CF Folders / Files

Hi, new user so these may well be obvious/stupid questions…

How do you manage your samples on the CF card?

I bought mine second hand and at the moment the structure of the CF card that came with it is like this:

Octatrack>Presets>Audio>Elektron> samples are in here.

Is that the right route? Or is the Elektron folder something that the old user created?

When I transfer my own samples across, can I have lots of sub-folders, like one for kicks, one for synths etc. etc. or do they all have to go into the one big pool and I’ll just have to name them really carefully to be able to find them?

Also in the folder Octatrack>Presets>Presets> what are these files in here ending in .strd or .work? Looks like Set/Project/Bank info. Is that right?

Where will .ot chain files get saved? Or if I make some, where should I put them? In with the samples, or in with the presets?

Lots of questions… Thanks :slight_smile:

Yes by factory samples are there, and also in Octatrack>Presets>Audio>Loopmasters .

Yes I think if you transfer samples things are more manageable if you invent some directory hierarchy. That said, be aware when sampling things are placed just in /audio,

(here ‘presets’ is the name of the default set)

Since the default presets/presets directory structure is imho confusing (first is the set name, second is project name), I renamed mine to set/main (main is the project name, I only have one set and one project so far, so no need for sophisticated namings).

Welcome!

1 Like

You can name your samples whatever you want below the audio pool, just keep in mind that once you assign a sample to a machine (so start using it), and rename later, the sample won’t be found so the result is silence (unless you reassign to the new sample name, of course)
So a little planning might be needed.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

So am I right in thinking I can delete both of the ‘presets’ folders once I have created a new ‘main’ (or whatever I call it) set?

Also, I’ve just created some chains to use. Where do I put the .ot file?

You could just format the card using the OT and it will make a clean folder for you. It will ask to name a set and a project afterward, and all will be good.

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks

1 Like

Except you might want to keep a backup copy of the factory samples, they might be useful later (but nothing too special)

1 Like

I use magic.

Arguably not, and a bit convoluted. Make a backup of the Presets, as they are not recoverable / redownloadable if you delete them. Nothing overly special there, but better safe then sorry.

I would say “normal/best” options is:

\Set Name\Audio : This is where all your samples available to Projects in the set will be. You can of course create subfolders in there to organise them better.

Yes, create sub-folders as required / suits you, e.g.

\Set Name\Audio\Kicks
\Set Name\Audio\Snares
\Set Name\Audio\BassHits
\Set Name\Audio\Loops

• arrNN.work : Arragements / Song files
  • bankNN.work : Banks, containing banks, patterns, parts etc.
  • markers.work : Sample slice details
  • project.work : Project settings file.

xxxx.strd : I am not entirely sure what these files are, AFAIK they are not requred, and I think that they are just temp files the OT uses when internally upgrading an old project to a new OS version.

Not sure, as I’ve never used them… I’m aware of the utility that creates them, but never played with it. I would probably suggest with the samples, so they are in the same hierarchy as the related sample chain audio file.

Regardless, these should then get converted into markers, which will reside in the markers.work file.

PS: Don’t listen to me as I don’t have a clue what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

xxxx.strd : I am not entirely sure what these files are, AFAIK they are not requred, and I think that they are just temp files the OT uses when internally upgrading an old project to a new OS version.

Interesting, I thought that .work and .strd means that one of them is the current (autosaved) version, and there is a version for the last ‘save project’, which can be reloaded if you do something nasty.

Where will .ot chain files get saved? Or if I make some, where should I put them? In with the samples, or in with the presets?

The .ot files are saved just next to the corresponding .wav file (same directory, same name just the extension differs). I think they contain other metadata as well not just the slicing info, like bpm of the sample, should loop, gain level, etc…

PS: Don’t listen to me as I don’t have a clue what I’m talking about.

Lol.

1 Like

Interesting, I thought that .work and .strd means that one of them is the current (autosaved) version, and there is a version for the last ‘save project’, which can be reloaded if you do something nasty.

That’s absolutely true!

Hi. More infos on .ot and marker.work differences and their purpose ?

About .ot files, from manual : “SAVE SAMPLE SETTINGS will save the trim, slice and attribute settings in a separate file and link it to the sample currently being edited. Next time the sample is loaded to a Flex or Static sample slot it will be loaded together with the saved sample settings. This will occur even if the sample is loaded in another project.”

On the Cf card, the .work files are the auto-save files and the .strd (stored?) are the saved files. The project.strd and project.work files are identical when you just saved the project.

In these files I succeeded to copy a list of samples from another project to merge it.
It may be the same principle on OctaEdit.

It’s very different in OctaEdit.

I understood that with you’re app, you modify the CF files, I thought it could be especially those files. So how does it work? :slight_smile:

I’m trying to find a better way to organize my OT projects and I’m wondering how projects would work with subfolders.

For example, right now I have:
Set001\NIN MeI’mNot
and
Set001\GlobularBePatient

Both are remixes I was working on and I’d like to have them in a Set001\Remixes folder
Set001\Remixes\NIN MeI’mNot
Set001\Remixes\GlobularBePatient

Is that possible or will the OT not be able to find any files that are in those folders anymore?

La da da da, la da da dee.

3 Likes

Sorry for digging up this old thread but my question seems to fit best here.
I created several Sets for my various use cases for the OT and when I enter USB Disk Mode I can see all of them except for one. The folder I´m missing on the computer is definitely on the OT and works as I have been using it recently and when wanting to load a sample I only saw an empty Audiopool. So I entered Disk Mode to load some samples in and that´s when I realized that this one is missing for some reason. Any idea what the problem might be? I´m on a Mac (10.14) and checked for hidden files/folders but it´s just not there…

Could be that you do not have a Set folder per se, but are using the root folder?

The missing folder is listed in the “Choose A Set” screen on the OT as all the other ones but this one specific folder does not show up on the desktop browser.