Change preset thru program ch

Isn’t there a way to change digitone preset thru mpc program channel? I could have sworn it was working for me but now when I change program channel, it does nothing.

do you mean change patch?

Yea. And also, is there a way to keep the scale and chord settings while doing so?

Also, can’t I have two or more digitone tracks being controlled individually by the hosts tracks(mpc one)?

I’d start by making sure that you have receive program change enabled in the midi config part of the settings menu under sync, it’s on page 71 of the user manual under 14.5.1 sync. Check that out first and everything else should fall into place.

but figure out what exactly you’re trying to do first, whether you want the same pattern played using a different patch, or whether you want to change the pattern and have that set with a different patch. If you are dealing with patterns on the digitone, you will want to set scale and chord settings ahead of time. All 4 digitone tracks can be controlled individually by midi channels 1-4 corresponding with the track numbers so if you use the mpc midi channel 1 to sequence digitone track 1 and mpc midi channel 3 to sequence digitone track 3 that will work as long as you set it up correctly. Just look through the manual, all the specifics are in there. Also the midi implementation chart is on page 95 and forward so that should help also.

you could set them to whatever midi channel you want though, in the channels part of the midi config menu, I’m just using 1-4 which is default as an expample. set it however works for your use.

1 Like

Thanks my brotha. That pretty much answers it for me. I will get to reading that manual tonight. I seem to have gotten it somewhat stable at the moment. It seems like I have to have the track set to the auto channel in order to select patches via mpc. The only problem now is that when I change the patch, it changes it for the other digitone track that I already had set up how I wanted it. Also, sometimes it engages midi tracks within the digitone. I’ll have to refer to the manual to get all this ironed out. Thanks for setting me on the right path tho.

Also, I meant that I had my midi notes laid out in the mpc and was wanting two different digitone tracks to be playing two different midi sequences from within the mpc independently. And I take it that whatever keyboard/scale/chord settings that are engaged will be changed to default or whatever that patch is every time I change it. Thanks again bro. That does help a lot.

All good man. Just in the details now. Mpc should be able to send up to 4 different sequences, one to each of the 4 tracks on DN. it’s both polyphonic and multitimbral so each track can do it’s own thing. I think if it’s changing more than one track you will have to go into the midi track parameters source (SRC) page to update the settings for the tracks you’re using. It’s this one

you can peep it out on page 57 if it isn’t making sense on the hardware, you have to press and hold function then press the encoder for the parameter you want to set, then use the encoder to dial it in.

Good luck lemme know how that works out for u.

1 Like

Is that for one track or is that the settings for all tracks 1-4 plus auto track?

wait hold on I’m thinking too far in the other direction. you are controlling dn with the mpc.

just set them from the channels page in the midi config. Set the channel to whatever the mpc channel is for that track and then make sure program change is enabled.

autochannel selects the MIDI channel that gives access to the currently active track.

the src page will only matter if DN is controlling the mpc, sorry I was on autopilot haha.

2 Likes

Can you even set a patch on a DN track with a programme change? All the other Elektrons use programme change to set the Pattern. As I understand it, if you want to change patch on a track, you have to use multiple Patterns, pre-configured with the different sound/kit combinations you want.

I don’t have a DN, so maybe that one’s special.

You’re correct that it’s going to need to be done with patterns like I said about inputting scale and chord settings ahead of time. They’ll basically be blank patterns with his patch settings. He said he has the notes laid out on the mpc sequencer so it should do what he wants. I found another digitone thread where the gear is a little different but it’s the same:

I apologize to the op though if I wasn’t clear enough about what you’re actually doing to change the patch. You can do it, but you do have to set up your desired patch / scale / chord ahead of time and then use the pc message to switch patch as if it was a pattern. (or switch pattern as if it was a patch? sorry I know it’s more confusing to try and explain it this way. hopefully that still makes sense).

2 Likes

Hey its good my dude. U helped a ton. Now I’m just stuck at where if I’m controlling 2 or more digitone tracks via mpc, both tracks will change when I try to change the patch from the mpc. And in order for me to change patches, I have to set it to the autotrack on mpc, but like I said, that changes shit in both the digitone tracks.and that’s normally when I already have the first one set up as I wanted, so I’ll have to go back into digitone and dig to find the patch and settings I was already using. Kind of annoying at the moment. I’ve settled for just one digitone track in my beats for the time being. But thank you again for all you’ve taught me. It’s helped a shit ton.

I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking but I can tell you that sometimes when i change the patch via mpc, it will bring up seemingly random patterns in the mpc when I’m not even creating notes within the digitone itself. Like the other guy said, I’m creating sequences in the mpc and using the digitones patches to be the instrument in a few of them. Most of it is from the mpc’s own instruments and plugins.

I think this is where you’ll have to plan it out so for example for your first patch track 1 lets say and second patch track 2, you will want to set pattern 2 / track 1 with the new patch you wish to change to (if that’s the patch you want to change) but set pattern 2 / track 2 to the same patch. You’ll do this just by copy pasting them to the second pattern. That way the second track will stay in the same sound set after you send the PC. This is why I was worried when I realized I didn’t really explain that part.

I think you are just one step away from getting it, the patch will change but it’s because you’ve set a blank pattern with only your patch / scale / chord settings and no note data, all note data is coming from the MPC.

If you set the channels in the settings midi config channels to line up with the channels the mpc is sending on, I don’t think you’ll have to rely on the autochannel for the pc. Did you see what peterhanes was talking about in that other thread?

he says:

So it appears I have been operating from out* of the default projects folder and thats why sometimes I noticed I had prog. Ch. Capabilites at some points and then it was just gone. So I didn’t catch that pretty much all settings including all the routing and midi settings are saved to each project. So the settings are somehow configured in the demo project, minus prog. Ch. In box selected.

And it looks like I’m changing the pattern, not the patch. At least I think so. At one point, I did have it actually scrolling thru the drive. I think this is part of what the other guy was trying to tell me. If I get it back exactly how I had it scrolling thru the drive, I will report back. Me not realizing that it was opening inside of the same project explains why the settings were seemingly coming and going. Its not even that important of a function for me anymore. Just figured yall might want to know what was going on.

1 Like

You got it right now, it’s just that’s how the elektron machines do it. But if you look back to how you were feeling confused then, up til now where you’re putting things together and it’s making sense, even figuring out what you were doing wrong, just shows how far you’ve come in understanding the machine. And since you only scratched the surface so far, just goes to show how deep digitone is. You should be able to get your money back out of this purchase many times over.

3 Likes

Yes sir. I’m shocked at how quickly I was able to put that swing onto the track with the digitone. I absolutely forsee this guy paying itself off real soon. And its nice knowing ive only scratching the surface at this point. Very optimistic at where I stand right now tho.

1 Like

I’m tellin you, once you figure out how to put an LFO on a hihat or a snare and get a nice human sounding rhythmic modulation out of it you’re gonna be doing it all the time lol

1 Like

Word. I’ll try that out tonight. I had the heats lfo putting in work a while back. I’m sure it’s gonna be super dope on the digi.

1 Like

yup try the random lfo shape aimed at amp decay length on a hi hat and mess with the parameters til you get a swing that you like going.

1 Like