CEO job at elektron...decide whether Digitakt gets song mode

Well shit, if I was given the opportunity to mix & match the software features for the OT (remove most of the effects and add more reverb and delay options, even a software synth), I would gladly pay money for it.

Cloud doesn’t count as DAW or do I need to find a new hashtag for my dawless jams…??

Hehe…

aka Digitakt Song Mode.

3 Likes

ah shit, I was wondering why the Make Noise thread went silent for four hours…

I see all the wild speculations have come here!

19 Likes

You forgot your pricing scheme too

• MD MK3 - same as a mark 2 but black - 2199
  • MM MK3 - same as a mark 2 but black - 2499
  • OT MK3 - same as anniversary edition but remove arranger/songmode - 1799
  • Song Mode per device (SaaS Subscription) - 24.99/month
  • Overbridge per device (Saas Subscription) - unknown yet - need to figure out the cost of developers to actually bring it outta beta and workable
  • New Product - Overhub MK2 - USB hub for all boxes to make them all class compliant hosts - 299 (2 port model), 399 (4 port model)

But if you start serving Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream, this will show extremely poor judgement and probably won’t keep your job for long.

3 Likes

All hail the new Elektron overlord!

Chief Elektron Overseer

If Elektron start a subscription service I’m more curious what brave new ideas they are inclined to pair it with.

I hate to sound like a consoomer, but I’m open to spending money on a valuable service. Given Elektron’s past I can’t figure it in to their presented model- so it raises my curiosity rather than gives me a feeling of dread

4 Likes

CEO - Cash Elektron Overbridge? :wink:

Elektron DigiModular confirmed?

2 Likes

:loopy: oh my I would’nt hesitate one bit, thank god we are born with multiple kidneys

Personally I think Elektron will regret switching too far away from its current hardware centric offering (ignoring Overbridge). As software what’s to stop it ending up as yet another VST software brand on some Beatport / NI Francisco Partners platform? Their sequencers are great but that’s largely down to their haptics (i.e. hardware).

Hardware was how the company was forged and where it’s future remains.

They may be having difficulties switching away from old fashioned NXP Coldfire but surely they must eventually find a way to port their dsp code onto ARM. Why is it taking them so long?

Saas doesn’t seem like a solution at all to me.

5 Likes

Your nostalgia is blinding you to the possibilities of the future :slight_smile:

Think of this, a Reason type of environment consisting of a software version of every Electron box ever made. Call it Über-Bridge. All this and anything Elektron will ever release is yours for a monthly fee (SaaS).
Add the long awaited Octatrack MK 3, AKA Megatrack. Now consider that the Megatrack hardware unit controls Über-Bridge seamlessly and can also load all the software instruments as “machines” in stand alone mode (a-la Roland “Plug-Out”). Über-Bridge sessions load on Megatrack (like MPC Live/MPC Software) up to a certain number of tracks.

“We’re sorry. Your subscription to STEREO OUTPUT has expired. You pay now.”

4 Likes

Personally, I think the incoming CEO should try to deeply understand the culture of the talent pool and their motivation behind working on these products and not abandoning ship to go over to some random “tech company” down the street.

What makes Elektron special, to me, is that it feels like your loyal friend inviting you over to play retro video games. Use your hands, enjoy the blinky lights and the chunky glowing graphics.

10 Likes

Greatest CEO power move of our era

A new CEO could only mean one thing: they’re finally hiring a visionary to make the Model battery handle pack a reality!

17 Likes

Jokes aside, looking at the numbers shows the truth. The “model:” product line and to make Overbridge a paid subscribtion makes total sense.

17 million krona (2 047 123 $) loss year 2019 is nothing to shrug off. I really hope they can find new ways to generate revenue. I personally have no need for Elektron software when creating music, even less if it is subscribtion based.

But I’m really hoping they can turn the numbers around. Elektron is a breath of fresh air on the market. My Octatracks role is unchallenged in my setup since 2015. And my Digitone won’t be going anywhere either.

2 Likes

For an idea of where Elektron may be headed with this Saas:

£20 per month forever… :frowning:

1 Like

SaaS for this kind of companies is just shit for the users, hope Elektron is not going that way.

9 Likes