likes

You can play some tricks to use the modifiers ‘live’ on Blooper, but it’s pretty rigid once you’ve set it up. Basically you can use the Blooper as an experimental delay by recording an empty loop that’s the length of your desired delay time and then setting repeats low and leaving it on overdub. Then you can fiddle with the modifiers to get your desired effect on your echos. The nifty trick is to make that empty initial loop as short as humanly possible, and you can basically play into the modifiers directly.

This whole technique is just obliterated by the Habit though, which is basically designed around this use case from the ground up. Nicest thing about that is you’re not ‘trapped’ with the delay time you initially set using the Blooper method - you can freely manipulate the delay time on Habit and I’m imagining you can do some bonkers stuff by modulating that in combo with modifiers. I’m eagerly awaiting the arrival of mine now :smiley:

1 Like

I have the mood and blooper and the habit came yesterday. I love all 3 and they all have their place. They’re also just so fun!!