Captain Pikant Syntakt Review/Tutorial (Aphex Twin on Syntakt)

Hello everyone! Here’s our review of the Syntakt, along with a lot of tips and tricks as usual. We’ve been fans of Elektron gear for a very long time, but we’re also being very honest about workflow problems, temperature related sound changes and other things you should be aware of before buying. We wanted to see what the sequencer is really capable of, so among other classic patterns we meticulously programmed an Aphex Twin song using only the Syntakt especially for this review. We learned a lot in the process and we’ll share some tips and workarounds in an upcoming video. Thanks for watching :slight_smile:

48 Likes

Nice video, I very much agree re: more hihat machines.

4 Likes

Super deep video with excellent presentation and sound. Well done and thank you.

1 Like

Reliably detailed and balanced overview, thank you.
The findings regarding temperature were really interesting! I understand it’s part and parcel of analogue but just so insightful to see the incremental change to the sound with temperature increase!

2 Likes

I‘m afraid having no GAS for the syntakt so far might change for me if I watch the video…

4 Likes

Syntakt is a Fuel Machine for sure. :innocent:

I’ve the constant feeling after weeks of use (and some reviews such as this confirms it) that ST is not the best modern Elektron device but totally has the potential to be it. I know you have to purchase for what the device is at that moment and not based on potential upgrades but if the same upgrade pattern all the other devices had is repeated here, this is gonna be a BEAST. but I feel we’re not quite yet there.

6 Likes

And very good review BTW!

1 Like

Absolutely. I remember back when the Digitakt was released, it was a very different machine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s already stellar in my eyes, fun to imagine how it may grow as a platform.

3 Likes

Great video!

Would love the Mini Pops tutorial!

I’ve been using the Synth Bits machine’s noise half as an alternate for digital hats

6 Likes

I’ll try to include some of the other Minipops sounds that weren’t used in Oxygène as well :slight_smile: Yeah the Synth Bits machine is awesome, it’s my go-to for so many things. I managed to make the Quijada sound with it as well.

6 Likes

Great video - really like your style and honesty.

1 Like

The situation with the temperature related filter pinging sound changes happens with my rytm mk2 as well. But yeah when I first start my Syntakt sometimes there’s a little clicking on the filter resonances until it warms up

Really nice video, well done! Glad you called out the lack of kits/any other way to sync your pattern sounds. Curious to see what your workaround is!

Edit: and also glad you called out how fiddly working with sound locks is, I’m sure there’s room for improvement here

2 Likes

Enjoyed the video, look forward to the follow up.

1 Like

Thanks! Anything specific you want to see included?

Mini pops tutorial :grin::+1:t2:

3 Likes

Please Community lets ask for voice stealing on the syntakt
or something like a slave-mode, for tracks o be slaved by a polyphonic track…
Best wishes to you all!

1 Like

Use midi tracks ! It steals voices. :pl:

1 Like