Digitone receive Program Change - solved

Hi,

I am trying to get my Digitone to respond to a program change. Whether that’s a complete change of Bank and Pattern, or just tones A:000 to D:128 within a Pattern - I don’t know yet, because I haven’t had it respond to anything so don’t know the limitations. Changing sounds within the same pattern would be good, changing Patterns altogether would be handy as well.

My Controller keyboard needs to know what the Midi Bank MSB and Midi Bank LSB are and then define a Midi Program Number.

Hours of googling have not helped and it may be my lack of knowledge … but neither has the midi implementation chart - it seems to deal with everything but program changes. Is it not implemented? (if so why is there a parameter to turn it on?)

So … what are the Midi Bank MSB and Midi Bank LSB I need to use to get it to respond?

Program changes sent to the digitone will make it change patterns. It functions under the following, pc1 equals pattern a1, pc2 equals pattern a2, And so forth.

Thanks Jefones.
That’s one parameter - the actual PC - just need 2 more … the MSB and LSB.

You only need to send the pc for it to change patterns. If I recall correctly you may have to send the pc on the digitone autochannel.

Just a tick - trying that now

no luck… Master keyboard is a MODX, and before you say "Why? you already have a big FM Engine … it’s because I want to! :slight_smile:

You want to send a Program Change, not a Bank Select message btw…if you still need the MSB / LSB, then the MSB should always be 0 and the LSB is what pattern you want to load I believe

Nailed it … Thanks for all your help Jeff and Mekohler.

On the Digitone, under Settings --> Midi Config --> Sync -->Program Ch Receive, it was switched off.

Also confirming jefones response that:

• MSB and LSB don’t matter
  • Program Change needs to be sent on the Digitone Autochannel
  • Program Change will change Patterns

Thanks again. MKA

1 Like

Glad you got it working!

As far as I know, this is not strictly correct. Program Change messages from another device need to be sent on whichever channel has been chosen for PROG CH IN CH; it needn’t be the Autochannel.

On the digi boxes if a specific channel is not set for program change it defaults to auto which is the auto channel.

From the manual:
“PROGRAM CHG IN CH selects the MIDI channel that will listen for incoming program change mes- sages. An AUTO setting will use the AUTO channel. Enable Digitakt to respond to program change messages in the MIDI SYNC menu. For more information, please see “15.3.1 SYNC” on page 60.”

Hi all,
Managed to have DT changing Patterns from DT itself. like a Pseudo Song Mode.

I am doing a midi loop back (physical) and sending on Auto Channel (14) the Program Change as Parameter lock on one of the Midi machine.

MIDI G set to CH 14 and PLock sending next patter number and so on…

Beautifull!

Marcelo.

1 Like

Hello,
When I send a program change, the result is not immediate. Digitone changes patterns on the next pattern page? The next whole note? Not sure.

Is there documentation for this behavior? It seems like the strategy for using program change would be to send it at the end of pattern X right before going to pattern Y, but not at the beginning of pattern X. Is that generally correct?

Seems to me I can use an old hardware sequencer with “song mode” to sync the Digitone to a “song” this way.

Thanks,

Ben

What device are you using to send the Program Change message?

I’m sending a program change message at the beginning of a pattern using an old Yamaha QY70.
It changes, but not immediately.

Elektron’s implementation usually requires the Program Change message to be sent slightly ahead of the change of pattern. You will probably have to insert the Program Change message on the QY70 a little before the end of the previous pattern.

The exact behaviour will depend on anything you have set for CH.LEN and M.LEN in the DN’s SCALE menu for the pattern.

Excellent clarification, thanks much!