Change of plan: cutting down to the minimum

Will look into this :slight_smile:
Never heard of this one.
Thanks

1 Like

I hear you.
For me as of now it will be DFAM, Subharmonicon, Digitakt, Analog Drive, Specular v3 and Doctor A :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am after this indeed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess the significant thing is the type of stuff Iā€™m getting rid off. Having finally understood that the workflow I have is one Iā€™m very, very happy with, anything that doesnā€™t fit that workflow is superfluous and can be moved on.

2 Likes

I have not yet found that workflow though.

1 Like

The ridiculous thing is that it took me a long time to discover the right workflow for me, but even when I had arrived at that point it took me a few years to actually realise it!

2 Likes

To the OP, I think cutting down to a minimum amount of gear is very wise and not really silly at all. I think it takes time to find the timbres and tones that appeal to you personally, which takes investing in gear that may or may not work for you. As you said, we all go through it. I agree with you that having less gear creates more focus and a higher reward. I think your idea of the Moog trio + pedals is great; however, in my experience those Moogs have a very specific sound, and if that sound isnā€™t your thing, you might be back to square one. Personally, I make gear changes one thing at a time so I can really explore the instrument and make a decision. Hope you find your path!

4 Likes

Same. Whenever I only have one piece of gear, I never think about anything other than what I can use it for. That can be a sampler or a camera. As soon as I add more (which I always do!) I get paralyzed thinking about the gear.

I spent the last year away from making music, after losing the will to do it (like many of us I suspect). I spent some time away and my friend had a Spanish classical guitar, which totally got me back on the music wagon (I play guitar).

And of course, I set up my old boxes, dusted off the apps, added an Octatrack (my secondā€”sold the first a couple of years ago). And then I was in gear mode again.

My answer is similar to yours. Slim it down, keep it simple. For me I like guitar, Octatrack, and Digitone. Plus a few guitar pedals, but I broke that habit years ago, so my pedals are more like utility tools and donā€™t count :wink:

Thatā€™s about right. The other advantage is that these boxes work super well together, so using the DN with the Octatrack is easy.

I also tried digging into iOS apps, but every time I try that, something glitches and breaks the flow.

I still use Ableton though. Love it for recording and arranging. So easy.

4 Likes

Careful you may have attachments youā€™re not even aware of.

Itā€™s inevitable.

1 Like

As I posted in the ā€˜most productive setupsā€™, I think thereā€™s a lot of benefits to downsizing your setup.

For me, Iā€™m by far most creative and productive using a single sampler/sequencer/groovebox as the brain, and 1 single keyboard synth as both controller and soundsource.

I find that having a minimal setup really forces you to get the most out of the setup you have, and thereā€™s often so many options and workflows to explore using just a few pieces. It feels great to really master a machine that way.

6 Likes

As someone who spent the last couple of months neglecting his Elektron boxes to acquire Eurorack, I wouldnā€™t recommend it as a way of cutting back. Of course everyone approaches it differently, but by nature acquisitions are incremental, and ā€œIā€™ll stop when I fill this small caseā€ does not seem to work. (Not speaking personally here, I started with a fair amount of space, just basing this last remark on what Iā€™ve observed on forums.)

If you do go this route, hang onto the Microfreak, as you can get one channel of pitch/gate CV out of it, and use its arpeggiator and sequencer. It wonā€™t supply an LFO, unless I misunderstand the manual.

1 Like

No intention to sell everything at the same time. Tanzmaus will go replaced by DFAM. Subharmonicon will ā€œreplaceā€ Blofeld.

Still keeping a laptop at hand for recording/multi-tracking :slight_smile:

Fully agree.

I am just looking at it to mess up quantization on DFAM/Subharmoniconā€¦ Maybe LFOs or functions modules? I know what you are saying, though, reading forums on the topicā€¦

Noted :slight_smile:
Will also keep Keystep and NDLR in this regard.

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying it canā€™t be done. But it will take discipline!

1 Like

Iā€™ve just gone through the same process as the OP.

Ended up with a 6u modular case full of shit and a Lyra 8.

Best of luckā€¦

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

3 Likes

i ended up too with gear that doesnĀ“t have presets or I donĀ“t care about presets.
last year I bought a computer again with a small good quality soundcard.
a DAW is such a great minimal thing if you just use it for recording and editing.
hard to resist but not using VSTs or FX at all in a DAW made a whole new experience for me.

5 Likes

Totally agree with that. Reason why I want to remove my computer from the equation in the process. Except for recording.

Interestingā€¦

I have done the same for a long time. Reverb and delay, and as much EQ as I need, but thatā€™s it. I never clicked with plugins, so I never got into collecting them.

I do like Overbridge, though, but only for sync and inputs.

2 Likes

Itā€™s easier to sell instruments if you can feel good about what youā€™ve learnt from them.
I started ITB, got frustrated and have spent a few years trying to do everything in hardware, and now I think itā€™s time to get back on the DAW horse. So I plan to sell some instruments, and Iā€™ve gone back to Bitwig - but the experience of using it again feels quite new. There are so many features (esp. stuff like modulators and the Grid in Bitwig) that make sense to me now because Iā€™ve used them in hardware, where I would have largely ignored them in the past. And the OT has taught me the value of learning the seemingly dull parts of your electronic instrument; so I spend time learning keyboard shortcuts, file structures, those boring little things that ultimately make the experience so much faster and less frustrating. The Octatrack taught me that. I might sell it, but if I do it wonā€™t be with a sense of failure.

4 Likes

I have exactly that size! On it fits OT, Rytm (front row), Volca FM, Tetra, Evolver (middle row), Virus TI, Avalon+RAT, Monotron (back row). Above this is modular & monitors on a shelf. Still too much for me to learn!

@vasidudu Modular is amazing and I will recommend it to anyone but it is not going to help you with gear paralysis (or your bank balance)!

3 Likes