Changing projects without silence? (looper)

Hi there,

I have tried to use a MIDI sync’ed looper to record the last part of my song and to have that play during my project change - instead of the usual 10 second silence during loading.

I have not been able to find one single looper that does this correctly.

The latest, Pigtronix Infinity, cannot play during the 10 second silence because there is no MIDI signal sent during this period. The TC Ditto 4x can do this, but the loop is not unity gain if you want the decay enabled (I do need this). The EHX 2880 drifts in tempo and pitch. A new 45000 arrived broken. The Boss RC-202 impacts the sound negatively.

Can you please let me know if you know a looper or method that does work? I have tried around 7…

Thanks!

Best regards,
Alexander

I had Rc 50, Rc 300, Rc 505, Kp3.
I’m still with Octatrack.

What gear do you have for your projects ?
You want a slaved looper ?
Rc 505 worked pretty well for me. Rc 202 is almost the same. Sound wasn’t that bad. Maybe you should disable Timestretch on it, or make it master…

I don’t even midi the Kp3 so it doesn’t know I stopped the clock.

1 Like

Or I suppose you could make the looped the clock master and do a careful stop start or fade.

Thanks for the response.

It needs to be MIDI sync’ed, or the beat is screwed.

RC202 does something to the sound and it does not have input gain adjustment, so it’s out.

I would use anything that could just loop it properly…

Been using the kp3 for years, not sure how accurate programming another box to loop would be vs just doing it manually. Never had any issues with doing it on the kp3 manually. I could get like a 404 and just trigger an already made loop as well.

I have never thought about the KP3. I will take a look - thanks!

If anyone has a footswitchable (handsfree) solution, I would love to hear it.

Yeah, the KP3 just loops so it doesn’t matter when you start the loop. There’s a firmware update that adds two loop modes that help with a minor drift issue. If you do find that the timing is a problem, I add some effects to blur the transition a little and it works out. Gives it a cool loose live feel.

1 Like

I’ve heard it might have some issues with MIDI syncing?

I am not sure there is a looper solution to my problem…

1 Like

I use kp3+ with no issues.

Also, the Roland scooper is cool for quick transitional looping and fx fuckery.

Ehx 45000 looper is still on a dream list of mine. It has foot control options.

I’ve recently picked up a RC-505; but less for using for switching Projects mid set; and more for grabbing / mangling loops on the fly; so can’t offer too much (if any) advice there.

As an aside; have you looked into the option of using a single Project for a live set?

And treating each Bank as a seperate Song?

That is what a lot of cats (including me) do.

Thanks Plum, I will look into them.

Rusty, thanks. I would like to keep each song separate because they are each using different parameters in aspects like the Master and in the Mixer.

Fair enough / good reason.

I’d suggest having a look at the Boss RC-505 (Despite your negative experience with the RC-202); and also a Korg Kaoss Pad 3; these seem to be the popular options; but some more experienced cats here would probably be able to advise better then me.

The RC505 is too big unfortunately, I only want one loop. I wish the RC202 was just a smaller exact version…

I am looking into the KP3 and am looking forward to hearing all suggestions :slight_smile:

KP3:

I cannot find any proper Youtube tutorial showing how to record a loop.
Just one guy using it as a footpedal :confused:

How many button presses are required to get a 4 bar loop going?

1 Like

Thanks, I just want to press a button and then press another button and be done with it though…
The Ditto 4x is 90% there… I might reorder it to see…

For whatever it worth, the KP3 has more headroom than the KP3+
It very easy to clip the signal on a KP3+

Have you tried any of the Electro Harmonix loopers?

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, the 2880 does not work for this and a 45000 arrived broken (new).

Update: Realized the unity gain thing on Ditto 4x might work (support contacted me). Reordered it, but I’d love to hear more solutions :slight_smile:

I used to use KP3. Works perfect.
unfortunately I broke my KP3, used it way too much…

transition with digitakt

This is a result of some songs… it is not. very good… but shows the potential of the song transition

2 Likes