Change of plan: cutting down to the minimum

Hi all,
I am in a process of rethinking what I am expecting from my involvement with making music. I have spent the last couple of years trying various setups and various ways of working. Buying, selling, thankfully without loosing much money in the process…
I have had a good break now due to a water issue in our house: had to pack everything away for many months and the only times I setup was with only a couple of machines at a time. Digitakt with one synth, NDLR with soft/hard synth, MFB Tanzmaus with effects, sound designing with only one synth at a time (Deepmind 12, AS-1, Microfreak, Blofeld, Streichfett) etc… It has been enjoyable to only concentrate on only a few bits of gear at a time and I have come to the conclusion that I was suffering from gear paralysis :slight_smile: It may sound stupid but I believe every single one of us goes through a process in their path to making music. Mine has come to the point where I want to cut down to the minimum. I want hands on control, improvisation on the spot and jam oriented type of fun. NO COMPUTER involved. Sound designing on Blofeld and AS-1 have proven very time consuming, leading to very little music making in the end… Therefore I have decided to part with most of my gear.
I recently got a Subharmonicon and a DFAM is on its way. I will pair these with various effects (Specular v3, Doctor A and Analog Drive). I will also throw the Digitakt in the equation :slight_smile: That will be it for the moment. I am selling my MFB Tanzmaus to be replaced by DFAM and DT (more than enough for my small brain… DT will also serve the purpose of sample mangling, granular at times) and Blofeld will also have to go. I am still pondering selling my Deepmind 12, Microfreak and Streichfett… I only want to experiment with beats, semi modular, effects and mainly techno and ambient jams.
My plan is to have Subharmonicon through Specular v3 into DT input 1. DFAM through Analog Drive through Doctor A into DT input 2. I will be keeping my old MOTU UltraLite Mk3 and a FMR RNC just in case :slight_smile:
I have decided to move on and take the plunge.
What’s your take on that? Any advice before I proceed to the “immediate gear selling regret” section?

12 Likes

my approach is keeping all gear i love (which is obviously more than i need), but using very few pieces of gear at once, and rotating things from time to time (mostly when i feel stagnating with particular setup).

22 Likes

I’m on the same train.

The decision that’s difficult for me to make is which specific machines to keep. Like you, I’d like to use very few - the idea being to focus on them and get to know them like the palm of my hand.
(e.g. much like a guitar becomes like a natural extension of the hands of a guitar player).
So the instruments have to be chosen very carefully.
I haven’t found the right usability/depth balance yet.

As of now:

• Eventide Space
  • Eventide TimeFactor
  • Norand Mono
  • Most probably a looper of some sort. So far I’ve been using the 4-track tape of the OP-1, but it’s not super convenient. I’m considering the upcoming Boss RC-505 MKII or a 1010music Blackbox.
1 Like

Applicable to this Edmund Eagan and Gaz Williams, talk about something similar, in a video i linked in this thread.

They talk about learning and playing, one electronic instrument like a classical instrument. Eagan said that many good performers on the Continuum limit themselves to just a few patches and really learn the intricacies of those patches alone.

4 Likes

I’m on-board with this approach too. For the first time, I’m currently selling a load of gear without intending to spend the proceeds on some other new piece of gear. It’s a strangely great feeling.

The gear I’m keeping acknowledges that I have various ways of working:

Portable but housebound - Ableton on a laptop with Push 2 and a MOTU M2

Portable anywhere - iOS devices of various sizes and ages with external battery packs and wired / Bluetooth controllers

Desktop - Ableton with the Push an NI Z2 running Traktor via Phase

DAW-free - Launchpad Pad Pro 3 sequencing 4 of:

• an Akai CD3000XL with the 8 outputs running through guitar pedals
  • 2 Pajen FW Volca Samples (one as a 4 voice poly running single cycle waveforms and the other as a percussive tool with 99 glitchy noises from a myriad of sources in it)
  • Moog Werkstatt via Doepfer Dark Link
  • 0-Coast
  • MS-20 Mini

I mean… when I write it all down it’s not that minimal :eyes:

4 Likes

I am for this. Get a storage rack of some kind and bring out what you want to use on demand.

I keep most of my cables already plugged in so only the gear needs swapping.

Don’t sell anything you have love for.

4 Likes

@chaocrator
I appreciate your approach though for financial reasons and in the spirit of moving on, I have to let go some of my gear.
Reasons:
Blofeld: sound designing is made through an app on Mac, which cuts the whole process of “making music”. For me anyway. Not enough hands on in my opinion although it is a good source of weird sounds, pads and other things for what I am after (techno / ambient jams).
AS-1: same issue as Blofeld although I love its sound and effects. Leads and basses are very good.
Streichfett: good string machine. Will probably decide between this and my Deepmind 12.
Microfreak: hands on no problem, variety of OSC. Good “all rounder”, a bit like Deepmind 12.
Tanzmaus: yet on sale :slight_smile:
After writing this I realize the choice is far from being made :weary:

1 Like

Although I am with you on this, I have learnt to not develop any kind of attachment to these machines.

1 Like

@Omar
We are in the same boat indeed :slight_smile:
Digitakt and 2 pieces of gear plus effects :slight_smile:
I realize working with effects is a path I am interested in as they are part of music creation as much as instruments.

1 Like

@Jukka
As ever, your input and advice seem to be very welcome everytime :slight_smile:
Will indeed look into this thread.
Thanks

1 Like

Hahaha!!!
I know :pensive::arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down:

2 Likes

Reading and writing through this, I also realize experimentation is an important factor for me.
I also look at the fact that machines that can save patches and store hundreds of them are not my cup of tea. I suppose I am into creating a piece of music that would live once and would not be possible to reproduce exactly… Short lived would the word?

6 Likes

go modular :woozy_face:

5 Likes

I have a table with exactly 1m width, 60cm depth for whatever I want to do with it.
I have no other chance than putting small setups together.
Anyway, more than 2 sequencer are to much anyway for my monkeyhead.

6 Likes

Honestly sometimes you just gotta do what feels right. Scratch that itch. I am probably going to sell a good amount of gear and really focus on what is important. Once I got a 2nd table and I put my gear on it, I realized it’s time to think about it. There’s missing and then there’s “I had a good run with that kit, and I learned new things because of it”

1 Like

Did you just read my mind?
It scares me in a way but I am already (without any knowledge…) planning a small skiff for messing time divisions on my DFAM and Subharmonicon. Also looking at LFOs and Envelopes… :weary: Here we go… I know I want to start small but have no idea where from…

1 Like

Mine is 120x60 and did manage to stuff it in a way that gave me gear paralysis…
OK I also had a side table where my old Midas Venice 160 (sold) was sitting.
And a lot of higher stands, and a spare keyboard stand for effects…
The never ending story…

1 Like

I am in that mood right now.
What “feels right” though, is another story :joy:

1 Like

I’d recommend starting with a ZOIA Euroburo if you want to start “small”.

A lot of the workflow and benefits it’s in there, specially ways of controlling CV.

If you then discover paths you’d like to go deeper you can go and buy other modules that does that more focused.

1 Like

I’m having a lot of fun with the immediacy of the Moog trio + a bunch of pedals.
I periodically hook up something with drums or samples to add a bit of extra spice, often simply plugging in a pocket operator or Model Samples on the side. Factor in the weird and wonderful stuff to be found across the patch bays and I’m having a great time.
Every evening a new vista of sound :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes