CEO job at elektron...decide whether Digitakt gets song mode

I think he is the current CEO right?

The idea of SaaS does not necessarily have to be negative or predatory. Ideally, it should lower the barrier for would-be Elektronauts (even the cheapest Elektron product is $300 US). They tried charging for OB, but in the SaaS industry, if your product doesnā€™t provide enough value, users simply take their subscription elsewhere.

Think about what a SaaS type offering can provide in a hybrid software/hardware form that doesnā€™t rely on the hardware hype cycle. We all love updates to our machines, but for many of us, Elektron has not seen a dime since we initially bought them (they were indeed expensive, but still, the OT is 100x better than at launch). Other companies quickly abandon hardware as the next yearā€™s model comes out.

I think itā€™s fair to be open minded, knowing that we have the option of just not participating if the value isnā€™t there. Subscription fatigue is real, but Iā€™m interested to see what they have cooking up.

8 Likes

tbh Iā€™d trust whatever theyā€™re doin is gonna be amazing.

if they eventually turn into a sh1tcorpā„¢ then so be it, but I donā€™t see that happening :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Having previously worked at the director-level of a big saas company, Iā€™m going to apply.

When I get the job Iā€™m going to call an all-hands. 3 slide PowerPoint. ā€œMachinedrum mk3ā€. ā€œMonomachine mk3ā€. ā€œOctatrack mk3ā€.

Everybody claps, I drop the mic, icecream is served.

79 Likes

Congratulations, Sir: you got the job!

18 Likes

Remember when Elektron brought out the Machinedrum, when the idea of a hardware drum machine was about as popular as Rick Astley at a goth convention?

Then when they brought out the Octatrack at a time when even Akai seemed to be abandoning the idea of hardware samplers?

And when they brought out the Digitone, a digital synth during peak analogue that literally no-one asked for but is now almost universally respected?

Whatever Elektron are up to, Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™ll be both nothing anyone asked for and everything a lot of us want. Itā€™s kinda what they do.

52 Likes

:partying_face:

I want the Everything MK1

my brain canā€™t handle the constant evolving options anymore.

2 Likes

This SaaS part could be a way to add machines or FX to existing hardware (or the hardware that is to come along in the next few years). It would certainly render a lot of the feature requests null and void. Want an extra filter on your box? Get it for 50 bucks at Elektron.se. Need two LFOs in place of that FX module you never use? Download it today. Need an extra clap for your drum machine? Same deal. Customise your hardware how you like (within a given CPU limit). Elektronā€™s ecosystem of virtual modular soft/hardware!

6 Likes

Subscription services can really help a business even if it is not the main revenue stream. I have faith in Elektron.

1 Like

Yeah, as long as they donā€™t go down the route of having to pay to be able to turn on your machine, I think itā€™s all good. Iā€™d rather pay to enable gear to be updated with cool new features over its lifespan in a sustainable way, rather than force companies into a business model where e.g. they just have to focus on new hardware all the time to make enough money

4 Likes

And heā€™s a huge hit with goths everywhere now too; at least the ones I know, anyway.

6 Likes

My advice to CEO candidates is that Elektron needs to invest appropriately if they want to succeed in the software market. From the perspective of this customer, their software division does not sit on a strong foundation for growth. Overbridge works only sometimes for me, and always with headaches.

And the sole benefit I seek through Overbridge is the ability to record audio to multiple Logic tracks simultaneouslyā€“an incredibly basic integration! I donā€™t use any other aspect of the plug-in. I control the hardware using the hardware because itā€™s well designed for that purpose. Yet multi-tracking is overly complicated to set up, rarely works as expected, and not worth a penny more than Iā€™ve already paid.

Software is a different business and needs heavy investment, especially in the SAAS modelā€¦ it takes years for SAAS businesses to generate cash.

They were looking for a Bluetooth experienced engineer at one point too?
I was thinking what if their next product was an all digital elektron sequencer which you could download plugins for? A platform built with expansion in mind.
Sort of like the roland aira/plug out stuff.

3 Likes

As long as the Software part can finance the Hardware part, Iā€™m in.

2 Likes

Youā€™re the man with the plan!!

I donā€™t think that this necessarily means a move away from hardware, or even to hardware dependent on software, hope not, in any case.

Luddite rant

SaaS - Youā€™ll own nothing and youā€™ll be happy :laughing:

Personally Iā€™m not a fan of the move away from ownership of property, I donā€™t like cloud services much either, the Roland cloud is pretty crap IMHO. Half assed implementation, flaky, rage inducing at times.

Still, Iā€™m probably looking at it differently than most people, and it definitely seems to be the way the world is headed, for better or for worse.

Pay a while, pay forever! :joy:

8 Likes

Rent to own is a much better option for consumers imho and would not leave you with useless project files/plugins/etc. after you opt out. And would probably convince more people into it since they donā€™t have to put a bigger amount of cash on the table at once. But probably a little less profitable for the company than subscriptions only.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking forward to downloading a analog filter for my Octatrack

7 Likes

I promise, if I am chosen, to uphold the high standards, weā€™ve come to expect. I will fight to include song mode not just within all Elektron products, but within song mode itself. I will make it a priority that the Machinedrum MK3 is released, and I will ensure that we release the best fx/mixer Digi thing to ever be seen.
Iā€™m Jdaddy and I approve this message.
Who wants to help me make a resume?

4 Likes